Starcraft battery wiring

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Jamiee74, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Jamiee74

Jamiee74 New Member

Good day.

Pretty crappy start to my vacation. Had a guy come off a ramp in his Benz, lost control and went through mu pop up. Have friends who have lent me theirs though... Kids are happy.

I've been tasked with installing a battery and am confused about the wiring. The middle wire in the pic has no fuse and is attached to the frame. I guess this is negative. The other two wires have 30A fuses on them. Would they both go to positive? Also, I think it's connect positive first then negative...correct?

Thx

Jamie IMG_20190808_180648.jpg

2. NavarWynn

NavarWynn Member

I would guess that is correct. Most likely the white is ground/frame/B-, as most trailers have a negative ground frame, and trailer wiring usually has white as the ground. Solid red being B+ also is pretty typical, and the fuses back that up (since, in theory, every B+ power leg should be fused). If you want to verify that, simply ohm out the cables to ground w/ your DMM. With everything switched off, your Red cables should read out very high resistance to the frame, and the white should read out nearly 0 ohms to frame. The hardest part might be finding some virgin (clean) metal on the frame to use as a ground test point.

3. Jamiee74

Jamiee74 New Member

Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter or test tools... So it would make sense that both wires with fuses would go to positive?

4. NavarWynn

NavarWynn Member

Yes. I would judge the chance of that being the case at well above 95%. I can't say for absolute certain of course, hence the recommendation you verify the circuit's resistance with a DMM, but the probability of something else... weird... being the case here is remote at best.

If your pup has a fridge (or was originally equipped with such), that explains the second B+leg. I'd predict that, likely, 1 goes to the converter, and 1 goes to the fridge. If you have a power lift, that would also (alternatively) explain the second B+ leg.

5. Jamiee74

Jamiee74 New Member

Cool. It does have a three way fridge. Which kind of makes everything come together and make sense. It's down now, but no ac power connected. I'll hook it up and maybe test the outside light.

Jamie

6. Jamiee74

Jamiee74 New Member

Connected wires, and lived to tell about it. Thanks for your inputs and reassurances. I hate electricity...

Jamie

neighbormike and NavarWynn like this.
  7. NavarWynn

NavarWynn Member

Glad to hear it! In fairness, 12VDC isn't particularly lethal, although quite capable of burning your pup to the ground if done wrong ;)

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The unfused wire is the ground ..... the other two go to the positive terminal.