Starting an argument...

Discussion in 'Smart Phone Apps' started by Greywuff, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

or just keeping one going. DW says a laptop IS NOT an important item that must NEVER, EVER be left behind when camping. I totally disagree with her, I think its almost as important on a camping trip as the camper itself. How do you folks vote?
    I posted this same thread on another forum, and so far there is not one person that agrees with DW...even though there is only 2 so far that agree with me...lol.

2. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

I have to agree with your DW. Of course, that might be because I don't own a laptop, but even if I did, I just don't think I would see it as an essential item. I can understand some uses for one and why others would agree with you, I'm just not one of them. I won't get into the subject of leaving behind the electronic world when we camp, because I can see where thats not desirable for some, but for us, we prefer a good book and conversation by the fire.

Just my [2C]

3. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

We don't take our laptop camping. We are avid laptop users at home, but just don't feel the need camping. I also don't want worry about dropping it outside, keeping it dry, keeping it the right temperature, keeping it safe---more worry and trouble than enjoyment for us.

4. bobjones1

bobjones1 New Member

Depends on why u are taking it- if taking it to post pics of your camping on PopUp portal then YES- taking it to do job stuff- NO

U seen that movie where Robin Williams rents an RV and sneeks aroung doing work stuff?!!! [LOL]

We take electronics with us-- sometimes we search web to find local attractions etc..

I have a high school friend who I keep contact with on Facebook and she lives near Tahoe- she was tent camping at Lake Tahoe and posted on Facebook how a group in campground had a projector and screen outside and was watching movies- she was complaining why do they even camp......
    a few hrs later she posted a pic of her joining them and having fun watching a movie under the stars-- she has since camped with her new found friends several times

5. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

I agree with your DW and I have worked in the IT field for 26 years as a programmer. The part of camping is to get away from all the electronics and such. Bad enough that we take a TV/DVD Player (but we only use these in the evening or if raining). I have brought my laptop twice and this was because I needed it to dial into my work the weekends we were going to be out of town. I had to get up and go to McDonald's that had Wi-Fi. I was on it for 20 minutes both times and that was it while camping. I can check my emails using my cell and do this once in awhile when camping. Leave the laptop at home is my vote... [2C]

6. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We do, DW needs it for work emails and such and I have my map program so I don't get LOST [LOL]

7. redfragglerocker

redfragglerocker Jen & Mike, Andrew (8) and Justin (5)

Helpful but not essential. I usually travel with my small work laptop, just in case I need it.

8. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I dont think I'll leave my blackberry home. Surf the web, take pics, post to the portal, work,
    family, ect, on the bb smartphone. I take it hunting, why not take it camping.

9. DeadElvis

DeadElvis New Member

Bring along the laptop. I wouldn't go anywhere without it. I'm a software designer and my profession is also my hobby. Camping is my other hobby. The chance to do both at the same time is a joy for me. Wife likes to browse the internet. Internet radio. Source of showing movies when it's raining. My vote goes to the "necessary equipment" camp.

10. br9

br9 Member

No laptop. Don't evan like to take cellphone. It stays in glovebox for emergancys.

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We normally do not bring one either, but after the amount of photos we took in Yellowstone NP we learned it is something that can be used to unload the camera to gain more room for more pictures!

12. magicfish

magicfish New Member

I could live without it, but I take take my laptop with us. I upload my pictures to it daily and like being able to to see them in a good size. I also have lots of maps on it to make plans where to go, and I can upload my GPS tracks of off trail trips and kayak trips. I have taken a few DVDs with us, but in spite of having really bad weather, we have never used it to watch them.

13. kelbell1

kelbell1 New Member

We ALWAYS have our laptop with us! Its perfect to watch movies on if its raining, to upload pictures, and search for local amusements!

14. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

I agree with those who say it depends on the reason. If it is for some must have reason like a job you can never escape from or you use it to watch a DVD to help the kids unwind at night, or even so you can keep track of the weather then I would say it is "essential", but if it is simply because you want to surf the net or play computer games then no.

We have a laptop but where we camp it is useless to try to connect to the net on. There is no park wi-fi and our cell phones are hit and miss in the CG.

15. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I don't own a laptop and wouldn't take it with me if I did.

I'm a photographer but don't find the screens on laptops very good for photo editing so I do that at home on my big computer. As for downloading camera cards in the field, I have a Wolverine hand-held hard drive for that.

Further, I doubt I'd ever be able to get on the 'net anyway. There are no Wi-Fi "hot spots" in the places I usually go -- and no cell phone coverage either. So, Greywuff, I have to disagree with your premise. A laptop is not only uncritical to me, it would just be a few unnecessary pounds of weight to haul around.

16. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

You know what---I was so adamant of NO, but I just realized that I check my home e-mail (NOT work) and Facebook via my cell phone....and google when needed (some fun argument comes up around the campfire)... so is that the same???

17. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

We do enough computer stuff at home and when we're camping no computer. Just cell and DVD player.

18. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

I am trying to figure out where all these CG are that have Wi-Fi? Again I guess it is just me but all the SP/Forestry CG here in GA that we have visited do not have internet access. Are those of you that take your laptops staying at private RV parks or such??

Also I guess if we were traveling far off like out west purhaps we would take the laptop (I have taken it when we have gone on cruises) to off load photos. But just here around GA/AL/FL/TN/NC/SC parks I see no need at this time. I look up things before leaving the house as far as addresses and such. Have GPS in the TV and just use it for directions to places we go.

Again just my [2C]

19. TwoHappyCampers

TwoHappyCampers New Member

We don't take ours and we are a two laptop family. I think it is good to get away from all the electronics sometimes. The cell phones are off and used for emergency purposes only. We purchased additional cards for our camera, so we don't have to upload photos. Of course I don't have kids to entertain, so that may make a difference!

20. sk91709

sk91709 Chino Hills, CA

I'm an IT guy, not a Luddite by any stretch.

But I firmly disagree w/ the 'always-on' lifestyle. Camping is an escape from all that.

We bring no TV/DVD, no laptop. Of course we have cell phones, but don't routinely use them for anything but calls when we have service at CGs.

We camp to show the kids that there is value in nature and that they can entertain themselves without electronics. By the time they're done riding bikes, climbing stuff, playing in the water, fishing, and staying up late around a campfire, they crash out so fast, a DVD would be pointless anyway.