Storage at home???

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by ricksadventures, May 29, 2018.

1. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Ours is parked in our driveway and covered with a tarp. I do add 2 x 4's under the tarp for air movement.

2. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I don't have space at my home to park it so pay for outdoor storage. It's parked on a slope so any snow over a couple inches mostly slides off naturally. I've never covered it...

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Built a level pad in the back yard and bought an enclosed carport. So camper is dry year

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Covers work well as I've been using them for years for my bikes and they stay dry and clean. They just don't last forever but they're cheap. We live in a pine forest as sap is sometimes an issue as well as large pine branches that can puncture the roof. One speared my new Duramax and totaled it a few years back. So, my goal is to build a metal roof cover/shop combo that can protect my tractor and trailers.

5. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan and smart investment.

6. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Ours will be in the garage as soon as my hubby and oldest clean out the garage. It is currently in off site storage.

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I got 12" X 12" concrete pavers and set them up by my shop, I also have sewer, water and electric. My unit sits outside hooked up 24 7 if I put it in my 30 X 40 shop I would not have the room to work in there. I do have the 31' MH sitting outside with a cover on it.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our campers have always had to live outside. We don't even have enough space to park both vehicles in the driveway with the camper these days. (With the first pup and Outback, we could just squeeze them in on the same side of the driveway.)
    We used a cover in the winter for the second pup, at least until the mice got into the cover and nested while it was off the camper and stored in the garage. Too much trouble to put a cover on and off between trips. No space for a carport either.
    The covers are good for protection from UV, and when we had pine trees next to the driveway, from the sap, pollen, and bird droppings.
    Because we don't have a permanent shelter, and only use the cover part of the year, we've been careful with pup and TT to keep it cleaned and treated. I did that myself for the pup, but can't anymore, so we have the TT detailed & the roof cleaned and treated 2-3 times a year. We have no plans to sell, but we do want to keep it in good shape to use it for years.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

If I were going to put something up, I would do something that would allow me to open the pup while under the cover. If you can't do that, then a simple cover would be just as effective and a lot cheaper.

10. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Check the local building codes and ordinances before building or installing anything. They will vary from place to place.
    My PUP has to stay outdoors year round. No snow. But I tarp it most of the summer, due to rain and wind that go sideways, circular, up and down, you name it. In fact double-tarping, first layer a waterproof Medium duty tarp then on top one of those breathable Adco ones seems to work best. And slim concrete blocks on top plus bungees to hold it all on and down. Seriously.

11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

It's hard to beat the metal carports that you can have installed for well under $1000 US for a single. The crew comes in and in short order they are gone and you have a carport.

12. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Many of those carports (aluminum, etc.)O will not tolerate substantial snow loads. Wind can also be an issue especially with a flat roof. Check your local building codes and even with your homeowners insurance agent.

13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

They also come with vertical ribs that work better for snow.