Starcraft leveler failure

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Computerflake, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Computerflake

Computerflake Member

So I've got a 90 Starcraft Constellation and it has the legs that have springs that pull out and pop down into place. I have to use a metal rod to prop them up for levelling and I HATE this system! What's more, one of them pops out of place ever so often when I hit a big bump and drags across the road! I have to stop and push it back into place or strap it down with a bungee. I want to replace them but Starcraft welded them onto the frame.

Has anyone ever used a grinder to remove these types and put the scissor style levelers in place? I'd like to hear your story on replacing these awful things.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Those are stabilizers, not levelers, so you should only being used for stabilizing. On a popup, even the scissor style are only for stabilizers; the big RVs so have levelers. That being said, the style you have has always seems unwieldy to me. Our first popup had originally had that style. By the time we bought it. one was missing, and the other had been reassembled backwards. The more we dealt with that pup, the more we realized the maintenance and mods done by the original owner (we were the 3rd) was highly suspect. We ended up just using stack jacks, with those we could use 4, which made for more stability anyway.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have the same style on my Jayco. They should not be used for leveling- they are intended to stabilize only. One of mine is bent a little from a prior owner using them to level as well. Like yours mine are welded, and there is no easy way to mount replacement units without additional fabrication. My pup also rides low so if I bolted something to the frame I would have issues with speedbumps and inclines.

As a result I just live with them. BAL is what I use to level mine, works great.