STOLEN POPUP!!

Discussion in 'The Woodshed' started by LNicoleAdler, Apr 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LNicoleAdler

LNicoleAdler New Member

Hello!

My boyfriend and I had our Forest River Flagstaff MAC Tent Trailer (2015 or 2016 not sure) stolen from a gated lot we had it parked in a few months back. It was stolen from Torrance, CA and the police have since had no leads and no information to give us. We, unfortunately, didn't have it insured since we had only taken it out a handful of times.

Long story short, we won our beloved pop-up on the game show Let's Make A Deal in 2016 and even though we hadn't had the chance to take it out much, we LOVED our little home. In fact, we were just in talks of considering living in it for a few months on the road to save on rent in California.

What we know is the person who did this is most likely a pro. They broke the gate of the industrial park lot it was parked in. Our particular model doesn't have an AC unit or potty/shower. Our battery box was missing a cover and the spare tire was missing.

I've checked craigslist, rvtrader, rvt, and many more sites for similar models nationwide and no luck. If you have any information whatsoever can you please reach out to me and we will let the police know. As of now, there is not much else the police can do. They said the last trailer thief they caught had stolen 30+ trailers and we just really want our mini home back.

Attached Files:

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Did the gated lot have security cams? I hope it all works out for you...

3. LNicoleAdler

LNicoleAdler New Member

From what the police have told us, they did not. It was a lot at an industrial park that belonged to our landlord and they tried to claim it under their insurance as well but were not able to.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I hope it all works out for you. That is one of my fears where I store my camper at. Even though it's fairly away from the main road it is just a tall chain link fence and simple padlock. Did the storage yard lose other campers as well or do you know?

5. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Can you sue your landlord? As in, a "friendly" lawsuit; his liability insurance should pick up the tab. Consider a free consultation with a lawyer.

6. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Do you have the VIN written down somewhere? That and a license plate can make a difference if someone stumbles on it.

7. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Sorry about your pop-up. Keep doing this, post images and all the information you can on all the local social media around you. You are more likely to have it found with a million eyes out there.
    Post it in Craig's list, Facebook, local news ect.
    You might want to contact your local tv news too, you have a good story to tell.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

I feel your pain, we had a travel trailer stolen that we had furnished as a home away from home.
    Police found it trashed in a chop shop lot.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wow, hope by getting the info out there you will get it back. I will look online a bit also.

LNicoleAdler likes this.
  10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I feel for you guys... That sucks... I count my blessings everyday that we are allowed to park our two RV's here at the house...

Back yard light comes on at night using motion detection... My dogs will bark their heads off too...

Hope you all get lucky and get it back....

We had a flash of PROPANE TANKS being stolen around here of late in the county. Apparently those are used for meth labs in the woods...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

LNicoleAdler likes this.
  11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm so sorry, I hope you are able to get it back or at least get it covered by the landlord's insurance. I'm no lawyer, but my common sense says they should cover it if you were paying to store it there.

This is exactly why every state should require a title for every trailer, regardless of the weight. There are too many places a thief could take this, register it as their own and get tags. They are always supposed to have the trailer on site (if no title,) where the DMV worker is supposed to walk outside and check the VIN, but I know for a fact this doesn't always happen.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Pray that you find your PUP.

LNicoleAdler likes this.
  13. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

X2 on finding a "good" lawyer.

Insurance companies are not your friend and have no duty to you. Let's just say insurance companies are often less than honest when it comes to paying damages. Filing a lawsuit is never the first option but landlords and insurance companies are not going to help you unless they are forced to do so.

Obviously, the other side of the problem will be finding a "good" lawyer. I'm not trying to give you legal advice. Weigh your options carefully since it is difficult to quantify the cost of getting legal help vs. the value of the trailer. If it was me, I would start with having your lawyer write a letter to both the landlord and the insurance company (if you know who that is).

Finding a "good" lawyer is another topic all together.....

LNicoleAdler likes this.
  14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sorry that you lost your PUP, they do grow on you. I am glad I can store my unit next to my shop at home. I Hope the Police are able to track it down and return it to you. Good luck on the search and I hope you get it back soon

LNicoleAdler likes this.
  15. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I am so sorry for you. It's a big fear of mine.
    Hope it is found soon and in good shape or you find a good replacement.

LNicoleAdler likes this.
  16. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Neighboring businesses may have had cameras if you can narrow the time frame of the theft. Police can do that legwork for you.

17. erich82

erich82 Active Member

How are they less than honnest? OP chose not to insure an insurable loss, and stored it on someone else's property. The landlord's insurance policy would not cover it because it does not belong to him ( you don't insure other's personal property under your policy, but your own). Exceptions are say if you were operating said vehicle in the course of your business, such as a garage or rv dealer, but then only while it is being used. Just parked doesn't count.

Sounds like the landlord took reasonable precautions, such as gating and locking his lot. There is no liability suit here. Perhaps a civil suit, but then that has nothing to do with insurance, and you'll still have to prove neglect. The judge will likely just tell you that you should have insured it, because that's what a reasonable person would do with a 3 year old camper.

xxxapache likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

+2 on this. Some one down the block may have footage of the camper being towed away.

LNicoleAdler likes this.
  19. LNicoleAdler

LNicoleAdler New Member

Nothing else was stolen that we know of. Our landlord used to have his boat parked there and that wasn't taken but we don't know if it was even still parked there at the time of the robbery.

20. LNicoleAdler

LNicoleAdler New Member

We didn't have a contract exactly, although he was paid through the same online portal we pay our rent through, so I'm not sure what legal rights we have. But definitely worth consulting a lawyer, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.