Stabilzer Support

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Dadboni, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Dadboni

Dadboni New Member

With my Aliner Classic, is it necessary to put something (wood, stepping stone, leveling block, etc) between the stabilizer foot pad and the gound?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota.

Necessary? No, not necessary, but it can help in several ways. It helps keep the stabs from sinking into soft ground and can help the stab reach the ground if your are on uneven ground. It can also help keep the foot pad a little cleaner.

I always use a chunk of 2x4 on mine.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I don't always, unless I'm going to be on loose ground or have to extend the stabilizer almost fully. There have been times esspecially if I camp on loose ground where I would have to re-tighten the stabilizer because of shifting. Providing a bigger footprint I less likely need to redo the stabilizer.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

As a general rule we do not carry "something" to go between the foot pad and the ground. If needed the ground is so soft you may want to reconsider where you are parking. Most campsites have gravel fines as a bed. You may wish to take 4 pieces of wood for the first 6 months just to reassure yourselves.

In order to help people help you you may wish to add the year and model of your Aliner to your signature.(see personal details) You may also add the general region you reside.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I always place a footer under the stabs and under the tongue this gives a firm footing with little or no movement of the unit

Sjm9911 and kcsa75 like this.
  6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I carry a set of 10 Lynx blocks. Each stabilizer usually gets one below it. If I didnt have to use any to level then the stabs will get 2 and the tongue jack will get 2. I have always camped on paved pads so it could be considered silly to use them but it's just less cranking.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  7. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Remember the function of the Stabs are to provide resistance to the camper moving/shaking. They are not designed to carry a heavy load. Your tires and nose wheel support the weight. Your stabs are like leaning up against the wall.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Not necessary, but handy. The stabs on both our Coleman popup and small TT have had sand pads, but still sank into the ground under some conditions. Using Lynx leveler blocks w/caps has helped that a lot. We don't use them on concrete, unless we need to do so for height - we use the blocks so the stabs don't have to be extended far out on sloped sites. (The stabilizers of the style we have had work best if not extended too far.) We do use them on asphalt, since it's required for the big rigs in some places, and asphalt can soften in the sun and heat, so we decided it was a good idea.

BikeNFish likes this.
  9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Great point. I have an asphalt driveway and also use wide boards under the tires and jack wheel when I park the pup there. If I don't, there will be asphalt displacement (indentations) on hot days.

kitphantom likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I try to use boards on all the stabs. I figure if i pick and chose i will forget to use them when there needed. There needed in soft, muddy or sandy pads. For me they just make the camper a bit morw stable, so less wobbling and movement. This is nice especially at night when people get up in bed.

kitphantom likes this.
  11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

we use Ikea “bed lifts” which are 6” tall truncated pyramids that nest and are very inexpensive

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

My pup came with 4 2x6 pads for this purpose. I use them every trip. Necessary? Not most of the time. But they take seconds to deploy, and I know some have bent their stabs by sinking in soft ground.

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

We use 6X6. squares to keep from sinking into the ground.

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have sand pads installed on our stabs and also place a Lynx Leveler block under the sand pads .. depending on the slope of the site I have placed an entire bag of 10 Lynx blocks under the stabs..

kitphantom likes this.