Steady state draw

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by generok, Jun 13, 2019.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Ok folks, need a little help here.

I've seen lower voltages in the morning then I would expect (12.1 to 11.9). I run two Group 24 RV/marine batteries, new last year, both test good, and charge to 12.68V.

I ran an ammeter last night and with everything switched off, I pull 3.98A. The only thing on at that point is the converter, fridge, LP/CO detector and volt meter.

4 amps seems high to me for my resting draw. Does anyone have similar TT resting draw rates?

2. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

4 amp dc at 12v is a bit high. 48 watts tells me you probably have some leakage. Wonder what the wattage of the detector is?

Although, my inverter draws about 80 watts in standby so the converter might be the reason

3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

If AC power is off, why does Converter need to be doing anything ??

Converter is meant to be powered by the AC.

And yes, I will check mine also tonite :)

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

You're not in a popup so that draw sounds a little high but not all that much. You need to find out the amount of the parasitic draws from your fridge and entertainment system. If the fuses in your converter are labeled you can just pull one fuse at a time and note the difference before and after.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We haven't measured standing draw on 12v, but we know the range when it's idling while parked at home and plugged in. (The display on the EMS provides that.)
    Where are you measuring battery level? We were going crazy this spring, trying to figure out why the batteries measured lower inside at the 12v outlet than they did outside with the multi-meter. Finally, Courtenay discovered that the relay, delayed fuse, or whatever it is that is mounted on the A-frame between the battery and inside had become loose. Once he tightened that up (yay, another thing to keep tabs on) all was well. We did end up deciding to disconnect the USB outlets next to the 12v outlet, because we were not sure if they were a vampire draw when not in use, since there's a step-down from 12v to 5v. They're not in a handy spot, and we just decided to eliminate one thing to go bad, since I'd seen several reports here and on another forum of them doing so.
    The first year we had the TT, we chased an electrical gremlin, which turned out to be our LP/CO detector, damaged when pliers got dropped in the battery box, causing a good spark. Similar to your situation, our battery readings were lower than we expected given our usage overnight or between trips if it wasn't plugged in.
    Adding to the confusion was that the original battery proved to be defective, on the first long, dry trip. At the end of that season,t he LP/CO detector finally sent up a fault alarm, we replaced it, and the gremlin went away.

6. generok

The converter serves as the DC power distribution center. It has the fuses and thermal protection (fan). So it's not as much "on" as it is in the loop. It has some draw though.

7. generok

Tonight I think it is time to find what is causing the draw one by one.

8. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

My radio was pulling over 1/2 an amp by itself even when off. It needed power to store the pre sets and run the clock. Could be part of the problem.
    I put a switch on it to stop that.

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Check that the fridge is not on DC and the Brakes are not on

10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

This brings up an interesting topic.... I will have to check my draw next weekend (just out of curiosity)! There is definitely more running than I would like, ie: radio, co detector.

11. generok

So odd. I left the batteries on the charger all night, and they all tested great. So I hooked up the ammeter again, and now I'm only getting 1.14 A resting. That's what I was hoping for. I made note of how much each appliance draws as I turned them on and off at once. (Furnace draws 5A, radio 1.2A, phone charger 0.3A). I'm not sure why I had a high resting draw yesterday and not today. I tested the LP/CO detector and it works well and all green.

So, off to camp tomorrow. I will keep an eye on the voltage.

kitphantom and neighbormike like this.