Starting an argument...

Discussion in 'Smart Phone Apps' started by Greywuff, Apr 9, 2010.

1. krh1130

krh1130 New Member

When I go on vacation I don't want anyone to be able to get in touch with me......it's our escape from the rest of the world!!! [SUN] Our cell phones are OFF. My family have the campground emergency # if there is an emergency. [CP]

2. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

We camp at Coleman's Lake Rec Area over near Heflin, AL and they have absolutely no cell phone service....Verizon, AT & T or Sprint...none of these work

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Micbur said:
    That's right. Look at this Verizon map:

Coverage Area

See all the white (no coverage) areas in WA and OR? Those are the places I usually camp. When I can take longer trips I'm camping in the white areas in the other western states.

4. Westwood

Westwood New Member

If we're traveling cross county and will be gone a couple of weeks, we take the laptop. Weekend camping, never! [;)]

5. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

I don't take mine when we camp local for the weekend or for the three trips, but when we take our Seniors on their summer trip this year I will take it so I can up load photos and journal entries so their folks can stay posted. [CP]

6. Vernon

Vernon New Member

We haven't taken it on a trip yet. I'm sure one of the kids will want to bring one on our
    two week trip this summer. We will have to wait and see!!

7. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

A lot of the private CG's have Wi-Fi.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Depends on the trip. Weekends, almost never. I took it a couple of years ago, when DH went to a conference in Europe & I went camping. I had to find Wi-Fi places, but it allowed us to keep in some contact, and the friend with me also emailed her teen daughter. I'll probably do the same this year, as we repeat the trips.
    On cross-country trips, we do use it, again to keep in touch with family & friends, and do the occasional research. We sometimes have Wi-Fi at KOAs; otherwise we take advantage of it at lunch places.

It is always our choice of when & how we use it.

9. Twisty

Twisty New Member

It is not NEEDED for any reason.
    It is wanted but not necessary.
    There is no arguement.
    No discussion.
    I am right. [;)] [LOL]

10. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

I have to agree with the your wife don't need the computer :)

11. top magoo

top magoo New Member

i've been in IT for over 20 years, i yearn to get away from keyboards and the cyberworld. we use our phones to get where we're going (gps-enabled phones), but they stay in the TV while we're there.... we check for emergency calls from time to time, but i'm not answering a "hey, howya' doing call"...

if i wanted to talk to you while i was camping, i'd have invited you to come...

12. redjacket

redjacket In memory of Nick Dilal, Sr. 1931-2005

I take mine. It has lots of uses, but mainly to keep the grandbabies happy on rainy days!

13. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Only on long trips and only to pay bills while we are away online.

14. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Just got broadband this year and took the laptop on our first camping trip this season. Good thing I had it with me, could not get the furnace to run in our NTU Jayco. Logged onto the portal and within minutes I had the info needed for DH to fire up the furnance. Yes, I will be bringing it along each trip. Just because I have it with me, doen's mean I have to spend all day on it. I don't bring it for the kids, I bring it for me.

15. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Just say NO to campground electronics.
    MR

16. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

I SAY NO TO ANY ELECTRONICS WHILE CAMPING UNLESS I am camping alone, then i have a ipod for movies, music and more. I have a trac phone that I almost never use. But I am a bookworm [RTM]who really likes a campfire, freinds, food and drink and the stars...... [CP]

17. cksteele

cksteele now where did i put that hot dog

I say just bring what makes you happy. Besides the lap top can play movies for you or the kids in the event that it does that 4 letter thing.

18. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

Im an IT guy, I have a couple of laptops and none of them go with when camping. On any other vacation, yeah I take one, but camping, no way. I dont have a TV in the camper either, just a radio/sirius unit and my ipod. I camp to get away from TV, the internet, etc. and spend quality time with my family. Other people have their own ways of camping, and thats fine by me, but no laptop/TV is how I roll.

19. grasshopper

grasshopper New Member

I leave mine at home. I look at camping as a way to get away from all the technology. Do not get me wrong, I like my technology and use it everyday, but as I get older, it seems like we are being consumed by these gadgets and I see that a lot of people have forgot to have fun w/o all this stuff or even know what to do w/o it.

20. Tebpac

Tebpac Member

Don't own one yet....but I do take my iPhone with us. The only thing is I only get service where we camp. Most other places we travel to don't have good service. Use it for checking weather and water levels when we are canoeing....