Starting an argument...

Discussion in 'Smart Phone Apps' started by Greywuff, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ArcticCat

ArcticCat Camping is Living!

YES YES YES

My reasons, I'm a full time student, I even take summer classes. So I have to write papers on the weekend...

I also would use it as a back up DVD player for the kid (2 1/2yo) if it was raining or near bedtime for her to watch her Disney movies.

My laptops (yes, I own two) also have GPS mapping...

Lastly, I can tether them to my phone and surf the web, if I'm new to an area, I can look up local intrests...

Ken

2. us and 3 kids

us and 3 kids New Member

I'm definitely going with the Dw on this one. I would never bring my laptop. That's just the kind of crap your paying money to get away from. Wouldn't even bring the portable DVD player if it wasn't for having small children who like to watch a movie at night. I leave my cell phone in the van and don't look at it until it's time to leave. All these campgrounds with free wi-fi.......nothing is that important.. NO LAPTOPS WHILE CAMPING!

3. jswalls110

jswalls110 Guest

Sorry, but some of us are on call 24/7/365. As the only IT guy for the company, I must have the laptop and cell, even when I go away for a week on vacation. I have sat on the beach and had to take support calls.

My job and the company I work for depend on me being within a short period of time away from a phone and laptop. Extended downtime is not an option.

No laptop at campgrounds? Some of us aren't that lucky. Now, do I look at it? Chances are, no, it sits in my bag. My cell is on the counter of the pup.

But in this day and age, it's do what is needed, or someone else will.

4. us and 3 kids

us and 3 kids New Member

Ok. Well apparently I am not that important to anyone, at least not as important as you are. "In this day and age" people are dropping dead 30 or 40 years before their time, maybe we shouldn't be so overworked and amped up our whole lives. Maybe we should kick back and really relax once in a blue moon to recharge our own batteries.............idk maybe

5. jswalls110

jswalls110 Guest

I'd love too.

As soon as I get 2 kids out of college, and get out of IT and into something more important, like a hot dog stand on the beach in the Caribbean.

I wasn't being a smart guy, just telling the other side. Sometimes you do things because you have to, not because you want to.

No offence was meant, and I hope none was taken.

6. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

essential? - NO
    usefull if you are planning trips or site seeing in the area? - YES, but I rather get lost and find my way around, that way I get to see places and things never seen before like Antique stores, roadhouses, small parks, etc.

Will I take ours? - NO

7. Darslife

Darslife New Member

I am also on call 24/7, I manage office bldgs and shopping centers, sometimes I am the only one that can auothorize work or know what happened when. Always have my blackberry and laptop....most of the time neither are used, but there is always that chance!! If I am going somewhere I know the service is poor or no wifi, I give maintenance an emergency number.

Yes, someday, I dream that I won't be on call.

8. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

I have a netbook that I do take with me. I use it to control my telescope (when I take it). Other than that we leave them at home.

9. mattyj

mattyj Member

We bring a laptop...it's like a popup TV for the camper. Great for a movie on a rainy afternoon. Googling local attractions is another bonus. I'm even working on a mod to hang laptop above bunk so DW and I can relax and enjoy a movie at night.

10. NHDalton

NHDalton I camp, therefore I am

I take mine for a few reasons. First, if the campground has wi-fi access, I want to see how the storm cells are moving if a storm is heading our way. It's a geek thing. Second, it allows us to watch a movie when it rains outside. After that, I will do work from time-to-time, upload pics from my digital camera to clear out the card and DW likes to play Mahjong.

11. aimblkjak21

aimblkjak21 New Member

I have a 2 year old and if it rains we have to have movies or there will be a meltdown every 5 seconds. I camp to relax and if that means I have to plug my kid in when it rains so be it. I also have my blackberry as I run my own business and if clients need me I have to answer.

12. Brewbum

Brewbum New Member

If you enjoy being connected why is that wrong? I have never figured out these debates on here about technology to take or not and some how you are less of a camper because you take technology items. I take things I like. I like surfing the web and watching movies and uploading pictures, etc. so the laptop will come with me. I won't be plugged in the entire time but if the weather gets bad or I want to find something I will use my phone or laptop to do it, I think that is an awesome thing we can do now. Admittedly I am a little geeky so I know it isn't for everyone.

To each their own I always say, may not be my thing but who am I to judge what they should do.

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I don't think it is a matter of "judging" or telling someone there is a right or wrong way. I think these discussions stem from the different reasons people have for going camping. For example, I go to do things I can't do at home. I can surf the 'net and watch movies at home but I can't hike a trail through a redwood grove or see a beautiful waterfall at home. So for me, it's a matter of not "wasting my camping time" doing something in the woods that I do all the time at home and in so doing, missing out on the unique things the woods/wilderness offers.

I agree with you on each to his or her own. But beyond that, don't forget that the OP asked for these opinions -- although I think the general trend here is opposite of what he expected.

14. opnorty

opnorty New Member

OK, I know this has all been said before, but who really cares what your neighbor is doing while camping - as long as it doesn't impede on your ability to do what you want while camping. Whether they are listening to a radio, watching a TV, - or way worse - drinking alcohol. Yes, there are plenty of people out there that are inconsiderate of their neighbors. I really think these idiots would be inconsiderate regardless of if they had electronics, alcohol, etc.

Out of all the experiences with neighbors while camping, the worst has been with an older couple in a huge 5th wheel. Our kids are little, and they did not want them even remotely close to (what they referred to as) their space. Last time I checked, they were just renting the space from the public conservation board, but that is another topic. Our kids were not bad at all. The older couple was parked with their backs to a park, over a long weekend. Sorry, but parks attract kids. My point is that people can be complete jerks, regardless of the other things they enjoy doing while camping. Now, don't take this the wrong way - I like older people. This couple was definitely an exception to the rule.

For the record, we bring 1 or even 2 computers with us. We have a digital projector we hook up and play movies on a sheet hanging off the back of our PUP at night for the kids. We found this to be a great way for them to wind down after a busy day of being kids in the outdoors. During the day, our family really likes to bike around the campgrounds, maybe go on a little hike, and hopefully do a little geocaching. The daytime activities are really irrelevant, it is more about spending time as a family.

Sorry about the long rant-

opnorty

15. magicfish

magicfish New Member

That's a great way to describe it. [:D]

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Gee, nothing like a personal value judgment!

17. Mongo71

Mongo71 Longwood FL

Well, to each their own I guess. [SNZ] While I have been guilty of bringing these "electrical dog collars" ie: Cell phones, TV's, computers etc. along in the past. The more I am forced to use them on a daily basis, the more I seem reluctant to use them on my "peaceful time". In fact, the last time my buddies brought a laptop along it cost me ten bucks on a bet I lost on a card game about suit ranking in a Poker tie. So now that I think about it...THEY ARE EVIL... [}:)] EVIL I TELLS YA! [:D]

18. sue548l

sue548l New Member

I bring my laptop for several reasons. One I like to keep a journal of our trip. I can download pictures and make comments while the day is fresh in my head. The second reason is I don't sleep much so having my laptop gives me something to do when insomnia hits. And once in a while I have work to do on it. I've camped with people who need to spent time each day working. I say better to come camping with your laptop and enjoy the outdoors then to sit at home working all alone.

19. Stardust_8

Stardust_8 New Member

I'm with the DW. The laptop is NOT needed when camping. If you're that addicted to the internet, seek help.

20. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

I'd say whatever floats your boat. As long as you are happy, who cares. It would be a pretty boring world if we all did the same thing.