STINK BUGS!!!!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by orion669, May 17, 2017.

1. orion669

orion669 New Member

argh! i camped in oct last year and i was over ran with stink bugs. when i cleaned the camper at the season end i was hoping they would die off over winter. i just opened pup for spring cleaning and pre. well the little buggers are back. does anyone know how to get rid of them. i vacuumed whatever i saw but didnt get them. a real PITA! thanks folks i look forward to any info

rick

2. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

I don't think I'll be much help here, but I'll share anyhow. They get in my Jeep Cherokee all the time, how I'm not sure, but it totally creeps me out to look up and see one marching along across the visor right next to my head! I have to stop somewhere and get something like a napkin or umbrella, coax it to climb onto the item, and shake it off a distance from the Jeep, always watching to make sure it doesn't crawl onto my hand while I'm doing this. I had eight at once in the Jeep at one point last year! Yuck!

The only thing I've managed to kill them with was heat. One wasn't smart enough to exit the vehicle before I parked it in direct sun in the middle of summer-- it was hanging out on the spare tire cover in the back section -- and at some point it died. I left it for a while to be sure it was dead. Haha. I hate those buggers almost as much as I hate cockroaches. I am loathe to kill them myself because of an incident some years back with one of the large ones. I was on the deck one afternoon, and something hit me right beside my eye; I instinctively swatted it on my face. It was a stinkbug, and when I whacked it it released that noxious stink juice which put a welt right at the edge of my eye. It burned like acid; I'm just glad it didn't get IN my eye. It took two weeks for that welt to disappear, and it was uncomfortable for most of that time. Horrible experience. I just know if I step on one it will manage to get up to my face and squirt me again. You apparently can't reason with your brain after a traumatic incident like that. So I don't try. [B)]

Now, totally off topic, orion669, do you have that avatar because you play Native American flute? 'cause I do, and I'm always looking for more of my kind. [:D]

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My old jayco was also infested by those buggers every spring. Not sure where they come but I just use a vacuum to suck them all up. Look under the valance as they love to hide under there. When I bought my new to me camper I was talking to the RV shop owner (small shop) when I noticed two vacuum cleaners. One was for stink bugs and the other not. He has sucked up so many of those buggers in campers it stinks up the vacuum. [XX(]

4. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

EEEWWWWW!

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I have to admit I'm glad that most of the places we camp don't have such invasive bugs. We have stink bugs, but they're a beetle, not a shield bug. We also have shield bugs, but they don't seem to occur in swarms like the stink ones do.
    I camped in the side yard at my MIL's in SE Ohio for 10 days last October. She had stink bugs, though not in huge numbers. They were, however, a constant presence while we were there. I was finding them, usually 1 at a time, in the truck and TT for a long while. Our last trip of the year was over Thanksgiving, so I figured any remaining ones would freeze. Nope, I've had several in the TT so far this camping season. No wonder you folks living in those areas complain about them!

6. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

Unfortunately cold temps have no effect on those stinkers. Funny ,they like wooded areas as we campers do!

7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

When I moved out of our rental house in February 2016, I found about 200 in my dryer vent tubing... All cooked...

8. Lisar1969

Lisar1969 Member

We live in east central Ohio and have them everywhere! If you want to kill them quickly, knock them into a can of water with some dish soap in it. I did find that TSC carries an insecticide called "Spider Killer" in a gallon jug with a sprayer that kills them. It doesn't kill them immediately, but they will die. I sprayed it all over and around our storm door and it keeps killing them for a week or two. The pile of stink bugs under my door when I came home from work was disgusting. I rolled on one of them and squashed it between my arm and side. Whatever they gave off that makes the stink ate into the skin on the underside of my arm. I have a scar and it is still pink and that happened over a month ago.

9. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

When we had our popup, we ended up with hundreds of them in the camper. Literally, hundreds!! We were camping and they found a gap in the canvas and decided that was an invite. I was vacuuming them up for weeks. They were behind the curtains, valances and under the mattresses. Seems to be more of an issue in the fall when they look for winter quarters.
    Don't think that there is a repellant for these guys, but luckily i have not encountered another invasion like that one since. One or two bugs every now and then is not really a problem after that experience.

10. orion669

orion669 New Member

i did find a handy dandy gadget. a battery operated vac with a lone tube(12") with a cap on the end. suck up the sb and cap it and dispose of in any manner you choose. i havent tried mine yet but will today when i clean the pup

11. orion669

orion669 New Member

thanks folks for the response. i found online some herbal help. the first one is mint"water". crush 2tsp of mint leaves in 2 cups of water and spray entry points. doesnt kill them but said to discourage them from entering and may even drive them out. you can also use mint essential oils. a few drops in water and spray. ill still have to vac them up but maybe only a few will come in. ill report back.

12. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I wonder if you could put a block of dry ice in the camper when closed and suffocate the bugs.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We never figured out all the places they lodged - I'd think you'd have to spray the undercarriage and all the nooks and crannies - under the roof edge, lifter arms etc. In both the TT and truck, they have just sort of appeared, crawling in our sight. I haven't seen any in a few weeks, I hope they are all finally gone.

14. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

Yup. That's what I'm talking about. I'm so happy that it didn't get into my eye. It was right at the edge of the eyelid. Horrible experience.

15. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

Hah. When you think they're all gone, one will come crawling across the top of the windshield. I will say, though, that I've only found one in the Jeep so far this spring. But it was one too many. Hate those things.

16. orion669

orion669 New Member

hi ken, im not sure if my camper would be airtight enogh to do that.

17. Hikeswithcats

Hikeswithcats New Member

My bug obsessed cat will hunt them for fun (Thankfully, he doesn't eat them, just likes to "Play" With them until they're dead) [}:)]..
    They DO suck though... I get them in my apartment every fall. I find it easier to wait until they die to pick them up than to try and kill them. The smell from even one of those buggers is enough to make even the strongest stomach gag.
    With all that said though, I'd rather deal with sink bugs in a camper than mice. There are worse things....[XX(][V]

18. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I think you hit it on the head there!

kitphantom likes this.