Steamboat Lake State Park

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by MileHigh, Jun 26, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

We stayed at this State Park last week (Thursday through Sunday). About a 4 hour drive from the metro Denver area via I70 to Silverthorne and then North on Hwy 9 to Kremmling, 40 North to Steamboat and Hwy 129 North out of Steamboat.

The State Park is similar to many parts of Colorado in that Beetle kill has affected the trees in most of the area. There are small groves of Aspen and smaller pine trees that have come back so it's not completely barren. Some of the sites have electricity but we did not. Pit toilets were spread throughout the park and were in great shape. There are showers located at the marina as well as a small store.

The sites were fairly well spaced out in our part of the park. It was about a 10 minute walk to Steamboat Lake where we tried out luck at fishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty spectacular views from just about everywhere in the park. Fishing was slow but it is certainly relaxing sitting on the shore of the lake sipping an adult beverage. A little noisy on Friday night with an apparent family reunion nearby. Much quieter the next night though :) Weather was downright cold on Thursday night with a low temperature of 28. It warmed up quickly though with a nice morning sun and blue skies. Definitely, a place we will go back to...

2. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

That's a really nice area. We have not tried that State Park we'll put it on our list. Sounds like the furnace may have came on early morning with those temperatures. Thanks for the review.

3. zonianbrat

zonianbrat New Member

Next time you are out this way check out South Fork state park down by Buford. We stay there quite often and the views are spectacular! Lots of good trails to hike. There are the spring caves that you can spelunk in if that is your thing. I'll post some pics of the area from last weeks camping trip sometime soon.

4. Fless

Fless Active Member

South Fork State Park, in Colorado? Not listed on the Colorado State Parks web site. Where exactly is this park?

I'd like to check it out for a trip....

5. chiefsou

chiefsou Member

Wow...28° in June. I can't even imagine. Lol Beautiful mountains too Love it! Florida is so flat and boring.

~the chief's wife

6. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Fless, I think he is referring to the USFS campground on the South Fork of the White River (Rio Blanco). General area is the SW corner of the Flattops Wilderness Area. One thing he has right- this is magnificent country. Good fishing, good for last season elk hunting. [ALPU] [TV]

SAL