Stand alone 12v converter

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Matt Benoit, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Hey guys! Our new too us pup is coming along with mods and upgrades, but I've noticed something i wanted some advice on. The 12v power converter in the pup must have died long ago, and since the only thing running on 12v is 2 led lights (one overhead inside and a porch light outside), the previous owner decided to separate the 120v from the 12v, and bought an inexpensive 12v converter that plugs into a wall outlet on the dinette. It creates 12v @4A, and is tied directly into the circuits for the 2 lights. As far as i know, its been like this for awhile, and we've used the pup a few times without issue. My question is, should i leave it alone? Or should I replace/upgrade the main power center? The pup has no battery, no heater, no water pump, And we only camp where shore power is available...so is it really worth it to replace the converter? Thank you for your opinions.

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

If this works for you and is not broke do not fix it.

Matt Benoit likes this.
  3. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Agreed!

Matt Benoit likes this.
  4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Probably fine but the brand and model of converter would be helpful. I can't see it from here. [:D]

5. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

How do you switch to battery power when you don't have 120V available?

6. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

There is no battery. So no option to switch to battery power lol. We only camp where shore power is available... Typically 30a sites as we use ac alot

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I use the BLUE SEA 12VDC switches shown in this battery layout... In my case i have to have my batteries switched on-line to provide 12V DC power as required by DOT to operate my trailer Electric Brakes in the event the trailer becomes disconnected from the the truck when being pulled on the the State Public Roadways...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

My PD9260C Converter unit is stand alone mounted between the Power Distribution Panel where all of the 120VAc Circuit breakers and 12VDC Fuses positions are located as close to the main battery switch as i can get it and still be inside my OFF-ROAD Popup Trailer. All 12VDC primary cabling is 4AWG size using standard crimp-on ring terminal ends...Both the 12VDC Switched battery cables and the 12VDC DC outputs from the Converter unit feed the same point on the Power Distribution Center unit. This allows my OFF-ROAD Camper Trailer to operate from both 120VAC Shore Power connections and the 12VDC Battery bank setup.

[​IMG]
    Google Image

Typical 120VAC and 12VDC 30A Power Configuration for 30A RV Trailers...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017