Stepper Door for 1986 Coleman Sequoia

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by carlr, Jul 10, 2011.

1. carlr

carlr New Member

Hello all,
    What are my chances of finding a replacement stepper door for my 1986 Sequoia?
    Ours has gotten a bit rotted out. I repaired it once but I would like to replace it all together. it's the only item on the trailer that actually looks bad.
    Any ideas?

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I'd be surprised if you could find a whole stepper.
    You might find a Pup that is being parted out but be careful you don't get gouged.

Take it off and take it to a sheet metal shop to see if they could build one.
    At least get an idea of cost.

3. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Ditto. Body panels are one of the hardest things to find for older Coleman pups. It might not be the cheapest option, but Twisty's suggestion to find a local sheet metal fabricator to do the job is a good one. The way these step doors are made, it wouldn't be a difficult job to do, but it would be time consuming. There are a LOT of rivets to remove and replace.

Getting the door off in the first place is a chore in itself. I don't know about 1986 models, but the stepper doors I removed on the '75 and '78 models we had were held in place by what seemed like a gazillion sheet metal screws and some 9/16 bolts and nuts. The nuts and bolts came out relatively easily, but I did have to cut off a couple of the screws. They were pretty well stuck solid. It would undoubtedly be easier to take the whole pup to the shop and let them work on it on the pup.

4. carlr

carlr New Member

Both good suggestions. Thanks. I think I will go that route. I spoke with the RV dealer we bought it from and they told me now that the plant has shut down parts are very difficult to get. They are actually buying older Coleman's just for parts. The only issue with mine is the step itself. It is all rotted. I did a little repair but I'm no craftsman.
    Thanks

5. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Keep an eye on Craigslist- local & nearby areas. One may turn up.

6. carlr

carlr New Member

Well, they say if you put it out there it will happen. I drop off my lawnmower for some repair and out in back of the shop was an old Coleman PUP. It appeared to be just left to rot. I walked over to it and was surprised to see the Stepper Door was still solid and in pretty good shape. I asked what the deal was. Well the deal is... you want it ? take it. You can bet I will be there tomorrow night taking it apart. While I am there I will be looking for more parts to salvage for later use. It is an older model than ours but a lot of the parts look the same.

7. papachaz

papachaz New Member

and you're going to buy a lottery ticket tonight, right?

8. carlr

carlr New Member

Oh Ya. We don't dare not. We have played the same #.s since the lottery started. The night I don't buy ...Well you get the picture.