Still Cranking a pop-up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by clay, Mar 10, 2010.

How many PUP owners are over 50 years old?

1. Over 50

212 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Under 50

187 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. RSMacios

RSMacios New Member

Do you have an AC unit on the roof?! We tried the drill and socket trick with no luck. We assume it’s bc of the heavy AC unit on our roof.

2. RSMacios

RSMacios New Member

We can’t get our 20v to lift the roof! What in the world?!

3. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

@RSMacios , we do not currently have an AC on our roof, & here's an update on our mod...it's now not working as well as I'd like, the whiffletree shaft flexes enough to cause the chain to jump off the sprockets. I'm currently headed in another direction on this, & if successful, should work to lift pretty much any roof. I'm gathering parts now, & will create a post detailing the new mod.

UPDATE: Finished the new lift mod early this spring, if interested you can read about it here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/threads/...e-cod-a-bit-long-winded-but-with-pics.122877/
    Been out on 3 trips with it now, & working perfectly.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    RSMacios likes this.
  4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Not all 20V drills are equal. Need to make sure it is a high torque one - some just have a big battery pack but don't have the torque that is needed. I use a Harbor Freight 1/2" wired drill - it was much cheaper than a cordless one, and has way more power. It is also a bigger drill, and easier to keep a good grip on the side handle, and it is variable speed. I have a big heavy roof with A/C as well. No issues but I always take it slow so I don't tax the mechanism too hard.

campfire Joe likes this.
  5. Finally Off The Ground

Finally Off The Ground New Member

I'm over 60 and just got my first pop up. However.....if I could....I would spring for the trailer.

6. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

I say your still a baby LOL. Im 74 and still cranking the pup . I know what you mean and so does my wife .We are both wanting a travel trailer and maybe next year . I wish you well my friend ,I'm with you 100%.

7. mark/wi

mark/wi New Member

I will be 74 in August. We went from a popup, to TT, to a tent, and now have an Aliner. So far we have been out camping for 9 days. The Aliner is very easy and fast to set up. Mark

shuang2 likes this.
  8. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

I'm 50 and wife is 48. We have been together since 1983, but married in 2001. We just bought our first ntu PU after tent camping together for 30 years. I consider the cranking/work a rite of passage into the RV lifestyle and look at it as simply exercise. My wife is out on cranking it though- rotator cuff injury. Like someone else said, I just take my time with all of it. No point in rushing. I'll do the outside setup stuff and installing the door. She'll setup the interior. Some day when I can't do it anymore, we'll go in a different direction. But for now, the airiness and "camping" feel of the popup is where it's at.

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I was 57 when we bought our pup. Once DW -- a dyed-in-the-wool city girl -- decided she liked camping we started talking about the darkside.

Gave the Pup to DD No. 2 last year and went dark.

10. Jess n JJ Julian

Jess n JJ Julian Member

We are closing in on 50, I am 45.

11. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

I am going to be 68 this year and don't have problems using my new Pup. Heck I enjoy getting my family out in the woods as much now as when I was in my 30's. Our last camping trip (with my second family) was my wife's first and their first time going fishing. There are many firsts still to come. Keep on camping and a dancing, or is that dancing and prancing, ah I forget more lyrics than I can remember these days. Enjoy, and for some of younger, see what you missed.

12. towing12345

towing12345 New Member

hmmm

13. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Active Member

IMG_20200719_103911915.jpg I use a Milwaukee 1/2 in. 120v, 4.5 amp, low rpm. Right angle drill. I picked it up at a yard sell for $10.00. I use it to raise the roof as well as my Bal leveler. I burned up a name brand 20v cordless drill. We are 68 and make things as easy as possible

14. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I'm with the over 50 crowd and the exertion wasn't a reason we went to the dark side. For me the twisting and strain of getting the door installed was a bigger pain. The roof lifting was more time consuming than too strenuous.

15. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Active Member

Hit my 60's [and DW not too far behind]... had two back surgeries last year...still crankin'... honestly, it's NOT a problem for me... DW says to take it easy... yes, I'm cautious... aware of my posture when setting up/taking down but, so far, so good... if only I could just figure out how to stop banging my shins

"Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above...Don't fence me in"

Happy Trails

campfire Joe likes this.
  16. paddykern

paddykern Member

Did a test when 62.
    Long trip from Michigan to the Southwest for a month.
    Thought I was getting too old packing up an moving every few days.
    Had no problems.
    The next year we decided to go to the darkside and bought a small class C.
    Didn't buy the MH because too old for the pop-up but decided to pull the trigger on dream just before retirement.

Still miss some things about the pop-up life.
    Having a generator, air conditioner, shower, toilet, refrigerator/freezer and ease of traveling trumped the likes of the pop-up.
    We traveled for a month a year in a pop-up for 31 years.

The pop-up was very inexpensive and basically paid for it's self in three years.
    The class C not so much. Very expensive but we feel it is worth it.

17. Exploring Gods Creations

Exploring Gods Creations New Member

I use to say that to my husband and hes in good shape. Truth is there is setups to any type of camper. On popups it just depends on condition. If you keep things in order they should crank up fairly easy. Our beds arnt hard to pull out at all. I personally really like the popup because we can get into places easier. Some places you can only use a small camper to get into. The weight issue, its much easier to tow and easier on the vehicle. As far as space goes, you can always make ways to create space. We just bought are second one so we will still be popping up for awhile.

18. Dakota

Dakota Member

Well I guess age just creeps up even if you don't really notice. I am 78 and still cranking up the vintage 74 Starmaster 6. Getting ready to head out again this summer. I had bypass surgery back in 2004 and still going strong. Dr. Said afterwords just don't get complacent. I bought this wreck 3 years ago and rebuilt it since 3 lifters had gone through the floor from rot. Replaced the whole front, back, wiring, canvas, changed out the ice box for a frig. Added solar charger and many other mods. I really enjoyed all that and getting out to the mountains here in Utah. For me it is the cats meow. Who needs a bigger money pit.

19. LaneG

LaneG Member

My wife and I are 68 & 69. We just bought a pup a few months ago. As of yet we haven't gone "camping" in it. Will later this month. There has been just too much going on lately. But we've had it up and down put away several times now. Anyway, I'm not worried about the physicality of setup, I've got two cordless drills I'll take with me that will lift the top and set the four corner stabilizers. Even without the drill motors I can do it. I'm slow but I'll get there.

20. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

I'll be 60 this year. I've had bilateral total knee replacements, and my L shoulder is pretty painful-probably will get a reverse total shoulder before retirement. First PUP was a 1990-ish Palomino Pony- manual overhead (military) press to lift the roof. then put little bolts in to make sure the roof didn't fall back down.

Moving up to a crank roof 2013 Coachmen Clipper 108 Sport made life easier. The crank works fine. I crawl under and grease the zerks every year. It really isn't difficult to crank up. It's about 30-40 cranks. I usually do it, sometime my wife takes turns. Installing the door is a little tough on my shoulder, but doable.

I think the biggest issue is the Slide N Lock system. Its great not having to duck under to install the bunk supports. But they have issues. The spring loaded devices that hold the beds out fully are poorly engineered. 2 of them are broken, but I have found a good hack to substitute. Still happy I don't need anything else to hold up the beds.

EDIT: OOPS! I guess I already wrote the same thing 2 years ago on the 5th page! Must be getting old!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020