Staying at a hotel during a LONG trip.

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by kmeece, May 9, 2013.

1. kmeece

kmeece New Member

We will be driving a day and a half on our way to our campground. We decided to stay in a hotel so we could spend most of our time on the road for the first day. For hotel parking would you recommend unhooking the pup and putting your truck in one space on the pup in another, or leaving it hooked up overnight? Silly question, but thought it would be better to have a plan before we head out.

2. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

On long trips with no intermediate destination, we always spend the night at a hotel. Since many include a free breakfast, it gets us on the road quicker. And if they have a pool, it helps everyone relax from a long road trip so we're in better shape for the next day driving.

I've always been able to leave the PUP hooked up to the TV. Again, it helps get off to a quick start and it also is a theft deterent since they'd have to unhook. Thieves want to get in/out as quick as possible. We try to get a room where it's in view so I can keep an eye on the PUP and the TV.

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Most places will have an area you can park hooked up, just ask.

4. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Agree, only places that don't are usually urban downtown hotels. Find one along the highway, and it'll have trailer parking for big rigs or campers. Or it'll be empty enough to where you can just take a few spots.

5. ex-tenters

ex-tenters New Member

We've only had one long trip so far - to Niagara Falls, Ontario.

Since it was our first trip, we didn't want to push it with pulling the PUP, so we stayed right over the border in Sarnia Ontario, and on the return we stayed in Battle Creek MI.

Both times we left the PUP hooked up to the TV. But, we also used all of the hitch locks at our disposal so that no one could disconnect the PUP and drive it away.

We didn't lock down the battery or propane tank, but all was well the next morning.

This year we plan on a longer trip out west, and intend to spend 2 nights at hotels in each direction.

We feel that staying at a CG is too much of a pain for a 1 nighter, and since I have a ton of Holiday Inn points, we stay for free.

WL

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Ask at the desk. There is usually a place where you could park overnight hooked up. Just remember to unplug your electrical connection if your wiring system is set up to deliver power from the TV to the PUP's battery, so the TV's battery is not discharged overnight.

Having said that I can't imagine voluntarily staying in motel/hotels on a camping trip. For me, that's what the PUP is for. Find a nice CG, do a minimal setup, enjoy dinner, rest and move on the next day -- plus save yourself a lot of money. Last year I did a 61-day, 8,100-mile trip. I had seven one-nighters. I did have to stay in a motel one night a couple of years ago because it was late in the year and the CGs in the area where I planned to stop were all closed for the winter.

7. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

We're looking at the same thing.Stopping at a hotel at 10:00 pm versus a CG much earlier, say 7 pm. Three hours a day for two or three days could be almost 600 miles. We could be looking at two nights versus three.

We are leaning toward CGs, but I understand the desire to get there if you have limited time. Also complicating the decision is our timing. Hotels could mean We would be arriving in Yellowstone on July 3rd instead of the 4th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. Kollman

Kollman New Member

The only time we have had trouble with our trailer and coming into a motel is if we do it too late in the evening on a high travel date. (a.k.a. Friday of a 3 or 4 day weekend) Parking can become tough with most of the spots filled up after 9pm. Most times there are other options around the area, or you unhook the camper and park the vehicle in another spot. Just an FYI, but it does make the trip a lot nicer if you are trying to make time. MUCH happier family in the morning. :D

9. flash82

flash82 Member

Unstaple...Yours doesn't count with the trailmanor [:D]

We have done it plenty of times on super long trips. No problems staying hooked up, seem to always have room.

10. Unstable_Tripod

It's true the TM pops up fast and easy. That's one of the reasons I got it. But I followed the same policy with my Fleetwood Yuma, too.

11. ex-tenters

ex-tenters New Member

UT - what's a 'minimal setup'?

Do you pull out only one bunk end or both?

We have 'stuff' on the floor of the PUP - folding table, easy-up shelter, etc., that further complicates staying at a CG for a one-nighter. If we were going to spend a couple of days at each stop along the way, then that would be a totally difefrent situation and we'd stay at CG's.

I think we're also concerned about weather, and folding it up wet and leaving it until we get to the next CG.

WL

12. Unstable_Tripod

A minimal set up for me is no awning, awning mat or other outside stuff except the chairs, which are in the trailer and have to come out anyway. Other stuff stored on the floor is just tossed up on the front bunk. I don't set up the dinette table or put out other interior things that I normally use. After making a very simple supper (heat up a can of stew, for example) I clean up (toss can and disposable plate/spoon) and relax. In the morning it's get dressed, tear down and go. (The bed always stays made up.) I've been on the road 30 minutes after getting out of bed. I get coffee and a danish on the road. If the site allows, I don't unhitch. I can open the TrailManor while hitched but it makes getting into the bed of the truck a bit tight.

13. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

For one night stops we stay at Best Western having fueled up before dinner and eat their provided breakfast for an early start the next morning.

14. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

To the OP, keep it hooked up.

The reason you're staying in a hotel is to save time (which I totally support).
    Camping should be fun, never (IMHO) just to have a place to sleep.

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I understand your dilemma. It sounds like you have the family, so a quick setup would be tough I bet. I say stay at an Interstate Exit Motel. I've traveled all over the country with a trailer hooked up (utility) and stayed at many places just hooked up. I normally park in the back of the lot somewhere.

I notice a lot of posts on PUP about stolen everything. Is that really a problem or just a perceived problem? Like I said, I've pulled a utility trailer around this land for many years, and not once has it or the contents ever been messed with. I worry more about the TV and petty thieves going after GPS and in-vehicle audio/video equipment more than someone targeting a propane tank that is sitting on the porch of nearly every home in America under a grill. I don't know, maybe I've been lucky for a quarter of a century.

Good luck on your trip!

16. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Hooked up and locked. I will be doing the same at the end of this month headed to Glacier. No convenient CG in the Idaho Falls area, don't feel like putting out a friend and spending the night at her place, so a motel it is. I actually did some searching and calling to make sure a TV/Trailer could stay connected.

If someone decides to take a trailer, the minute they pop it off the TV, the TV's motions sensor will set off the TV alarm. [:D]

17. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

We left the Shusap BC a week ago Sat and today will arrive at Lake Placid, the beginnin of our vacation. We stayed in motels every night because of heavy rains except last night when it was high winds. For the rest of the trip here in the east we will be looking for camping in sub regions for 2 or 3 nights as a base camp and sightseeing the region then moving on.