Starcraft roof lift winch system question.

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Fe4life, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Alli

Alli New Member

Yours is a different mechanism than ours, but maybe something will help. When I popped the pup up and got it "stuck" it was a rod down by the metal cable. When it's fully raised and cable is taught the "rod" catches and acts like a safety "brake." When that piece "catches" into place you are STUCK until you release the piece to drop the top. I get that my explanation is rough, but this pop up lifestyle is new.

Look at pic. You see the metal cable. Under that is the black rod that I was referring to. As the roof is raised that rod moved toward the metal. The rod is about as big as a straw and the end hooks onto the metal. I raised it too high/ overextended and that's where issue happened. The rod hooked over the metal. You can see the ground/opening.

The pic is from when the roof was stuck in "up" position. Once the hubs and I figured out what was going on and why it's been very easy to navigate. I can drop it down all by myself in about 15 min.

Attached Files:

2. Chido

Chido New Member

Does anybody knows where I can order a winch sistem like this?
    20180728_091048.jpg

3. SpacepiG

SpacepiG New Member

You can not as they went out of business 15 years ago. I found one used system online for $650!!! It is a shelby 5438.
    What is the problem? I restored mine for approximately $30 and if you can describe the issue i can tell you how to fix it, i have taken it apart many times. See my post for starcraft liftsystem.

4. Chido

Chido New Member

The threads on the gear are gone, also the threads on the shaft are damage 20180801_155937.jpg 20180801_155954.jpg 20180801_155954.jpg

5. SpacepiG

SpacepiG New Member

250C9DF3-CBBC-4244-9CB4-46D17B6872BC.jpeg I had same issue. I milled out an area in the middle, welded it, drilled it and threaded it with left hand 5/8-11 and re threaded the shaft as well.
    If you or your work do not have the tools then go to a machine shop/tractor tepair and they should be able to do it for $40-$50

6. ManiN

ManiN Member

Was having issues on my Shelby where it got stuck trying to lower the top that was sitting up for 3 weeks. It ended up coming loose with just a slight turn on the cable drum which seemed hung up for some reason. All's well now with some lube.

Curious though, I was worried it may be having thread issues such as shown in your pics. How did this happen? Did someone over crank it? Was it jammed and someone tried to just keep cranking through the resistance? I'd like to avoid this stripping the threads out on the gear if I can help it.