Stone Mountain State Park...anyone been there?

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by missnanc, May 12, 2012.

1. missnanc

missnanc Give me the fresh outdoors!

I've been looking into Stone Mtn. Park CG, for a weekend visit. Just wondering what its like. Has anyone been there recently? thanks

2. IVBENS

IVBENS New Member

I haven't camped there, but visited it on a trip to Atlanta. Nice museum, train ride around the mountain, tram to the top. The laser and music show is a bit of a battle cry for those who feel "The South will rise again", but entertaining.

3. missnanc

We spent a day there a couple of years back, but didn't think to check out the camp grounds. The park it self had changed ALOT since we had last been there with our boys. So much more entertainment had been added.

4. FW Arcadia

FW Arcadia Member

Have tent camped there several times, used to only live about 30 min from there. Haven't been there for a couple of years but CG was nice and facilities are nice. Good lake and some touristy things to do: train, paddle boat, rental boats village area with shops, etc. You can walk/climb to the top of the big rock. Would go again.

5. shaw988

shaw988 New Member

I live 5 miles from the park. Camped there last October. A couple of things to note. The campground is clean. Pop Ups are given side road sites to ensure the TT's and diesel pushers get the best slips. The site we were on was a side road and the Pop Up was next to the street ( Really, NEXT to the street). Traffic flew by and children all under 4 played in the street. My wife kept asking, "where are the parents?"
    Bottom line, I would rate it as fair and a last resort.

6. missnanc

Thanks for all that good information. I don't live a on a busy road, so I sure don't want to camp on one. :) I'll move that CG down the list of places I'd don't have to camp at any time soon.

7. Chuck2009

Chuck2009 Nights Camped this year so far: 16

I'd like to chime in here...We went to SMSP last Labor Day weekend for the first time and camped ini our PUP. We had site #54 which is THE BEST site I think for a Pop-up. The site is huge and the Big Boy rolling terds were behind us in their designated area (the Class A's). THe best part about this site is you can walk right behind the site and right to the bath house that is in the Class 'A' section. It's very nice and clean because they don't use them, they have their own in their Big Boy's...so it was great.

We liked the campground and the park so much that we bought year long passes. So, this past Labor Day weekend (last weekend 2012), we went back and we stayed in Loop 'K' at site number 267 (our favorite #54 was taken). This area is def. where the tent campers and pop-ups are. In fact, we were the only Pop-Up in this loop...but we represented well [:D]. The comment about the road with the traffic, there is the MAIN road and then there is the camp road that run parallel all the way down to this Loop and there are other Loop's along the way. But these two stretches of raod are divided by a good bit of trees, green area and a brick and iron fence. My kids road to the campstore all weekend and I felt like they were safe....hardly any cars came down this far unless you were staying down this way.

Anyway, this site was pretty good, it was right on the lake a little narrow but long. If I go back again and stay in this Loop I would get #257. The Pup's door would face the Lake, this would be a great view first thing in the morning while sitting and drinking coffee.

So for me...it's a great campground... I would highly recommend it.

8. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Are you asking about Stone Mountain SP in Traphill, NC or the tourist Stone Mountain Park in GA?

If you are talking about the one in NC, I can tell you quite a bit about it.

9. missnanc

I didn't realize there are two Stone Mountain parks. I was asking about the one in GA. But would love to hear about NC too.

10. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

I haven't been to the one in GA. Stone Mountain SP, NC is off of Hwy 21 N. Its less than 30 mins from Elkin heading towards Sparta.

90 sites in 3 loops. A loop is primarily tent sites, no hookups. A loop is sites 1-40. B loop has water and electric (15,30,50A). B loop sites are 41-80. C loop is the newest section. No hookups, but relatively flat so they are pup friendly. C loop sites are 81-90. The bathhouse across from site 80 is the newest one.

A loop has the most shade. B loop, with the exception of site 54, sites are pretty open, as are the C loop sites.

All sites are reservable online. $20/night without hookups, $25/night with.

There isn't a lake, but a short drive from the camp area brings you to Widow Creek Falls. This is still in the SP. The falls drop into a pool maybe 6' deep. Then the water flows over a rock face as a natural waterslide. The pool at the bottom here is 3' deep at most. This is a mountain stream so the water is always cold!

There is a hiking trail up to the granite rockface. Part of the trail is walking across the top of the granite. Theres another waterfall to hike to. Beware there's 300+ steps involved in that one!

This SP is one of our regular trips. But camping in the B loop in July had me researching Gizmos. Haven't bought them yet tho!

The bathhouse gets 2 thumbs up from DW!

11. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

Is there anything at Stone Mtn. that would be of interest to a couple of old people or is everything pretty much geared to families with kids?

12. Chuck2009

Chuck2009 Nights Camped this year so far: 16

For the older Folk....there are a couple of museums (one being the history of the carving of Stone Mountain) that are very interesteing and the Antibellam Plantation site that is very interesting. There is always the Duck Boat ride and the Sky Lift that takes you to the top also the Train Ride around the Mountain.

There are a couple of things inside the Activity portion of the park where the kids go, a few shops and good food places in there. So I guess it's a matter of how young at heart you are as to how much of it you want to enjoy... [:D]

13. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

We are going there for Thanksgiving this year. Never had been there before but we have heard good things about it.

14. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Hope you have a great time at Stone Mountain.

15. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

We spent our Thanksgiving at Stone Mountain, GA. The campground is very clean and has great views of the mountain. I managed to procure a premium spot in the middle of all the Glampers. [LOL] I was on a high spot overlooking a the lake. This was our view every morning. [​IMG]

There was plenty to do there and in the surrounding areas. Their Christmas displays and snow tubing were done right. There is a golf course for those who love to smack a small white ball around. Hiking trials and plenty of paths and roads for a decent bike ride as well. You will have to check out the German restaurant in the historic town of Stone Mountain as well. Great food.

16. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

SSWWEEEEEETT!!! This would be site number???? [:D]

17. chrismarques

chrismarques New Member

We'll be staying there for the first time in a few weeks. Called today and have a lakefront pup site. Don't know a site # yet but will let all know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

Our site number was 343. It was a full hook up site and not in the pop-up area. Had to pay a bit more for it but. Sites 339, 340 & 341 were also very nice as well. Just a bit lower in elevation. I did not have a gray water tank with me so I needed the sewer hook up. Anyone who is going there, you can pretty much give up on the free wi-fi there. There are 9 repeaters there, all running through a single DSL connection. [LOL]
    http://www.stonemountainpark.com/activities/map/campground.aspx

19. chrismarques

chrismarques New Member

Got my email confirmation and I have site 65 in the pop up area. It's supposed to be a lakefront site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. campn family

campn family New Member

We just booked a trip to Stone Mountain...wish us luck, the reviews of this cg have been very mixed. I spoke to someone who said we have a lake view and the site is flat enough for my popup so I am really hoping that it will be a fun trip. Right now they have snow mountain attractions so we Floridains are looking forward to seeing some snow (well the kids are anyway). I will be sure to add some our experiences to the website. Happy New Year! [REDC] [REDC] CHEERS!!