Starting an argument...

Discussion in 'Smart Phone Apps' started by Greywuff, Apr 9, 2010.

1. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

That is fine and well but again we think that the camping experience is lost at a majority of the private camp grounds. Sitea are just way too close to each other and not worth being elbow to elbow just to have wi-fi. Definately do not stay at KOA's

2. Buddy Ter

Buddy Ter New Member

I'm another IT guy, and I vote for leaving it home. But that's just me. You have to ask yourself, "Why is this gizmo worth the space it takes up?" Will there be anything in your e-mail that can't wait to be read? Is it really worthwhile for getting weather/traffic/PUP Forum updates? What will you miss on your camping trip if you're sitting inside browsing the web?

3. dcaptd

dcaptd Member

The reason I bought one was for the camper. One laptop with add-ons lets you carry one bag and have GPS,Weather, Phonebook,TV,DVD,Music,Communication,look for parts stores(no I've never broken down- yah rite),Banking. All in a small package you don't have to use but if somthing goes wrong on the trip or in the outside world it's so much nicer.

4. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

I say do what you enjoy. If you would enjoy setting in your popup using your laptop looking at nature, then bring it. If you don't enjoy that and want to get away from that type of stuff, then leave it at home. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to get out an go camping when what you are doing really would not bother anyone.

5. vnconn

vnconn New Member

I bought myself a nifty backpack that carries my DLSR camera and my 17" laptop for the very purpose of taking my laptop camping. There are times that I don't even turn it on but I like to have it just in case. Mostly I use it for uploading photos and for checking the weather, living in the midwest I always like to be able to see the radar. My cell phone operates as a modem for my laptop and we have good cell service in the parks we normally camp at. I'm not so much concerned with email (those go to my phone) and I definitely don't check work email, that stuff can wait. The laptop is great for movies when its raining like so many others have mentioned. Sometimes we use the it to search online for camper stuff, parts, etc.

I have to say I am a self professed technology addict. I never leave home without some sort of internet access whether it be my cell phone or laptop!

6. CCRJ

CCRJ New Member

Unfortunately I have to bring my laptop with as I'm usually working or on call when we are out camping. We did actually use it at the campground this past Saturday to plan our next campground destination based on a recommendation from our camp neighbors.

7. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

I think Allan summed it up exactly the way I would. Personally, I camp to get away from all that stuff.

8. edmonton_camper

edmonton_camper Loving it.

I take mine but only to find out where the nearest geocaches are. Yes... I do that.
    I will look online where there are geocaches near where we are traveling to and make a note of that.
    Although.. my iPhone kinda eliminates that now I still like to have my laptop with me.
    It helps us find nearby attractions... phone numbers... and various other stuff.
    It weighs about 2 pounds and doesn't take a lot of space so, why not bring it?

My laptop is my radio.. map... tour guide... phone... dvd player... cd player... and much more... but most times I never use it. It is nice to have when I want it though!

9. outdoorxman

outdoorxman The mountains are calling me and I must go.

I'm an IT guy too! Coming from a small shope there is always a potential for contact with me. Unfortunately the nature of the beast. I've had a past job where the president called me and wanted something fixed right then. So I pulled over at the next Walmart, connected through WiFi card and fixed it. Needless to say DW was NOT happy. Luckily I don't work for them anymore.

I like to leave it all behind but, well you know now! We keep it put away as much as possible.

Phil

10. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

we wont leave home without at least one laptop and most of the time we take them both. When we camp they come along and have proven very helpful, and entertaining when the weather turns bad. We both have aircards and have yet to find a spot we cant hook up.
    I am virtually on call 24/7 and the laptop allows me a lot of freedom while camping or fishing that I would not be able to enjoy with out it. With the laptop when a problem arises I can usually handle in just a few minutes, without I would have to spend more time on the phone.
    Plus I can keep up with whats going on at the pop up portal.

11. sd102

sd102 New Member

I don't own a laptop, never really felt the need for one. But even if I did, I say NO computers while camping.

12. bflentje

bflentje Member

I take my laptop on trips because I use it to manage my geocaching efforts. I do not use it for any other reason (that I am willing to admit). I could, however, live without it if needed.

13. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

Well, I went camping for the entire weekend tat just passed, and yes, I carried my laptop along. But...for the first time, I did not take it out of the case or turn it on. I think that is the longest stretch it has gone unused since it was new.
    Lots of good arguments on either side of the coin, so I guess it's ok to say that some of us say take it, others say leave it home.

14. steelhead51

steelhead51 New Member

Were out there camping allready , love our laptop! Google earth gives us info on places to camp, weather, sites to see , just about anything you need.We use alltell air card internet anywere! Also great DVD player 17 in. screen. Haven been bored yet gone 3 weeks. going home for two days then leaving again. Spending this winter coming up, in Georgia, Alabama, and maybe even eastern Texas this fulltime camping is great. 2000 Flagstaff 17LTD , 2005 Ford freestar TV DW ,Myself and Walter [Dog] sure beats mowing grass at home !

15. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

Couple of years ago, a storm came through and trashed our campground. We knew nothing of it until it happened. We always take a LT with us now to check on weather..

16. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

I just downloaded a Camping App for my iPhone.... [:D]

17. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Guess I sorta pick most of the spots we go and usually have the boat or cart. Don't think there would be time enough for a laptop for me, but I'm sure other folks find them usefull. Usually take along a magazine or two and the hardly ever get pulled out... Different strokes for all..

18. Red Rebels

Red Rebels New Member

Evan do like to take cellphone, Tarzan... [:D]

19. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Never... ever.... ever !!! Won't take a cell phone - won't take a lap top - won't take a radio or stereo. It's just us answering the call of nature. Wait - let me rephrase that. It's just us - the trees and the animals. [LOL]

20. Dan G

Dan G New Member

I take one and find it a necessity but then I use it to control my telescope mount and take images.

Dan