State Park Question

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by scubacamper, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Just scroll down a bit. It's not obvious, but I uploaded a capture of where to click.

Attached Files:

2. Orchid

I agree with this. I just think you should have to do an online, or phone call, check-in to let them know you will still be using your reservation, even if not on the first day. Once check-in is made, the site reservations stand regardless of what days you use.

I don't think it would be a good idea to let others use nights you won't be using, as that would be a very slippery slope. Just a check-in should serve to confirm they are yours as reserved.

3. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Nothing wrong with this. You're using the system that is currently in place to benefit yourself. Perhaps others see an empty site that is reserved and think it to be a waste, but you're playing the game within the rules.

I agree. Especially on day one. Anything could happen. Maybe it's raining and you're waiting it out until the next morning. Or you got off work later than expected. Or your family is sick and needs one more night at home to sleep it off. Or you got in an accident on the way there. Automatically getting booted if you're not there on day one of your reservation is not the right way to rewrite the rules.

4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

If you are paying full price for a campsite why should it matter if you are there or not. You don't need an analogy. You are renting that site, you should be able to do what you want.
    What if someone wants privacy and rents three sites but only sets up on one site?

5. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Why do you want the site to sit unused when someone else could be enjoying it?

I see it as common courtesy and maximizing a public resource.

And you can't do whatever you want with the site.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.

6. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

Here is a specific example of the why:

The sites won't be used anyway. I want to go on a popular weekend. I'd love to go down a few days earlier but between work and kids' school we can't. I can wait until the reservation opens for Friday and play the lottery on the (hypothetical) 3 good lakefront sites that are left or I can book on Thursday and pay an extra night to guarantee that I have one. What if I can't be online at noon to even try? Then I don't even have an opportunity. I personally see nothing wrong booking this extra night. If I get online on Wednesday and there are only 2 lakefront sites left for the weekend, I would go ahead and book the 2 extra nights. I have not had to do this yet but wouldn't think twice about doing it. I only get to camp about one weekend a month right now and they are planned almost always at the 6 month window. So if an extra night means I get to have the site I want or settle for an interior site where I have to go to a ramp to launch the kids kayaks instead of letting them come and go as they please then I see nothing wrong doing this. Consider it selfish if you want but I'm still going to enjoy the trip without feeling a bit of guilt.

7. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Your words: Consider it selfish. . . .

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I agree that if you are not going to show up at all why not call and cancel and let someone else enjoy the site. If you are going to show up, then your paid for site should be available to you for the time that you have rented it. You should not lose your site because your plans changed and you didn't or couldn't contact the camp ground. What if you do contact the campground and the person who answered the phone doesn't properly note that you called? You show up the next day and you site is occupied. This all is probably a moot point as I doubt if many people pay for campsite and then don't go at all.

9. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

It is becoming more of a problem here in FL for sure. It took me 2 years to get a specific site I wanted in Bahia Honda SP, talk about frustration. I really feel someone is playing the system for profit, but that is another topic.

There should be two rule changes that I feel would really make a difference:

1. If you cancel your reservation within 30 days you loose 100% of your money.
    2. If you do not show up for day one of your reservation, you loose the reservation.

This would definitely open up the availability of spots more often and also cut down on people double booking or booking extra days that are just wasted.

10. JustRelax

So I agree.... This is probably the most selfish example.

So lets go a bit further - People on here say that 2pm is too early to checkout on Sundays so they rent Sunday night so that they can take time packing up and leave when they want. Probably more acceptable than the previous example but still selfish. What if leaving at 2 puts somebody that is travelling cross country at their next stop at 4am and they don't want to hotel so they book an extra night where they are to leave at 7pm and get to the next destination at 9am instead of waiting in the middle of nowhere at 4am. That sounds like the sensible thing to do. Is it any less selfish?

What if I can't make it down Thursday night but plan to leave early and be down at 9am. Is it more justifiable to rent the Thursday night? What if I'm travelling cross country like above and know I won't be down that night but have no where to go but the campground so I rent Thursday night so that I know I will have a spot at 9am the following day. Again seems like the sensible thing to do.

What if I get delayed Thursday night and won't get there until 10pm. The courteous thing to do would be to wait until the morning so I don't disturb the other campers, but I'm also selfish because somebody else didn't get to potentially use the site that night...

So I don't see how anybody else's justification is less selfish than mine to say that I reserve a site that I can watch my kids while cooking and let them enjoy nature rather than limit the time that they have because I can't watch them from an inferior site.

11. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

. . .I too have pined for Bahia Honda to no avail. But do you know what bothers me the most? When I camp at Sigsbee campground on Key West (nice but just not Bahia Honda) I see open sites on Bahia Honda when I visit the park for snorkeling and kayaking - across the checkin/checkout times. Never many openings, but always. I'll sure overbooking and last minute cancellations would not enhance the situation.
    I sent an Email to Florida State Parks division asking if they had a problem with overbooking and what their official position was, if any. . . . I also offered Florida residents' side too - paying taxes for the state parks and no access for weekends, etc.
    I'll post the results.

The world is a tougher row-to-hoe when no one else matters.

12. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Justrelax

The bottom line is if I can help someone else enjoy a resource that I'm not using I will do what I can to help them. You don't feel you need to. My approach makes me, and others, happy, your approach makes you happy. We each create the world we want to live in.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.

13. Orchid

[:O] [:O] [:O] Just curious, have you ever seen site advertised anywhere?

I honestly never even thought about this. A simple step of requiring ID upon check-in would put a quick stop to this, if it is happening.

14. JustRelax

Sub leasing is not allowed. But what if a group of people book joining sites but put it under one reservation? Only the one who reserved would be on the site and have the valid ID.

15. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

I have not, but heard in the past it was a problem. I have been asked for ID at checking before though.

Working in IT, I have an idea of how someone out there is using programs to ensure they get their selection in first. But if they are not re-selling it I would find it hard to believe someone went through the trouble. But to give you an example of how crazy it is was my attempt to get another Bahia Honda site a couple of weeks ago. Mind you I'm attempting to get a site for Next year, 11 months from now. And knowing when the exact minute/second that the site would be available I sat there at my screen ready to pounce, pushing the purchase button. Nope, gone, in that millisecond of coming available it was taken. Some one either has a quicker finger, a faster internet connection, a program that grabs the site first or someone on the inside at the Reserve America company. Frustrating is an understatement.

Then again, part of the frustration is my own doing since there are only two sites in the park I want so I'm really limiting my options.

Attached Files:

16. Orchid

Of course it's not allowed. I just assumed it was never done.

Why would a group of people all have reservations in one person's name? Even with groups, in my experience, even within my family, everyone rents their own site in their own name.

As far as one person reserving a bunch of campsites at once, I don't even think that should be allowed, at least at FL state parks, where we have a serious over-demand problem. But, as mentioned by the person who mentioned it, we are getting into an entirely different discussion at this point. People can think up a bunch of "what if' scenarios for every solution mentioned. Probably why things are just as they are.

17. Orchid

Yeah, that is awful. I have no chance against anyone as far as internet connections go. We have crappy satellite, as it's all we can get out here, in the woods, where we live.

It does seem like there may be some foul play involved, but can't say for sure. Since you only are interested in two sites, maybe have two laptops set up, one ready to "buy" on each site. But if hackers are getting them, won't do any good anyway.

We have two favorite sites at Fort Clinch as well. Even so, we have list of all the sites we like, so we don't limit our options too much.

18. JustRelax

When I go adult camping one of us usually book 4 adjoining sites and catch up the cash at the campground. I don't do this with family but I know the friends we go with are good for it. It makes it easy so there is no confusion on which site each person books. Usually this trip isn't booked at the 6 month window on a high demand weekend. Never had a problem just gave the site and the name of whoever booked. I guess I'm doing everything wrong...

19. Orchid

Apparently it's within the rules, or they wouldn't let you. Not sure if it is here in Florida or not. But our state parks have higher demand than most.

20. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

A parking metered spot is FCFS, no reservation...

If I paid for a Wed through Sunday reservation, end up with TV troubles and not get in until late Thursday night and the spot was sold to another camper, I'd be quite upset....