Steak Out...

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Rik Peery, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

There is an island off Alaska that has a herd of huntable feral cows

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Tasty!

3. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

They aren't cows....They are called Slow Elk.

Bowman3d, Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  4. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Chili goes a lot further and is way more fun in the camper at bedtime.

DiamondGirl and Rik Peery like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I was driving to my folks house in the middle of the country side. Driving slow trying to find my turn off I see a few cows running down the street spooked. If someone came up fast one would have been road kill. Of course their car would too.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not a big fan of frozen beef... [:D]

Bowman3d, Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

I had no idea that beef got so expensive. I went entirely plant-based March of 2012 for health reasons (was told to call hospice and finish off my will).

Price of beans hasn't changed since then. Tofu too.

neighbormike, Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  8. mountainmarge

mountainmarge New Member

I went vegetarian in a long time ago (1976) and never looked back. Missed it at first, but persisted. I am now 80 years ago and have no significant health problems (unlike peers who suffer from 'clogged arteries' etc). And...one never knows if the meat they are eating is safe - consider all the pesticides and insecticides added to the food the animals eat. There are many delicious ways to prepare plant-based foods that meet all our dietary requirements. Even if you cut your meat ingestion in half you would strongly benefit from a diet change. Now we are finding out that methane gas (which our farm animals produce in large volume) is a big contributor to climate change. Meat eating is no longer a dietary issue - it is an earth-saving issue also.

DiamondGirl and Hilldweller like this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I glad you are good with being a vegetarian. But its not for everyone, and people that eat meat can and do lead healthy lives also. Some say there is a coralatuon between the two, I think its more genetics then anything else. As for the climite change debate, they always have something that is the new evil to stop, arisol cans, cows, farming, building, concreate, gas vehicals, coal. Then there is the natural things like pole reversal, moon cycles, axis spin, sun spots and the changing of the tides , etc. So who really knows what contributes more then others? Humans add to it, being consumers and users, but im not getting in line to eliminate myself just yet. And pesdisides, lol. My favorite, your foods has just as pesdisides as the cows do. Without them we would all starve to death. Sad, but true. But hey, i eat organic. Thats safe right? Nope. Organic pesticides are still poison, and because there older and dirived from organic things, the farmers need more of the product ( poisons)to acheive the same goal as the non organic. So, its not really healthier for you. But life is not a competition, its not that i did this better then you. Its about living doing what you like. So , organic or not, vegan or meat eater, just live and have fun. Me , I'm going to have a burger.

10. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hooked on Morning Star spicy black bean burgers myself lol, dang things are pretty tasty...I tag daily veggies/fruit & red meat sparingly, been a good mix thus far...

DiamondGirl, Sjm9911 and Hilldweller like this.
  11. Hilldweller

Try: https://www.gardein.com/chickn-and-turky/classics/ultimate-plant-based-chickn-filets
    Airfry them. Top with this after they're mostly done and brown: https://miyokos.com/products/fresh-vegan-mozzarella-cheese
    Serve with some high fiber pasta and your favorite sauce.
    Out of this world.

Also of note, my friends the Boymans, have exploded recently and their products are available in more and more places.
    https://www.hungryplanetfoods.com/?...Ouk6J3AInyf4z5b6OlzkNNbVAIMJXxgxoCWJEQAvD_BwE
    They've upped the game. Unlike companies like Impossible, Beyond, & Morning Star that make things that taste good but are usually super-high in fat (lots of saturated fat too), Hungry Planet is low in fat and has fiber. Tastes great and won't contribute to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc.

12. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I get you

My meat comes from a local farm so I "know the cow's name" and I know the owner of the farm (really hard to say Farmer in modern times) so I'm as informed as is possible without actually working there

The body does well with balance, and you can balance a purely vegetarian diet, but it is a bit more work than balancing an omnivorous diet.

I was definitely too far over to the "carnivore" side, and was having issues with it. Iron too high, fatty liver, GERD at night, weak stomach in the morning. Doc suggested I try fasting for 24 hours once a week just to see if I would feel better on fast days (and the following morning) - a quick and free way of testing. Sure enough, I felt better.

I didn't want to give up meats, and I'm not great at eating balanced with lots of legumes... so I went to eating red meat once or twice a week, in smaller portions. Chicken and fish each about twice as well. Doing that, I decided I may as well try some of the more expensive cuts (or cheap cuts with long cook times, like with proper barbecue) and I haven't looked back

Still fast once a week too. I feel better, and the medical issues cleared up on their own.

We have friends who are bad at being vegetarians - they look like they are about to drop any second. We have others who are healthier than I will ever be, but they eat a very varied diet, and stopped (mostly) looking to copy meat dishes with mock versions. They just started cooking lots of delicious dishes that were always supposed to be vegetarian. A good starting point is Indian cuisine. Tasty, lots of legumes, and nothing pretending to be meat. Also helps to get over the mindset that vegetarian means lots of Tofu (although tofu can be delicious)

13. Hilldweller

We do the fake meats for camping mostly.

Dinner last night was yakisoba noodles with a bunch of veggies from one of my instructor's garden and some fake ham from the Asian grocery.
    A guy I know that owns a Chinese restaurant told me that lots of places use fake pork and nobody ever knows. 20210924_172029.jpg

We're camping on Allatoona again right now

Eric Webber and Rik Peery like this.