Storage Cover and Seating Mod

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Tarkus, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

Thanks to the Coleman design wisdom, I'm now modifying my seat cushions & storage covers.
    Coleman installed the storage covers inside the seat cushions. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I have decided it was not.

For one, it makes the cushions somewhat heavy to move around. To lift the cushions around to get access to the storage areas, builds extra arm muscles and adds wear and tear to the cushions. There is like super heavy plywood in there and every time they get bumped around, threads and cloth material gets ripped apart, though at a somewhat slow rate.

If the cushions were just the foam and cloth, they become easier to move around, clean, and store without the added weight.

If the plywood was bolted down with piano hinges to the storage boxes, well then, you just lift the lid without the cushions.

With the wood removed from the cushions, I can also use the cushions as pillows in the bedding area or as extra padding to sleep on. A win for me, the camper, and less wear and tear on my arms. Sounds good to me. Let's get started.

Here is the current situation. Wood has been removed from the cushions and laid in place. Some trimming will need to be done, but that is what power saws are for.

seating_IMG_20210807_142609754.jpg

The back rests are somewhat wimpy, so I will need to beef up the hinge and supplied back rest plate (hidden by the plywood).

Thoughts on this before getting started?

Westcoast likes this.
  2. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like a good plan. I always thought the "back rests" in the booth dinette were ridiculously flimsy.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I would like to see your finished product for the back rests for the bench seats. They are crazy flimsy and my mom ended up over extending one by leaning back once. I never bothered fixing it myself as the table spends more time in bed mode then table. However it would be nice to have a more usable bench seat.

Jwwiff and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

Moving along again...

Seat mod. White arrow shows where wood was trimmed away to allow canvas brace to lie flat when seat back folded down.
    Black arrows show where I removed wood screws (cause the wood was stripped out) and replaced with bolts and lock nuts. The wood is now screwed to the metal hinged back plate (under the wood) and can now swing upwards. The butt board stows on top of this backer board when pup is in storage.

seat mod.jpg

The next step is to build a fold away back support so you can lean back without worry. I been playing with some ideas. The goal is to make setup and tear down as easy as possible. With the wood now separated from the cushions, its easier to move them around without damage.

SheaLoner likes this.