Starcraft lift system

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by cwilems1, Mar 23, 2019.

1. cwilems1

cwilems1 New Member

Does anyone know what type of lift system the 2010 Starcraft 1224 model has? We recently bought ours used and a cable is broken (we think). We’d like to try to fix it ourselves if possible to save money, but we can’t find much about the camper online. We had to get the owners manual Fromm starcraft, but it looks to be a general manual for all models made that year and not specific to the 1224. Can anyone help?!

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

3. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I found PDF manuals for my 1984 by emailing Starcraft. They may have a few models but with some diagrams you'll see how the lift should operate. Make 2x4 supports for each corner. You'll need to get it up to work on it. Safety 3rd at least !!

4. cokes17

cokes17 New Member

Starcraft is owned by Jayco and have supposedly used the same lift system since '68. I have the same model but fortunately haven't had to dig into it too deep, but this document is really good. Good luck!

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/Jayco-Book2-k8g7.pdf
    popupparts.com seems good too

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

If it is the Goshen system like my 1997 Starcraft, then the broken cable is very easy to change. The cable is changed from underneath with the top down.

6. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Replaced my lift cable on my 06 Starcraft and yes, it is the Goshen system. I ordered mine directly from them. http://goshenstamping.com/

Garrity and J Starsky like this.
  7. Huskywalker

Huskywalker New Member

I want to piggyback on to this post. I am new to pop up camping. I have a 2002Starcraft. I read 2 manuals listed here regarding the lift system. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but getting that much into the lift system is more than I want to deal with especially since I would be working on the street. My popup’s symptoms are: I am unable to pop the door in place, the back of the camper is about 1 inch lower than the front, the Velcro cover that goes over the roof supports, on the door side of the camper does not go in a straight line and will not allow the Velcro to attach. See pictures attached. Are these symptoms a small adjustment needed from the outside of the pop up or possibly a larger problem that requires looking under the floor by a mechanic? If I need a mechanic to look at it in the floor what is realistic price range I can expect?
    Thank you

Attached Files:

8. davekro

davekro Active Member

For Older Starcraft's 1985 to 2000 (maybe to 2005?), they used the Shelby 5438 lift system. I'll plunk this info here in case those owners/users find this thread in their searching. If you still can't recognize your system, search this site for 'Goshen' and 'Shelby 5438' to find more info, rebuilds, etc.

1990-2000 Starcraft liftsystem Shelby 5438
    https://www.popupportal.com/threads/1990-2000-starcraft-liftsystem-shelby-5438.119981/#post-1222747

99 Starcraft Spacemaster - Shelby Winch questions
    https://www.popupportal.com/threads...r-shelby-winch-questions.112199/#post-1306721

Link to a PDF of the Shelby 5438 Lift System (1985 - 2000 (+?), + most 83 & 84's)
    Note: when this link opens, go to your downloads folder to find the PDF doc.
    https://rvworkshop.com/sc_images/Starcraft_1985___Newer.pdf

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Was it like this when you bought it or is this something that is a recent issue?

10. Huskywalker

Huskywalker New Member

It was not like this when I got it. I took it on a 3700 mile journey this summer. The last place we camped I noticed the screws at the top of the front lift support were loose and the support moved. I tightened down the screws on the front and the back on the door side of the pop up. The other side was fine. At this camp site, we also missed the back right corner when we unlatched the roof. I started to raise the roof before I realized it. I have been very cautious not to force anything on the pop up. If it gets difficult I stop and check.
    Thank you

11. davekro

davekro Active Member

Do you know what lift system that you have (Goshen, Shelby 5438, other)? If not, look under the floor/frame and snap a picture of the winch assy, or lift mechanism. See links in post # 8 above for what the Shelby 5438 system looks like (on my '99 10' box Starcraft Stardust). What model and box size is yours. My '99s lift struts are SS and wider than yours. I have not seen those before.

12. Huskywalker

Huskywalker New Member

I have the 2002 Starcraft M1701, 10 foot box. I Sen an email to Starcraft to see what lift system I had, they have not given me any answer yet. Said they needed to research it... I believe I have a Goshen, but not sure. The winch is at the front of the camper on the towing tongue. I am attaching pictures. If this isn’t what you were looking for let me know.

Attached Files:

13. davekro

davekro Active Member

Someone will likely recognize this system. I have a Shelby 5438. Yours is not a Shelby, which I believe you knew anyway, so I am of no help. But your pictures will help in answering your question. For others who are not sure what lift system they have, my 99's Shelby 5438 system crank is at the curb side rear side. It is unique because it has a male 'OVAL' shaft requiring a female oval end on the crank handle. https://www.larrycloth.com/tent-crank-and-camper-handle-pop-replacement-up-starcraft-older-1994 I just ordered this $14 (+ $4.50 shp) handle, so I could cut off the end and use it on a cordless drill to raise my 10' box's roof. :)