Starcraft 3610 bed end roof patching

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by modan, Apr 29, 2014.

1. modan

modan New Member

Hi everyone,
    I researched a lot on PopUpPortal prior to purchasing my used 2009 Starcraft 3610 so now that I have a problem I know this is the place to go for sound advice.

When we got home from out last outing of 2013 I popped up the trailer because it was wet. It was a good thing I did because upon opening it I discovered that while tucking everything in I somehow flicked the toggle switch of one of the ceiling lights. I guess I'd already disconnected the extension cord so the light would have stayed off until I hooked the truck...and it was down when the truck got connected to it so I didn't know the light was on.
    When I popped it up I discovered that the heat from the bulb had melted through the light cover and stringy plastic was hanging down. Then I say the bed end...the heat melted through and thanks to folds in the fabric it burned 4 holes varying from 1/4" to 1" diameter.
    At the time I was furious beyond words so I dried it out, packed it up and put it away. Now that spring has finally arrived I'm ready to calm down and deal with the issue. The trailer is still tucked away in my garage so I can't confirm that the material is that I'm going to be patching so I'm hoping for some help.

Is the bed end roof vinyl or canvas?, I think It's off white vinyl outside but I don't remember if it's the same inside.

what's the best way to patch it?, I went to the local trailer place but they only had clear vinyl repair tape and the last thing I want if to patch the holes but have a clear reminder of the damage. I'm thinking that if I can get a coordinating coloured patch I'll cut the patch material into maple leaf shapes so when I look at the repair it'll be more satisfying than seeing the burn holes.

Where's the kill switch supposed to be for high wall Starcrafts?, when we bought it from Sicard RV and were doing the inspection the ceiling lights weren't working. The mechanic fought with it for an hour and eventually resolved the issue. I'm guessing that if there is a kill switch he bypassed it.

Any advice is appreciated
    Scott

2. gerryrobinson

gerryrobinson New Member

Sorry to here about your issue. I know the kill switch on a lot of campers with fold down galleys is in between the base cabinet and the top galley portion that folds. I found this in another thread that might be more applicable to your model though.

"Hi we have a 2009 starcraft centennial 3610 and since the galley is stationary the kill switch is on the left table seat."

As for patching the canvas, I'm afraid that I won't be of much help there. I would first check out a local seamstress or marine shop. They might be able to do some patch work on the canvas.

Good Luck.

3. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

This will be an easy fix. I used VLP to bond vinyl patches to the outside top vinyl (front and back vinyl patches), worked extremely well. I even used VLP to seal up a couple of pin size holes I found. Then I used a canvas patch for the inside to make it look nicer. Not sure what you have, but this combo works well. Ebay has all kinds of patches but if you want the colors pretty close you may have to take to a marine place. I know the marine place near me had an even better glue for vinyl but it was $25.

4. modan

modan New Member

Excellent!, i knew this was the place to go for answers.

I returned to the local trailer place with the melted light and was lucky to find it in stock. I spoke with the owner and he not only referred me to the guy he uses for vinyl/canvas repair, he also gifted me the light cover since there was no sku on it.
    I'll definitely be returning for any service thats outside my diy.

Thanks gerryrobinson, that's very helpful about the kill switch. Hopefully i can find it and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Thanks davekkk, i'm glad to hear this should be easy. Ill have to confirm if the inside is canvas because like you said, patching inside as well will make it look nicer.

I'll need a streak of sunny days so i can pull it out, set it up, get the patches and make repairs without letting water pour through the roof.

Thanks for the advice

Scott

5. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

Might want to fix or replace that kill switch. [MOD]