Storage at home???

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by ricksadventures, May 29, 2018.

1. ricksadventures

ricksadventures New Member

Hey all,

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing our first home. The house we are purchasing has room to make it our own as far as the yard goes. I have been researching a bunch of different options for covering our pop up.

There are steel and aluminum home build kits (though fair I think there are cheaper options) that require little maintenance and are easy to install.

There are the cheap tarp kits that may work in some areas, but where I live we average 20-30 mph winds during the summer and can get a couple feet of snow in the winters.

I am fairly capable and considering the idea of building a carport/shed combination to fit my needs exactly the way I want them. Before embarking on the project I wanted to reach out to the community and see what you have all done for storing at home, general prices, and whats worked or not worked.

Hope all is well!

Rick and Brittney

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just throwing this out there that as long as your camper is well maintained with no leaks it can stay outside uncovered. Sadly keeping the camper at home is not an option for me and could only afford outdoor offsite storage. During the spring/summer, I don't bother covering the popup. During the winter I cover the camper with a tarp leaving air gaps and If we get bad winter, I may have to try and clear the snow off, especially if it heavy wet snow. Now if I was able and could afford it, I would buy a carport for the camper. You could also make a lean-to out of wood. A tarp shelter I don't think would be very good in your situation. Something a little more robust with a steep enough roof for snow slide off would probably be more ideal.

generok likes this.
  3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would leave it in the yard all year if I did not have to pile snow where I have to park it.

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I left mine uncovered in the side yard all year long in Anchorage, Alaska. I brushed the snow off after a few inches fell. Never had a problem.

5. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Let me ask you this question; would you prefer to buy a PUP that was stored under roof or one that sat out in the weather all it's life? I bought a 14 year old Starcraft that was stored inside all it's life and is in near perfect condition. Protect your investment and build a carport cover over it. When you go to re-sell you'll have bragging rights as to it's pristine condition. I'm building a shop and mine will go back indoors. Meanwhile I covered to keep it clean and dry.

Attached Files:

Toolmaker13 likes this.
  6. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

We use a tarp garage for ours, and it works fine even in strong winds. It's important to anchor the tarps well to reduce flapping. DH added a pvc pipe framework under the roof and over the metal framework to tighten the roof to reduce rain puddling (a sort of Quonset hut set up). We brush snow off every few inches and some winters, that's more than once per day.

We think this is a temporary set up until we can build a garage/workshop in the backyard. The city is thinking about putting a sewer line into our neighborhood, so we are waiting to see where that will go first. Of course, we were annexed into the city 20 years ago, so we could be dead and gone before the sewer line is actually completed.

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Mine has and has always sat outside . If I was going to do anything I would get a pole barn kit and put it up myself that would leave room for the tractor giving me more room in the shop.. They are more expensive than the all metal ones, my son has two of the metal ones after pouring a concrete slab he enclosed them and uses one side for cleaning gators , deer, goats etc.
    He uses the other side as a workshop, they work good for him, I think he paid about $750. each installed he also sat his on concrete blocks which made the sides higher.

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

The Pup rotates from the Pup port, to the driveway, and into the shop (the building that the Pup port is attached to), depending on season. It goes inside during the winter, but during the summer it moves around outside. I did all the labour on this shelter, so I'm not sure what one would cost if you paid to have it done. I would guess it was around $650-$750 in materials, I can't remember for sure, but it was around there. The center section of the low side fence easily removes if you want to have better access to the pup. Can't quite open the roof up all the way when it's in there. 10 feet wide x 22 feet deep.

DSC06986_zps45e56d72.jpg DSC06985_zps617beb6b.jpg DSC06984_zpsc03b4afa.jpg DSC06983_zps52c3bcbc.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    NothingsChocking and JPBar like this.
  9. ricksadventures

Thank you all, I really appreciate it. I will draw up my thoughts and post those when I can. The metal buildings or a home built stand alone port are my best options. The lot the house sits on is fairly long and narrow so I plan to place it in the back corner with a gravel driveway that goes straight from the road, along side the house, and down the fence line to the back. This will also help with off street parking for our POV's year round.

I love the ideas everyone is throwing out!

10. ricksadventures

Really nice work on the attached carport!

11. Wrenchgear

Thanks. Being behind the shop like that, it's an outta sight, outta mind kind of thing. Theres a boat in there right now, but when it hits the water, the Pup will move out of winter storage and into the Pup port area. Actually, the Pup might come up to the front driveway before that to get ready for camping.
    The kids would like for that area under there to stay empty for the summer. They always want to use it like a Tiki bar for when friends come over for summer night campfires. Just have to come up with a good Tiki Bar name.

12. Dan from Troup

Wrenchgear, that's a nice garage/carport for your camper. I've been doodling on my scratch pad several designs as I need a carport cover coming off a shop that will IMG_20171021_105616672.jpg cover a farm tractor, construction trailer and the PUP. My eventual goal is to store the camper in the shop however may start out with a cover first and build in stages according to finances. Did a mini version of this last year as I built a garden shed with extended roof for the riding mower.

13. Wrenchgear

Hey Dan, Thanks. Thats a good looking cover for the rider too. Make one a little bit bigger and the Pup will fit in. Good job.

I use ours for boat storage in the winter. It costs about $450 per season to store the boat elsewhere, so in 2 winters I had the port paid for. I hang a heavy vinyl tarp all the way around it like curtains to keep the snow out in winter.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  14. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Always kept ours in the six car garage.

15. Dan from Troup

Thanks, had fun building it with local pine from a nearby saw mill. Love the board and batten look on the shed. May do same on shop as it's cheaper than metal siding and cooler in summer. Will do metal roofing as that's cheaper than decking and installing composition shingles.

16. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

:eek:I am more interested in that grass, wow -- how nice! I would freak rolling a camper and tow vehicle all over it.

17. davido

davido Active Member

I would purchase a breathable RV cover with tie-down cords, park it on the property, cover it, put a breathable cover over each of the wheels, and call it good. That's very much adequate protection, and will cost $100 to $180 for the cover, wheel covers, and a few shock cords to make tieing the cover down easier.

18. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

A metal car cover sounds like a great option. We live in a dry climate so we chose a ADCO cover and a tarp structure. The tarp structure only cost us about $150 and is movable. No snow here but it does get windy.

19. ricksadventures

The wind I feel I can manage pretty well, the snow / freezing rain we typically get is a little more of my concern. Figure a decent carport may add some value to the house as well.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  20. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I park my popup beside the house and cover it with an Elements All Climate RV Cover from Camping World. It seems to keep it dry, even in the snow here in Colorado.

Jeff Donelson likes this.