Stolen hitch

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by Capstone, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Capstone

Capstone New Member

Anyone know if garages are responsible for theft?

Truck broke down traveling through Alabama. Had it towed to Pep Boys and they had it 3 days. When I got it back my weight distribution hitch was missing.

They said they weren’t responsible for theft (not paying for new hitch).

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Depends on what the written agreement states. Their garagekeepers insurance may cover it, depends on the policy though. It has been a while since I looked at a garage liability policy.

Capstone likes this.
  3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I'm assuming they stole the ball mount. Was it locked with a locking pin and they had to cut it off? If so, I'd say you could speak to a manager and question the security of their vehicle storage area that allows a determined thief time and opportunity to work on a locking pin. Same if it was out of the receiver and inside the locked vehicle.

If it wasn't a locking pin, I would think the owner would be of the opinion that the accessory was not properly secured. If it was out of the vehicle and loose in the bed, same argument.

That's just my opinion. If you want to push for reimbursement, you just have to be assertive, but not aggressive, and keep asserting your position and your deep, deep disappointment in Manny, Moe and Jack and Icahn Enterprises L.P. as a whole.

4. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

What parts are you missing? I got a spare in the garage.

5. Capstone

Capstone New Member

No locking pin unfortunately. Lesson learned. Haven't left the new hitch attached since.

The manager was receptive to locating me a new hitch until she found out it was a $700 Equalizer hitch. Then a call to the owner and the denial.

They have the hitch on camera when the tow truck delivered the truck. Just got off the phone with Manny, Moe, and Jacks' rep. I'll be emailing all the sordid details to corporate and they'll be investigating.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  6. Capstone

Capstone New Member

Thanks for the offer but I had to buy a whole new hitch (we were traveling to FL from TX). Camping world wouldn't sell the head only.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

At the very least you insurance may cover it.

Capstone likes this.
  8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Technically (and I don’t agree with this, but this is how it was explained to me as a shop owner) if the vehicle is in my possession, aka on my property, and I have the keys to said vehicle, I (the shop) am responsible for it. I am sure there are legal loopholes however. What I don’t agree with is there’s no realistic way to control who comes on the shop property or who decides to drop a car off for that matter... fenced/ locked parking lots are not “a thing” around here.

Capstone likes this.
  9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

File a police report ASAP

Capstone likes this.
  10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Most shops around my area store all the cars inside at night.