Star Gazers

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by tombiasi, Dec 24, 2020.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Was anyone lucky enough to have a clear enough sky to see the Jupiter Saturn conjunction?

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

We did on the 21st. Clear, coolish, and windy on top of a hill. There was still some planet separation then. Jupiter was bright, Saturn was dim. I don't think it would be any brighter than Jupiter, even if aligned.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  3. tombiasi

Yes, Saturn is bright this time of year. It was too cloudy for me to see anything but a haze where the moon was.

4. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

I did. Followed it for a few weeks at 8:30pm on clear nights. Was cool to see the planets moving. Expect to keep an eye out still as they move.

Econ and Kyle R Thorson like this.
  5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

6. tombiasi

You got it.

BikeNFish likes this.
  7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

I watched it from the Skyline road above our neighborhood. My Celestron C90 gave a fuzzy view with Nikon D3300 on a T-ring mount at prime focus - something is wrong with the C90 - it has never been sharp. My old Swift Telemaster also gave a fuzzy view using same camera and the projection technique in the scope's manual. My other D3300 and a Nikon 70-300 AF-P DX lens gave smaller but sharper blobs of light. I never did try the wife's stabilized Canon binoculars. My old Bogen alt-az tripod head is sticky (despite cleaning and regreasing) and moves a smidgen when you tighten the clamps - so its a disaster for astronomy. My tripod was a rock solid Gitzo for decades ago.

rescamilla and Econ like this.
  8. lc69hunter

lc69hunter Member

My 10X50 binoculars gave me a pretty good view. I could see both planets and one of the moons of Jupiter. The rings of Saturn were nothing but fuzz.

rescamilla and Econ like this.
  9. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

@BikeNFish
    Drove 100 miles to an abandoned WWII army airfield surrounded by bean fields to watch the Geminids in what the weatherman promised to be a clear night. The cloud cover did break up about 3:30 AM.

The conjunction lasted 10 minutes before the treeline at home.

rescamilla and BikeNFish like this.
  10. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

@Econ
    I took the pup to Kansas to witness the 2017 solar eclipse. We made a week long trip out of it.

It was 100% clear skies for the fours days leading up to the eclipse, then the day of the eclipse the sky was mostly clouded up. Luckily, about five minutes before totality, the clouds parted and we were able to see the full eclipse. Ten minutes after the sun came back out from behind the moon, the clouds again mostly covered the event. We were EXTREMELY lucky to see the total eclipse.

The final two days of the trip were also 100% sunny. Go figure.

southern gal, rescamilla and Econ like this.
  11. mandolinpicker

mandolinpicker Active Member

For once we had a clear sky and were able to see it. Brought out the telescope and could easily see Jupiter and four moons as well as Saturn and it's rings.

Will be ordering a new finder scope. Our telescope has the 'red dot' star finder which is next to worthless. Ended up finding the conjunction by focusing in on the peak of the neighbor's roof and going up from there.

southern gal, rescamilla and Econ like this.
  12. rescamilla

rescamilla Member

Damn! I had the same shitty experience. Couldn't see **** with all the "cloud" cover. Was going to share a pic from the Haunted Forest, minus the planets but 1.1MG is too large....

[;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}][;{}]

Econ likes this.
  13. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I was much underwhelmed by the conjunction. I didnt even bother to set up any of my scopes.

rescamilla likes this.
  14. wtyrrel

wtyrrel New Member

We didn't camp; but set up in our backyard and I got out my Busnells x60 spotting scope and looked at it. Saw the rings slightly, and the dots of 4 or so of Jupiter's moons.

Pommom70, Econ and southern gal like this.
  15. shotdowninflames

shotdowninflames New Member

Not from the conjunction, but I snapped some iPhone pictures that came out better than expected when out by Goblin Valley in October. Jupiter is the bright one above and just a hair to the right of the roof, Saturn is left of it.

Attached Files:

Econ likes this.
  16. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Are you shooting raw? When I do i have it print low res JPEG also and you can copy that and post.

17. penny

penny Well-Known Member

We had a lot of clear nights and enjoyed watching them come closer and closer together. Some nights just going out to look at them unaided, some nights with a telescope. It is a rare thing to see two planets in one field of view!! Being so low in the horizon just after sundown would not make for real steady viewing, still, I’m glad we saw it for several nights. Thing about astronomy is those perfect viewing nights are rare, regardless of our expectations. I guess we are too used to dramatic astrophotos to appreciate the thrill of peering through a backyard telescope.

Econ and Pommom70 like this.
  18. kcormier19

kcormier19 Member

The C90 it is a great little telescope. Sometimes the seeing conditions due make planets look a little out of focus. How has it been for viewing Wildlife for you?

19. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

The review make it seem great, which is why I am disappointed in mine. I need to spend some more time with it. Which will be easier now that I have a (new) smooth tripod head that does not move (tilt) when I lock it in position.

20. penny

penny Well-Known Member

We have 4 awesome telescopes, collected over years of off and on amateur astronomy. Good optics can be ruined by a bad mount. The scope that goes with us camping the most is a 60mm televue. I’ve been taking along a very good camera tripod and was less than enthused. Recently mounted it on a vixen porta and the view knocked me out...no limit to the sharpness, even up to 4mm eyepiece. The seeing was good that night. Next day was windy so didn’t even try that night. My fs102 I also gets mounted on that scope and it is borderline. I should try to find a better mount for such a good scope. It’s hard to find the compromise between portability and stability

Econ likes this.