Starting an argument...

Discussion in 'Smart Phone Apps' started by Greywuff, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

..Thankfully, most of my camping is in the mountains where cel-phone reception is zero (I dread the day when the wheeler-dealer, hot shot profiteers overcome that obstacle).
    Even when I happen to be in the grocery store, or Wal-Mart, I detest having to over-hear some loud mouthed, bombastic, so and so, carry on a one-sided conversation on how wonderful he's doing and how he's just visited his Aunt Agatha who is one her death bed, ect.,ect., as he waddles aimlessly up and down the aisles .... now, I call this noise pollution!

I even had words with a fella that's young enough for me to be his father - he invites me to the local Waffle House for "a catch up breakfast" and all he does is talk on his cel-phone! So I tell him, if your going to invite me to breakfast that's fine ... only leave the damn phone in your car! Say's he has too many important calls coming in for that (they sure did'nt sound that important to me!) ... so now we have a rift between us as I tell him how rude it is for him to have me set there and listen to all his meaningless (at least to me anyway) conversation with who knows who ... I tell him he therefore needs to attend to his telephone conversations and I have more important things to do.

Ah, yes ... progress.

2. bobjones1

bobjones1 New Member

I'm in the process of designing and installing a hinged, flip down 42" lcd, complete with surround sound and blue ray player in my buddies pup. probally worth more than the pup- lol, just installed 2 1x4's across ceiling to hang it from and currently working on adding hinges to the tv mount. off course surround sound and blue ray will be mounted in the cabinet ( where the fake fridge used to be).

3. dschlosser

dschlosser Active Member

But will it be able to connect with a lap top? [:D]

4. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

I work with, and on, computers all day at work so I haven't taken one along. The camera has a 2GB memory card and I like waiting until I get home to see the pics.
    Last weekend I was happy to see my phone had no reception so it just stayed in the truck! I like the peace and quiet but I can work with it either way. We sat in the pup and played Yahtzee and then went to sleep.
    Sometimes it's nice to be unplugged from the grid, but it might also be cool to show people what they are missing while you are out there!

5. RayT38

RayT38 It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission

The truly wonderful thing on all modern technology is the button marked PWR or the little symbol, there when you need it/want it and off when you don't. I have been tempted to chuck DGF's cell out the window, but also welcome it when needed. My cell is turned off most times. My laptop, almost never. I detest 24/7 access to me and my personal time. However, I am not anti-tech (former cell site tech) as for tv's and the like when camping...to each his own.

6. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

When people ask me why I didn't answer the phone I tell them it's for my convenience, not theirs.
    Like some other people have said, it's nice to have the option.

7. ShackDiva

ShackDiva New Member

Yes I do. I am self employed and I get between 100-150 emails a day. It is easier to spend a half an hour a day blowing through those than dealing with 300-500 after a 3 day trip!

I also use it for evernote where we store all of our recipes and camper "wants, must haves, it's broke gotta get it" lists.

8. jdy2

jdy2 Member

We brought a laptop on our last trip so the kids could stay caught up on their schoolwork (online classes) ... got got wi-fi and cell service so rarely that we could have left it at home. Were we going for a weekend no way would it come with us ... I love "unplugging".

The kids brought their Nooks, which was fine, but I made the sit outside to read them (weather permitting).

9. mainahman

mainahman All the worlds indeed a stage

We bring a Laptop to keep the resident Teenager happy. We rarely get on the net, but its to play movies at night time or if its raining. Ill check in here or the Facebook group with photos throughout the trip on my phone, but that's about it. I work in Technology, i try to avoid it when camping. I take my Ipad, in case of rain, but it stayed stowed safely in the TV last trip. It would have to get pretty bad weather wise for me to lock myself in the trailer and use it. It rained for a bit last trip, so i went fishing and swimming. I figure if i had to be wet, i might as well be wet and have fun! Plus most of the time we have a niece or a nephew on board with us, and they keep DD busy, as well as us and no one even mentions the internet :)

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Laptop? I bring a Cray supercomputer with me! It takes up a fair share of a bunkend, and is hell on the battery, but it can compute the directions to the next gas station in 1.04 X 10^-34 seconds, plus play chess and check the air pressure in my tires all at the same time. The only bad part is, it has dial up internet only at 56K. Weird, huh? Anyway, I figure you're never sure when you'll need to sequence the human genome or something, so you better have the computer power when you need it.

11. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

BlackBerry and Laptop are shackles that bind me to work, so neither make the trip!

Instead I bring a little modified personal flip phone that only does phone calls, and only three people have the number...imagine that! [;)]

12. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

We take our laptop with us camping, but for the most part, I can take care of almost everything on my I-Phone anymore. Computers & Phones, I guess that is just one of the draw backs with work anymore. Even though we are camping, our customers are at their office working and they need answers. The good thing, we can be sitting at a campfire helping our customers.

I agree with OutdoorXman "Earlier Post", we have pulled over at Walmarts, on a gravel bar canoeing to take care of business. The thing you have to keep in mind, our customers make it possible for us to go and enjoy camping. So we will do what ever it takes to give them the service they deserve!

Its always good to have your office under a canopy of trees, with the sound of water in the background! [A]

UNI

13. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I don't think anyone cares too much about how much technology you bring to camping as long as you don't flaunt it. Blare the stereo, talk loudly on the iPhone, or play your Blu-Ray movie too loud!
    Make your tech-stuff "concealed carry"! [{:)] [;)]