Stink Shower and Shave. Camper with no dedicated bathroom...

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dbhost, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, you think thats an art! Try being 6'6" and showering in the sholet. I sit on the throne and rinse off what i can! Dont juge me. It works.

2. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Part of the point of this thread is trying to figure out the art of the shower for those not thusly equipped and if you do, how and why are you capturing gray water.

A good example is, if you are using Campsuds bio friendly soaps, why bother with capturing gray water? However if you are using regular shampoo and germicidal soap, yeah I get it...

Most privy tents I have seen, have no way of capturing gray water, they simply dump on the ground. HOWEVER, like I mentioned above for inside the camper use, you can do the same in the privy, use a tote, probably smallest I would consider is a 27 gallon tote, that you can stand it, and allow run off to collect in the tote, then drain that into a carrying container / tank...

What other ways are there to collect gray water when using a privy tent?

3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I bet finding a tent tall enough to stand in is a challenge!

4. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

6FD851AE-87A0-4AC6-987C-73C916F5417C.jpeg
    Several ways to capture the black and gray nasty out of privy tent. Elaborate setup like I posting To simple plastic hot water heater pan to bilge pump. Or bullet proof 6FD851AE-87A0-4AC6-987C-73C916F5417C.jpeg

5. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I have taking outdoor showers boondocking in 20 degree temps.

6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I've seen that pic before and commented on it. It is an awesome idea, for shorter people. For anyone approaching 6' tall or taller, makes for cramped space in a privy tent...

The hot water heater catch pan isn't the worst idea I have heard, although they tend to be pretty shallow, you'd have to attach a hose and assume sloped ground to let gravity take your gray water to a tank..

A simple storage tote, like this one with measurements 30 15/16"L x 20 5/16"W x 14 9/16"H offers a sufficiently large catch pan for even bigger campers to use (I know, I am one!).

[​IMG]

You can clip up a plastic shower curtain tucked into the tub or just rely on running your gray into the tote off your body, either way works...

Use a large plastic funnel from Walmart or a dollar store to help transfer the gray water to your holding tank / device or pour down a proper drain when done...

Mind you, the water coming off of you in the shower SHOULD be considered "gray" water, not "black" water. I.E. shouldn't be sewage. If it is, you have a completely different set of problems.

Handling of black water, and gray water should be different.

Now as I have mentioned above, I have somewhat recently switched from a solid chemical toilet (Bucket toilet with bags with Bio Gel) where the sanitary waste was contained in a bag and carried out and disposed of in regular trash / landfill. As my wife and I are trying to up our camping time, and want to reduce our landfill footprint, we went with a flushing portable toilet with a 5.3 gallon (I think) black tank capacity. That black tank content simply gets dumped down a regular toilet and flushed. It usually takes several flushes. OR I have dumped it at an RV dump station as well. Which works great as they usually have rinse water that helps me clear the black tank better..

7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Okay folks, here is the shower rig with gray water collection I have been thinking of...

#1. Good size shower / privy tent with at least 6' 6" headroom. I can't link to mine as it is so old now, but I have a Cabelas Deluxe Shower Shelter. 4.5' x 4.5' footprint, with a 6' 9" interior height I believe.
    #2. Portable toilet of your choice, this gets scooted out of the way, but is necessary for a "bathroom".
    #3. HDX Tough Storage 27 gallon tote. https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-Gal-Tough-Storage-Tote-in-Black-HDX27GONLINE-5/205978361
    #4. 1/2" x 10' schedule 40 PVC pipe, need 4 joints of this. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Genova-...VC-Schedule-40-Pressure-Pipe-310057/300300843 The cuts are going to be...
    28". Yes it will be tight, 4 segments for the ring, 2 sements per leg x 4. You will need a total of 12 segments. Remaining leg segments should be 18", this should make each leg 6' 2" high. You will also need 4 stub ends from the PVC for the tees. Use the extra from the joints of PVC, just make sure they are even lengths.
    #5. 4 1/2" sch 40 90 degree slip joints.
    #6. 4 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/2" slip x slip x slip sch 46 tees.
    #7. 8 1/2" x 1/2 slip x slip couplers.
    #8. 2 sets of dollar store shower curtain rings.
    #9. 2 dollar store shower curtain liners.
    #10. Gorilla Tape. No joke. This stuff works for what we are using it for!
    #11. To keep the tote from cracking, especially if you are a big person, set it up over sand if possible, or use a memory foam anti fatigue mat cut to fit under it.
    #12. Last but not least, your heated, or not, shower sprayer of choice. I am going to use a Zodi Instant Hot Shower on Propane.

Now that you have the stuff, set it up.

#1. Set up your privy tent, or space inside your camper if you wish.
    #2. Set up the PVC ring making sure you have the Tees on the long sides and all pointing the same way for down. Set up the legs and slip them into the Tees...
    #3. With everything stood up, slide the tote without the lid, under the newly set up frame, wide side of frame oriented to wide side of tote.
    #4. Using the Gorilla tape, Tape the legs to the sides of the tote so that it doesn't move around.
    #5. Tape the joints so that they don't slip apart.
    #6. Set up the shower curtain / rings over the hoop, and tuck the shower curtain liner into the tote.
    #7. Set up your camp shower heater / pump thingy per MFG directions, or however you can make it work.
    #8. Step in, take a nice hot shower, or cold your choice.
    #9. Step out, dry off, get dressed nice and clean.
    #10. Un tape the frame from the tote, and remove tote to whatever means of gray disposal / collection you use.
    #11. Wipe dry the shower curtains and tote.

Once done, everything for your shower, and if you did it right including your toilet, will break down and stow in the tote.

8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

That’s about 10 more steps than I care to do camping.
    #1 get dirty
    #2 shower when I get home.

BedHead and Toedtoes like this.
  9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

FWIW I was merely addressing those concerned with capturing shower / gray water.

Typically speaking, if you use environmentally friendly soaps and such, no need to worry about gray water.

Typically speaking, any campsite I am allowed to stay in is at least 150' away from a waterway of any sort, so it's not like runoff is an issue.

FWIW there are those of us that simply put, have to have to clean up every day for medical reasons.

And look at it this way. You are beach camping. You've had a long day in the sand and the sun. Do you want to go to bed with sand in unmentionable places? I don't!

There is always the sponge bath method. Not my favorite, but I have done it... Certainly takes far less space and setup!

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Everyone has their own preferred method but this is way to complicated for me.

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

That's how I do it. There is something refreshing about getting home and taking a nice long hot shower.

12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

For those that wait to get home from a trip to shower / bathe a couple of questions that may be relevant...

#1. Hows your weight?
    #2. Are you single or married / involved with a significant other?
    #3. How long are you camping trips?

I find that with my weight, I tend to sweat a LOT more than I like, and tends to make me feel disgusting. A daily cleanup of some sort is absolutely mandatory.

Even before I put on weight, I found that camping with a partner, we don't want to offend each other. Again bathing is mandatory there...

Even with a quick damp rag wipe down daily, to "freshen up" after a long weekend, by day 4 a shower is a MUST for cleanliness / hygeine.

I can see it if you are overnighting for a night or two. Just hit the pits with some deodorant and write yourself an IOU for a shower, but after a while, ewwwwww.....

13. gladecreekwy

none of those questions are relevant to me. Some of the main reasons we don’t shower
    We live in an area with almost no humidity
    Couldn’t bring enough water to shower anyway
    Not easily offended
    Baby wipes are adequate

14. Toedtoes

It's a personal thing. I've been known to wash my hair in a creek (biodegradeable shampoo). If there is a shower at the campground, I will take advantage of it after several days.

But mostly, I do baby wipes and sponge baths as needed to stay fresh where it counts and to clean off any real dirt.

I do acknowledge that I do not sweat a great deal and I don't camp where it's hot. So that helps a lot.

15. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder, the folks posting up saying they don't bathe while camping. What kind of climate do you camp in? I simply can't imagine not bathing at least every 2 days or so while camping in the south / Gulf coast.... It's stinking humid down here!

CarlaCB likes this.
  16. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I can't say enough good about biodegradeable soaps. I keep a bottle of Campsuds with Citronella, Lavender, Peppermint Oil in my toiletries pack. Works great, and has the added bonus of helping to drive away mosquitoes!

Should be noted, No hair gets washed unless absolutely sweat soaked on camping trips... Camp Suds is a lousy shampoo...

17. Toedtoes

I'm more likely to wash my hair than shower because I have curly hair and it tangles. The biodegradable isn't great, but if I finish with a touch of leave in conditioner, it's good enough until I can get a real washing at home.

I camp in the sierras mostly. Warm days and cold nights. And "it's a dry heat". And with my knees, I don't do any major sporting activities - just casual hiking on a limited basis.

18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Yeah, climate differences...

I used to camp in the Rincons in Arizona, and I could go a week straight without needing a shower no problem. By the afternoon of day 2 camping at Padre Island in south Texas, even if I say was able to spray off the sand to keep from having sand in the skivies as it were, the sticky, nasty sweat is just unbearable. 90 deg F days with 90% RH, and coated with saltwater and seaweeed funk. Yeah I need a shower!

19. gladecreekwy

We camp in NW Wyoming. 15-20% humidity, very dry. Summmer temps 75-80 during the day, 30-40 at night in summer. I have been known to jump in the creek or river on really hot days.

20. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Sounds like heaven!