Started install of water pump today in Jayco 12udk

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by tcanthonyii, Jun 9, 2015.

1. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Been toying around with this idea for 2 years. Finally decided to do it and was almost forced to do to a broken hand pump, which was worthless anyway. 2 replacements later and still no bueno. So last week I order a cheap seaflo pump from Ebay. 1.2 gpm, enough for me. I ordered the switch as well, which I've now lost....

Been poking around at faucets for 2 weeks and finally bought a bar/laundry sink faucet tonight and a bunch of extra hardware. The center spout is up fairly high and it easily removable for transport. I bought 12 feet of high pressure hose and got to work at 9PM tonight. Used a spade bit to drill my two holes:
    [​IMG]

Tightened it down and installed the connectors. Cold for on board, and hot for city water. I figured humans are programmed to grab the cold water first. I had to chip out a little wood to make the sink nuts work properly.
    [​IMG]

Soft installed the pump (it's not bolted down yet) and installed the hoses.

[​IMG]

and rigged up a power wire to the battery. Pumped right up and we had water!![​IMG]

Initially I was going to only hard wire it to the battery but then remembered the main switch would kill all power and thus solve my fear of accidentally bumping the switch.... I really don't want to run a power wire all the way back there. I'll have to see what I'm going to do. I've been wanting to add usb/12v power port back in that area anyway, maybe this is the time to do it. GRRR. At least I ahve working water, I may actually use my water for the first time. It's always just been so slow it was pointless. This sink is nice as it's got a hose end on it so should I ever upgrade the pump I can run a hose to it and wash hair or feet. Anyway thought I'd share my progress so far. I'll update this as I finish wiring, find my switch and bolt the pump down.

2. Popup1206

Popup1206 If there is a will there is a way

Nice job!

3. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I think you will really enjoy having water onboard that functions properly. And the height of the neck of the faucet is far more useful than the ones typically used on most PUPs. They are the short neck faucets that you can hardly get a pot under for washing.

Good work and let us see what it looks like all cleaned up afterwards.

4. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

It's like almost 100 here today... Not much motivation to go work in the camper. Suppose I could fire up the AC.... but I want the converter shut down. I'll just wait until it's almost dark and take a fan out there.

5. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Finished up tonight. I did end up wiring straight to the battery. Getting to the converter seemed like a royal pain the butt. So I had a seethed black and white wire that I ran down the frame and used the existing water tank train hole to get access to the inside. Screwed the pump to the floor, tightened all connections. Mounted the switch to the right side of the flip over sink/counter top and ran wires re-using the old water hose cover as a protector. Also wired in a USB/Power port dongle with 4 feet of cable so I can charge phones next to the bed. I had been using this before but running it down to the battery every time after setup. Now its in there permanently. Also wired in a mini fuse and threw a 10 amp fuse in it. Everything works perfect. Now before leaving if I'm really worried I can pop the 10 amp fuse out and no water will pump. I still have a little wire clean up but it's not bad. I think it turned out pretty good and very cheap. Pump, 25 bucks, switch 12 (why is that stupid thing so expensive), faucet 32, hose, 10, misc 10 bucks so 89 bucks. New hand pump was 60. This should last a good long time. The pump works great. It's only a 1.4 gpm pump so there's not a lot of stream but that's fine for us. Helps save some water usage.

Switch
    [​IMG]

Wide angle of switch. Looks like it's supposed to be there.
    [​IMG]

In storage bunk. Wiring could be cleaned up a little but it's not bad.
    [​IMG]

Thoughts or changes? Total project really takes 2-3 hours after maybe 40 of research and parts finding.

OH and the best part, if I remove the cushion from the bench the faucet just barely fits folded down so no need to pull the neck off and make a mess. I think if I turn the neck just right I can even keep the cushion on the bench. Will test tomorrow.

I have major clean up to do in there now. Must take the vacuum out tomorrow and clean up the mess.

6. GoRetro

GoRetro New Member

Looks great I just finished doing the same thing in our PUP , even used the same switch as you did :) . Our cabinets do not fold down so I found a short faucet and had to go inside and have the DW close the top down and it has about 1/2 in clearance [:D] so go lucky. Got it all hooked up and tested works great .

Attached Files:

7. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Thought I would circle back since we've used it a couple times now. We LOVE it. Yea there isn't a ton of flow but with only an 11 gal tank I don't think it's needed. I've washed my hair in it a few times and was fantastic for that as well.

Wife told me today how much she likes it and that it looks like it was made to be there. Score for me!

8. Popup Jeff

Popup Jeff New Member

Nice install. I have the same job to do on my pup, your experience here is a big help. Thanks for sharing. I have a question about the switch that you used here and I can't tell from the pictures if that switch has a built in light to indicate it's on? I'm planning on using a "on demand pump" and would like to see at a glance if pump is energized. Thanks again..... Jeff

9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Your sink size and faucet type looks a lot like what's in our Palomino stock. I'm always baffled when people say they want to remove their sinks, but then I see pics of how small some sinks are, and the hand-pump type faucet just isn't very useful. With actual running water the sink is one of our favorite upgrades over tent camping.

Nice work!

10. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Switch is not lighted. You certainly could et one but mine is not. Did not want an added power drain. My pump is on demand as well.

11. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Thank you for the inspiration. I installed my pump yesterday. Only difference is I mounted the pump to the wall so I had a bit more storage space on the floor. I am also wiring it directly to the battery like you did. Thanks for the pics too.

12. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

This is great. Once we get the PUP out of storage in a couple of weeks, this is the mod we need to do! Wondering if we should get a pump with a bit more power.

13. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

With such a small tank I've not yet found a need for a faster/higher volume pump. If I was running a shower or something I could see the need the but I'm not. I've washed my hair in the sink a few times and it works fantastic. Fills a glass of water dandy as well as a pot of water. If loudness is a problem than a more expensive pump is in order. I didn't care about that. I grew up hearing a water pump in a camper so I was never worried about quietness.

I'm glad this has helped a few of you. It's such an easy inexpensive project that can get over complicated in a hurry. I'm still around and am willing to help anyone should they run into a problem.

14. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Hopefully you guys used in-line fuses as no appliance needs to be wired directly to the battery without appropriately sized fuse protection, for the sake of the appliance or the battery. Even low-end add-on car stereos come with inline fuse protection included.

15. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

I certainly did. Mentioned it in my post as well.

16. webhannet

webhannet Member

One benefit of a loud pump is you'll soon know if you have a slow leak - the pump noise will tell you. I find the pump noise comforting - those pumps are so reliable. If you have kids, the slower pump will mean less water loss when they aren't as careful with the faucet. Also, having two water handles, you'll only be drawing hot water when you intend to - unlike with the single lever mixing control you probably have at home.

there are screw-on inline filters that mount on the pump - about $8 - and worthwhile.

In larger RVs, the switch often used is spring loaded on - then push it again for off - while it's on, the light stays on. This means the water is always ready to run when needed - helpful if you have an outside shower -which may be your next project!

17. fyrftr422

fyrftr422 New Member

Thanks for making this thread. Very informative and a project I will be doing before we start our late summer and fall camping schedule. I have the added 'benefit' of being able to access the converter from the rear as the previous owner remounted the spare tire which literally tore the aluminum facia off the trailer last year on our way to Algonquin (a few screws was a nice quick fix). That is a spring fix this year and gives me full access to the wiring (we don't have a battery, so far just used hydro sites) so the pump can get wired directly to the trailer.

18. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

No problem. I found lots of posts but nothing really "good". I wanted to show how simple it was and inexpensive. No need to purchase a 100+ dollar pump. Sure a whisper quiet is nice but we aren't talking about taking a shower with this either. Just filling a jug or a sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. creynoldsmiz

creynoldsmiz Member

how would one go about doing this mod if they didn't have a battery on their camper. I would like to wire it into my converter, but not exactly sure about how to do so...

20. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

You'd just need to find an output and tap into it or better yet an empty circuit on it. You'll need a wiring diagram for sure. You'd be best off starting. A new topic with your converter model and camper model.