Start of my off road / boon-docking camper

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by 2 spoke, Sep 28, 2020.

1. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

Very much at the front of the list . Very bouncy

2. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

Nice !!! . I’ll be posting a pick later this week you’ll enjoy

3. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

9FCBCF93-5F7E-40E7-AD44-2E000B8BC84B.jpeg Finally taking it out for a test run before heading north . Pulled straight and love the AD033C98-2F10-4447-AC07-78A6AA0AEE60.jpeg

Jim K in PA likes this.
  4. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

BB9AF6BD-C85C-4C8F-9052-FCFCCC65F8B6.jpeg This what I’m using for hot showers . 12volt water pump and a filter , endless showers. Especially if you drop a hose in a river or creak .

5. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I have the same camper as you do, only mine is under the Viking name. Also a word of warning about that winch. I have the same winch mounted on my Quad. It came with a Remote control to operate it. The problem is that there is a delay in the motor after you release the button. That could be disastrous with the cables on the Goshan lift system. If yours is that way, you can do as I did. I converted mine to a manual switch that is instantaneous off and on. I can still use the Remote, but never do.

6. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

Good s
    Solution .
    Fortunately mine is spot on . Boy I tell ya . That winch is a game changer . Hand cranking that top up was miserable. It was my first mod and if it hadn’t worked , I would have sold the camper.

7. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

Poser shot . Taking on it’s maiden voyage 6D71E649-1234-4B63-B65A-3FF45270837C.jpeg

8. mk4

mk4 Member

What size tire did you go from and upgrade to? Did you replace your stabilizers? How about the tongue jack? Did you have to modify the rear tire mount to clear the bunk end?

With an axle under and larger tires (I'm planning to go from 10" to 13") I'm looking at an 8" difference. And I also want to install a two step ladder to replace the one step. The bottom of my pup is currently at 18" and would be 26" after the mods.

9. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

I went from the factory 12” tire to a 205x75x15 trailer tire . Cheap and easy . Swapped the hub to a 5 bolt . Which I found both at Tractor Supply . Had to make sure I used the hub with the same size bearing 2000lb Axle.
    The stabiles and jack do not touch the ground . So I’m using the 2 sets of orange leveling blocks Under the stabilizers . And going to weld in a new jack up front .
    The tire barely and mean fractions of an inch cleared the steps . So had to remove that and temporarily using a 2 step ladder for now .
    I had used a 13” or 14” tire . I wouldn’t have the clearance problem

10. ObeyTheNoodle

ObeyTheNoodle New Member

When I did my axle flip, I went through many of the same mods/changes that 2 Spoke did (with a few exceptions)...

-Went from 12" tires to 205/75/14. My hubs were always 5 bolt (5-4.5) so didn't have to switch there. While I considered 15" wheels, I was afraid of them rubbing and I knew that the 14" size would fit perfect.
    -I still need to get longer stabs but for now I use modded blocks from this thread: https://www.popupportal.com/threads/mod-to-help-stabilizing-your-higher-off-road-pup.94475/
    -Tongue jack stays the same but I sometimes have to use one of those modded blocks so I'm not cranking it all the way out.
    -I don't need to mod the spare tire mount to fit the 14" tire. The read bunk can get pulled out without interfering with the spare. I think if I went to a 15" tire, I might've had problems.
    -I also only have one step and with the axle flip, it's a bit of a reach to get to it. I bought a small portable step that is about 10" off the ground. I use that but am planning to replace my one step with two next year.

Pic of my 176LTD Mac:
    [​IMG]

11. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

With my camper . I had to remove the steps . I may go higher . But to answer your question. 13”-14” wheel would clear this particular trailer . If your doing a ladder ? Stick with an RV type 2or3 step. I bought a Werner 2 step ladderJust for now . And coming down it was sketch at best .

12. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

I agree totally . 14” tire would fit perfectly. My jack has very limited travel . So new one that doesn’t slip is in order. 6x6 wood blocks under the stabilizers is my ticket

13. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

image.jpg

14. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

image.jpg

15. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

Here’s my janky jack . New one is def in order

Attached Files:

16. 2 spoke

2 spoke New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

17. mk4

mk4 Member

That's a lot of work. You would have to fab up upper and lower shock mounts, and then find a suitable shock.

I'd actually like to fab up some timbren like axles using a coilover from a razor.

2 spoke likes this.