Still searching for my first PUP…..storage bin vs. box size

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by cherk, Jun 30, 2015.

1. cherk

cherk New Member

Hello out there,

Well, I'm searching for my first PUP….I'm considering the Viking 1906 ST (8.5' box with storage bin, 1 full bed, 1 double bed) or the Viking 2107 (10' box, no storage bin, 1 queen bed, 1 full bed).

I like the layout of the Viking 2107 and the bed sizes, but it doesn't have the storage bin at the front. The Viking 1906 ST has a smaller box size, which means smaller beds, and not my preferred layout. But otherwise it seems to have all of the features that I'm looking for.

I don't want to go any bigger than the Viking 2107 (the next model up is the 2108 ST) because I want to stay well below the tow capacity of my vehicle as I keep seeing over-loaded vehicles pulling tent trailers.

So, here's my question: How useful is that front storage bin on your tent trailer? Would you give up bed space to have it? The tent trailer will be used by 2 adults + 2 small children.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

Have you checked out the Palominos?? They have similar layouts as the Viking, but come in a 10 foot box with storage trunk. I would not give up that trunk for anything in the world. Its great for stinky stuff like your lantern or stove, dirty stuff like chocks and blocks, and is easily accessible when the trailer is up or down. Now our trailer is a 2009, and they may have changed since them, but we love the size we have and the storage up front. With 4 people, the 10 foot box - if you can tow it - is the smallest I would go. Here is a link with the same floor plan as what we have.
    http://www.palominorv.com/productinfo.aspx?model=tentcampers&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=289&RVType=CT
    Good luck in your search.

3. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I'm another one who could not live without my front storage box. I keep all my blocking, chocks, step ladder, water jugs and a whole lot of other stuff I can't think of right now. For me, there is absolutely no way I could consider a p'up without the front storage box.

4. cherk

cherk New Member

Thanks for your reply Postman. Yes, I really like the Palomino 10 DFG layout, bed sizes and storage bin, and would go for this model but I think it's pushing it for my TV. The GVWR is almost 3000lbs but my tow capacity is only 3500 lbs. I'd like to stay at 75% of that number. I keep seeing people that have clearly over-loaded their vehicles, which I feel is unsafe and damaging to the TV. So my PUP selection is somewhat limited, and will probably need to compromise on something…so it's back to my original question on whether that compromise is the bed size or the storage bin….

5. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Here's what I keep in my front storage box:

Two 6-gallon fresh water jugs. Two 7-gallon gray-water jugs. Two potable water hoses. Two gray water hoses. Assorted hose fittings for each. Pumpout/RV-Sewage adapters. Water filters. BBQ grill. Cordless drill for stabilizer jacks. Electrical cords including shore-power cord. Various electrical adapters. Charcoal. Fire starters. And at times, camp chairs and a picnic table canopy.

If you travel light, with only one freshwater jub, one gray-water jug, one of each type of hose, and no picnic table canopy, would the trailer that lacks a front storage bin have sufficient storage space elsewhere to carry those things conveniently?

If so, then you could do without the front bin. For me it's highly useful.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Question you need to ask yourself would be how long do you see owning the trailer before you upgrade. The smaller bed may fit your children for right now as they are small, but they will grow up fast and you may find the smaller bed just not as great as it was. You may want to try to have your entire family sit inside both trailers for longer then a few minunets to get a good feel how it my fit for your family. Personally I'm thinking the 10 footer would work better for a growing family, but then again my family isn't as tight knit and personal as some and required more separation. Just my [2C]

7. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We went for the interior space. At times we wish that we had more storage, but we never regret the extra floor plan we have by not having a large front storage. We have front storage, but it is built into the body, not separately mounted on the tongue. It is medium in size and could be more convenient. But the open space inside feels great when we camp. We do not have kids, but if we did, we would want the extra space. We use our TV bed for most of our things. We have large labeled totes under the tonneau. It's worked well for us. We have also refined our supplies to eliminate extraneous stuff that is not used or needed.

8. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

We don't have a storage bin on ours, but only two of us.
    I have to say I would like one, but as it is we transport a fair bit of stuff in the TV and once the PUP is up, then storage is generally under the PUP.
    Even with the two of us, I feel the interior space is real important and I would not give that up.
    Particulary on the cold and wet days and nights when we can share the warmth with our buddies who don't have a furnace in theirs.

9. cherk

cherk New Member

Hmmm…..seems like the storage bin is really useful, but so is the inside space!! It sounds like a lot of people land up upgrading over time, but I'm hoping to choose a PUP we will enjoy for 10 years or more. We just purchased a mini-van so upgrading to a bigger PUP as the kids grow isn't really an option, at least for several years. I guess we can always store the camping stuff in TV, and in the garage when we're not using it. Sounds like lots of handling (and moving things around back and forth), but maybe it's more important to be comfortable once we're set up at site??

10. JT105

JT105 Member

The storage space is very useful as stated in previous comments.
    I had a Skamper 21D 10' interior and a 2' storage. It towed great behind my 3.3L Dodge Caravan. All the extension cords, lantern, water jugs, wheel chocks, etc that you need before the camper is setup went in the front box. Pull into camp, empty the box, kids get to work while I leveled and cranked up the top. The larger beds on the 10' living space was nice. Not sure why the newer PUPs are heavier now. Mine was a 1997 and dry weight of about 1600lbs and a similar 2015 model is about 2000lbs. That GVW number you posted above sounds like a max loaded weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

Hi cherk and welcome. I'm partial to the storage bin for the hoses, BAL leveler, straps, all the dirty muddy stuff etc. Our Williamsburg is a 12' box, GVWR of 3500 pounds and at the upper limit of our Grand Caravan. When we moved cross-country, I was very concerned with how much more "stuff" we were carrying that we would not usually take camping. A lot of personal belongings that we didn't trust to the moving company (military move, we hand carried a lot), plus our pets, plus... well... a lot. We put it on the truck scales and even will all that "extra", I was right at the max weight listed in the specs. A quick stop on the truck scales and I had peace of mind that when we were on a typical camping adventure, I was within the range my TV can handle. As we made the drive, I took it easy, stopped every few hours and let the brakes and engine cool down, I didn't push the TV too hard uphill, checked the fluids regularly etc. Think about what you will really end up carrying between the mini-van and the PUP combined, it's admirable to stay within that 75% of your max, is that goal set in stone? If you have the right towing package and you take care of the TV, it is designed to handle that load. Also consider your region and how often you plan on camping. If you take one or two trips per year, that's not a lot of wear on the TV, versus on the road months at a time in the mountains for example. What kind of TV do you have? Put that information in your profile and folks on the forums will be able to help with more specifics. Sounds like it will come down to personal preference for you and the family, and that is truly the "right" answer. Good luck!

12. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

Go for the larger interior. Storage box is a waste of space. It seems like some people here over pack and need the storage. I chose 12 foot box over 10 foot box with trunk and have never regretted it. Plus it sounds like you like the 10 footer anyway unless you plan on storing wife or kids in the waste of space at the campsite.

13. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Just reading on here leads me to believe that the storage bins leak....

14. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

I would go for the larger box. In cold or wet weather it will make all the difference in the world. The extra storage is nice, but do we really need to carry all that? As for pushing your tow vehicle's limits, you do not have to load that much in your camper. Both our tow vehicle and our camper are rated at 3500#. I do not think we have ever come close to loading enough in the camper to come close.

15. mrclortho

mrclortho New Member

I tow with a full size truck so have the room for storage but maybe with a smaller SUV, it would be pretty usefull. Also, consider that a lot of these pups are pretty heavy on their little tires so if you go and load up a storage box with a lot of stuff, you could overload the tires and add a lot of tongue weight. I have found that I have enough storage room in the compartments and a storage bin would be nice but not worth the interior space. I am often surprised and how much left over storage I have.

Previous posters are right. We got caught in an all day storm and would have lost our minds in a tiny pup (two adults, two kids, two dogs). We were comfortable and the kids played games in their queen sized bed.

16. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Both of my Coleman popups are 12' with storage bins. Niagara has a slide out which made the inside ROOMY! Yet the max weight is 3500 lbs. I use the storage bin for all plumbings, chucks, tools, charcoal, firewood, step ladder and misc. The storage bin is not a wasted space but very useful to keep all the stuff that would have to be put in the camper without storage bin during rain... I saw a new camper that has slide out storage bin which is cool!!!!!!!

17. WingShot

WingShot New Member

This is another one of those questions that really depends on your family and camping situation and lifestyle. For us, it is just the Princess and I, plus a spoiled hunting dog. Ours is a 10' box and it sometimes feels cramped with just the three of us. But the front storage box seems indispensable (and it does not leak!).

Front storage box carries everything form wheel chocks and lynx blocks, to BBQ grill and charcoal. Plus the tool bag, grey water hose, cables and locks, extension cord, step ladder, axe and hatchet, rubber mallet, ratchet straps, rain suits, flags...and more.

18. gruss

gruss Active Member

I'd love to have a storage box up front, but we've spent to many rainy days in our old small camper miserable. ..new one? Break out the board games and enjoy the day anyway. If you can have both great...with kids floor space is king, you can find ways to haul stuff and pack creatively.

sent from a phone.

19. davido

davido Well-Known Member

One thing I should mention...

Although I really like the front storage bin, it is a little more limited than it ought to be.

The balance of my trailer is such that with an empty forward storage bin, the tongue weight is about 450 pounds. ...this on a trailer with a GVWR of 3200, and a typical loaded weight of about 2900-3000 pounds. So although it handles like a dream, it is tongue heavy, and I have to be careful how much I load into that forward bin.

Putting a couple empty freshwater jugs, a couple empty graywater jugs, a small dutch oven, some nylon wheel chocks, a cordless drill, assorted hoses, and a 30A power cord... with lots of space remaining it is as heavy in front as I am comfortable with.

I stow my campsite canopy, camping chairs, bbq, and sleeping bags inside the trailer itself, as far back as possible to avoid pushing the tongue weight over 500 pounds.