Stone Mountain State Park...anyone been there?

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by missnanc, May 12, 2012.

1. chrismarques

chrismarques New Member

We had a great time 2 weeks ago. Wierd snow tubing then going back to the pup. We had a nice lakefront site. Pretty level but a little narrow for a slideout. Probably could have moved around a little for a better setup but I was there after dark. I think most of the lakefront sites are pull through which made things nice. Only used a restroom once and it was spotless ( we have a shower and potty in the pup now). They were bringing Santa around the cg which was nice. We'll be going back again in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. missnanc

missnanc Give me the fresh outdoors!

So far, the reviews have been pretty good, can't wait to hear the review from campnfamily. I'm taking notes of the best campsites. It maybe spring before we get there, but I'll be ready!

3. cfmx

cfmx New Member

I was wondering if you could camp there in the winter. When I looked online it said to call for tent and tent trailer reservation.
    My husband and I would love to go next year. Our girls would have a blast seeing snow.

4. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

When we were there over Thanksgiving, the tent and PUP area was empty. I would think it would be close to the same over the winter. The full hookup area was completely full though.

5. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

I just returned from Stone Mt on Tuesday. We were in lot 332. We spent most of the time at the Theme Park. Kids had a blast at the Snow Mt tube slide. We hiked the Mt and took the cable car ride to the top. Plenty to do. The camping had good scenary, but camping spots are close together. If I lived closer, I would go back. 6 hr drive.

6. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I could swear that I'd already replied to this, but don't see my post. We've camped there and slated it as "would like to go back". There's plenty to do; so much in fact, that we'd like to make a second trip to finish it all. Yes, the campsites are close together, but it wasn't a problem when we were there in August as half of them were vacant. We camped in 259 and I would recommend it. It's kind of separated from the others by some elevation as well as distance. There are other sites that have some "back yard" area where you can pitch your tent or EZ up and you can be somewhat removed from the crowd. Those sites are in the area around 190-199, and 231-235.

And I agree with the post above; the bathrooms were spotless. We never used our own toilet or shower. The campground is far enough away that they run shuttles to the main attractions; that was nice. We walked as far as the shuttle point in the campground and rode the rest of the way. Great park and one we look forward to visiting again.

7. Nannerlily

Nannerlily New Member

Looking for level lot with water/electric and a lake view. Heard this park has some very unlevel lots. Any site #'s or suggestions? We are going early April for Spring Break.

8. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

If you are ok with full hookups, we had 343. It was a great spot. I am not too sure about the PUP and tent side though. 343, 341, 339, 337 all are good

9. Dweeb

Dweeb Member

We camped there last December (site 21). A large section of the CG was closed but I think those sites where mainly for PUP's and tent'rs. We too spent a lot of time at the park and not much in the CG. In fact we didn't make a fire the three nights we were there. We will go back again. The bathhouses were clean, staff friendly, and of course the Park is beautiful.

10. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

I camped there as a kid, maybe 8 years old, so that would be around summer of 1981. I remember dad had a heck of a time getting the Satrcraft TT level in the site. Me and my brother rode bikes all around the time we were there. He has been back since with his family in their rig, i would like to take my daughter when we get our pup in the next year or so.

Reading these stories and seeing pictures bring back some great memories. Put it this way, last time i was there, there was no laser show! And gas was about $1.38... maybe a little cheaper, but our Suburban burned regular fuel in the big block..

11. thevmctigger

thevmctigger New Member

Heading to Stone Mountain the weekend of April 25 and 26... Looking forward to it.. :)

12. Troutman3000

Troutman3000 New Member

How was your trip?

13. BillBlackett

BillBlackett Member

Just drove back 4 hours to Charlotte after a 3 night stay over Memorial Day Weekend 2015. Here's my take:

Pros:

- There's so much to do! Wife and two kids (6 & 7) absolutely LOVED it!
    - Very nice, clean park - Great swimming Pool.
    - Shuttle bus was very convenient to get around the park when it's busy (Laser show).
    - Campground store had most everything you needed, and there are plenty of stores right outside the park if it doesn't.
    - Camp sites on Trail H were wooded fairly well separated.

Cons:

- There's so much to do, we barely had time to camp - only had a campfire 1 night.
    - With the exception of the main loop around the swimming pool, trails are pretty steep with many sites right next to the road.
    - There's no pedestrians paths, and with the the roads being so steep, everyone drives everywhere - so lots of traffic.

Conclusion:

Personally, I like a more "Wilderness" experience, but my kids caught a Fire Skink by the tail the first night, and saw plenty of water fowl, which was the highlight for them.

If I lived within an hour of this place, it would be an annual tradition - All of the activities in the park really are a lot of fun.

If you live within 6 hours of drive of Stone Mountain and consider yourself to be an avid camper, then this is a "MUST VISIT" at least once - whether you have kids or not.

Final Note: Good Job Georgia State Parks!

14. oldstick

oldstick New Member

One tidbit, Stone Mountain is not one of the GA State Parks, I think the property might be owned by the county but it's operated by the same amusement company that does Dollywood in TN plus several other places. Dolly Parton being a part owner in the company.

15. Troutman3000

Troutman3000 New Member

from Wikipedia

Governance
    Stone Mountain Park, which surrounds the Confederate Memorial, is owned by the state of Georgia and managed by the Stone Mountain Memorial Association, a Georgia state authority. The Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation currently has a long-term contract to operate park attractions while the Stone Mountain Memorial Association retains ownership and the right to reject any project deemed unfit.

16. bikernpaddler

bikernpaddler New Member

The campground is really nice in the areas for the tents and popups, and in the colder months you will almost have them to yourself, plus those sites are HUGE and most are right on the lake shore. All of the big rigs are stuffed together like sardines in a can and far enough away that you're not listening to their generators run all night. [:D] We had a pull through site which was a bit narrow for our slide-out but not too much so. Beautiful view of the mountain reflected in the lake when we woke up and walked out the door. As others have mentioned, bath house was spotless, and nice and warm, too. We brought our canoe and launched from the site and spent 4 hours paddling around the lake, which is quite lovely, and totally free. You can fish in it, too, if you like. Many people do. There is a beautiful nature trail that loops 6 miles all around the mountain, and also good road bike riding mostly sheltered from regular traffic -- very popular with local cycling community. We live 10 miles away and still come here for a quick get-away; it's worth it!

17. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

I can't say much about the campground but SMP is awesome. We live 5 minutes from the park and visit frequently. Funny enough I have almost never done any attractions. I believe Snow Mountain is the only one I have ever been to. However, There is lot's to do.

Bring your bike and do a few laps around the park. Mountain biking is not allowed but 10 minutes from the park are decent trails. You could actually ride from the park to the trails but you would have to know the route (message me if interested). If you are into road biking there are several group rides in the area.

Other things to do are, fly a kite on top of the mountain, hike, go fishing, golf and on and on. It's a real gem for the area and a big reason we bought a house in the area.

18. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

We are Mountain Members in most years but we have never camped there. Drove by the campsites last Saturday and decided we are going to make a point to stay there this summer or fall. Some of the sites are really spectacular.

We only live 30 minutes away so it is an easy trip even for a short weekend. Does anyone know if the park shuttle runs to the campground? I would like to be able to park the car and not move it.

19. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Yes, the park shuttle runs to the campground, but only to the check-in station. You have to walk or drive to the check-in. It would be cool if the DUKW's docked at the campground and worked as a shuttle too; I'd actually use that if the cost was reasonable. :)

20. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

That looks like a great place to try out some year. I will need to add this on my bucket list. Which keeps on growing more than I can cross things off. [;)] Enjoy your time. [CP]