Starcraft lift difficult?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by bluespruce, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:50 PM.

1. bluespruce

bluespruce New Member

We have a 2005 Starcraft centennial with a roof mounted AC. It is new to us and it seems difficult to crank up or seems like a lot of resistance. For comparison, we used to have a 2004 Starcraft we bought new back in 2004 and it didn’t seem as difficult to lift up. Granted, I was 15 years younger but i don’t remember there being this much resistance when lifting the top. That 2004 did not have a roof mounted AC. It is manual lift and while I can crank it up it seems like it should be easier. I’m middle aged (45) and while not as strong as I used to be I’m not exactly weak...

What should I check first? Or maybe it is just going to be difficult because it is a heavy top?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

The first thing that comes to mind is lubrication. Have you added grease to both lower zerks on the system? Lubricated the pulleys? How about lubricated the lift tubes?
    I had the same goshen lift system on my Dutchmen pup and regular yearly lubrication was/is crucial to keeping in operating smoothly.

1380ken likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If your new to you one has an AC it is much heavier than one without so it will feel different because of that too. It can also be because it needs to be lubed.

4. bluespruce

bluespruce New Member

Thanks for the responses.

I got under the trailer (it is low and not much clearance) as far as i could and got a grease gun on the zerk in the front. I didn’t find a zerk fitting in the back.

The previous owner apparently loved to grease as there is a lot of old grease on the ends. And the cable looks like a black rope that is twice the diameter of the cable there is so much old grease caked on it.

I’m thinking I need to clean off all the old grease if I want it to start working smoother. Can the cover of the lift system be taken off without all the guts of the system falling out? One product better than another to clean of the grease?

Is there an easy way to lube the lift springs in the tubes?

Thanks