STOLEN POPUP!!

Discussion in 'The Woodshed' started by LNicoleAdler, Apr 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LNicoleAdler

LNicoleAdler New Member

Since we never expected this to happen (and frankly, because we're inexperienced trailer owners) we never wrote down our VIN or license plate. In fact, the DMV even sent our title to the wrong address so we don't even have a physical copy of that either. It's a huge mess.

2. LNicoleAdler

LNicoleAdler New Member

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I already know all of the new home goods, cookware, keepsakes inside will be all gone. And since PUPs are so tricky to put up unless you know what you're doing that I'm sure its going to be broken too.

3. LNicoleAdler

LNicoleAdler New Member

We DO have a title for it, just not a paper copy. But it is registered in our name at the DMV.

4. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

X3. I'm sorry for your loss. It all boils down to your lack of insurance on camper. Why should your lack of doing so become someone else's problem? Don't waste taxpayers $ in court for your lack of not insuring the camper.

xxxapache and JWeible like this.
  5. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

I would bet if you look through all of your photos you will find one where you can read the plate number in it. A quick (well not so quick) trip to DMV will get you a copy of all of you paperwork. Wherever you took delivery of it will also have a copy of the VIN on file.
    Suing your landlord is a rabbit hole I would not want to fall into. It would be very hard to prove neglect, and will only end up damaging your relationship.
    Don't give up looking for it, if they do find it you are going to need paperwork to prove it is yours.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

A liability suit is a civil suit. That's why I mentioned a "friendly" lawsuit against the landlord. The landlord's insurance will pay for his defense (that's why insurance always has personal liability coverage), and if the landlord is proven liable, his insurance will pay the settlement. That's the theory, and why I suggested talking to a lawyer.

xxxapache likes this.
  7. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Perhaps posting a picture and description in local campgrounds? Drive a few local campgrounds on the weekend to see if there's a match?

8. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

All these living room lawyer's are hilarious.
    No storage lot is responsible for any loss.
    They just provide a space to store your vehicle.
    Went to storage lots all over Albuquerque with that question.

xxxapache and Fixitup like this.
  9. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

Sorry this happened. However, as the owner, it’s your responsibility to insure your property. If you had a vehicle that you chose not to insure get stolen would you expect someone else to cover it?
    I hope you find your PUP.

xxxapache and Fixitup like this.
  10. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Let's just inflict more pain on someone who has suffered a loss. I want to apologize to the OP on their behalf. I wish you well.

Sjm9911, PointyCamper and NMroamer like this.
  11. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I've often wondered if i could hide an old iphone and connect it to the 12V charger and when the thief plugs up his electricity I could "find my Friend". I know the phone would need a chip and service, but could there be a cheap phone that you could track some other way?

Orchid and PointyCamper like this.
  12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If you have a title, you have a VIN number. If you have a license plate on the trailer, the DMV will be able to tell you your plate #.

Overland and PointyCamper like this.
  13. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Exactly....The DMV can give you the VIN. After you get it, take it to the police. They will enter the VIN in NCIC. After that, if law enforcement runs the VIN on the trailer, it will show up as a hit as stolen in NCIC.

14. erich82

erich82 Active Member

I should elaborate. When saying "friendly lawsuit", I interpreted it as small claims court, which seems that the maximum amounts have recently increased (it used to be around 6500$ here).

Regardless, any judge worth his weight will ask why you didn't insure it, and reject the claim. Now had the camper been insured, and reasonable measures were taken to ensure it wasn't stolen, that would hold more merit. It's very hard to prove neglect on the landlord when the owner was neglectful actually insuring it.

OP will end up with lawyer fees plus no camper.

15. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Having adult conversations about someone's loss and providing opinions (without insults or degrading them) is hardly inflicting pain on someone. The only out of place comment so far has been yours.

JustRelax, JWeible and Fixitup like this.
  16. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Even cheaper, they sell small GPS chips the size of a coin that last about a week on batteries. Just hide it (they have adhesive ones) anywhere. You just have to remember to have it charged (maybe hard wire the charger and leave the popup plugged it when parked).

17. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

I know people that put Tile tracking devices on their bikes, I'm sure it would work just as well in a camper. They are good for about a year, the tracking works on bluetooth but networks with everybody who has the app on their phone.
    https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/

My daughter (11) and I use one when we are tent camping or when we go to amusement parks. She wears one on a chain, if we get separated she can hit the button and it chimes my phone or I can track it with the app.

18. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

No need to apologize for me. I just stated a fact. No intent to inflict pain.

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I think you misunderstood my comment. I understand that you have title and registration. However, there are states that don't require a title on trailers under a certain weight, like pop-ups. So, conceivably, a thief could take a stolen trailer to one of those states, with no title, and still have it registered in their own name, by changing the VIN number slightly. If the DMV worker doesn't go outside (trailers are required to be presented for inspection) and check the VIN on the actual trailer ... BOOM, the stolen trailer has a new owner in that state, complete with legal tags.

20. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Asking the storage lot is pretty stupid. That's like asking a restaurant if they're responsible if you slip and fall in front of the soda dispenser. Or those parking structure tickets that say they're not responsible for acts against your car, when in fact in many cases, they are. This is a legal situation called "bailment," and like I said multiple times now, the OP should consult a lawyer for a free consultation.

Don't be so sure. In a bailment situation, the bailor has a legal duty to protect your property. Say it was a car that was stolen instead of a popup. It might have PL/PD, but no full coverage, effectively "uninsured" for theft. In the case of negligence, the property owner could be responsible.

Yet again, the OP should consider a free consultation from a lawyer. And depending on the jurisdiction, if the case is good, the lawyer would actually work on contingency, because his reasonable fees would be recoverable as part of the loss.

I'm not saying "sue!"; I'm saying "consider suing," and frankly, it's irresponsible to to dissuade someone from explorer all of his or her options for recovery.

bols2Dawall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.