Storage options for portable waste tanks??

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by skeetercampsintexas, Jun 3, 2013.

1. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

So we have a 27 gallon portable thetford waste tank. Its big, its bulky and takes up a lot of space. Possibly looking at making an outside rack of some kind to store on maybe the spare tire. Has anyne done anything like this before? Pics possibly? Looking for ideas to get this thing off of my floor!

2. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Mine mostly takes up room in the garage. Use smaller 5 or 6 gallon tanks from Wally World. Much easier to transport and empty. time to have a garage sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. chrismarques

chrismarques New Member

I took the big plastic handle off and it slides right under the dinette table when folded down. Don't really like it inside the pup but it fits perfect.

4. skeetercampsintexas

I dont mind having it inside the pup aside from the fact that it takes up so much space. The smaller tanks arent an option as our pup has a 12 gal black and 12 gal black on board tank. Trouble is as we all know that with a wife and a 4 year old taking showers 12 gal of grey doesnt take long to top off the tank lol. Looking at possibly a frame that will attach to the spare tire. Then itll be out of the way even while setting up. Im still open to ideas but will update if I happen to find time to come up with something.

5. chrismarques

chrismarques New Member

Yeah this weekend DW decided to take a long shower about 27 gallons worth :)At my turn, I was ankle deep and covered with soap before I realized our tank was full! I had only the stored inside option because my Jeep Liberty was so small. I thought about a stand up type of rack near the spare or something but found it would sit right inside. Also I didn't like the idea of the tank being visible outside (gotta look good). Now with a big truck again I can throw it in the bed and open up all that storage space in the trailer if I want.

6. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

How about modifying a tire mount bike rack!! [2C]

7. skeetercampsintexas

The tire mount bike rack mod is similar to what I had in mind as far as location is concerned.. HOWEVER, that being said thats a wonderdul idea to modify a bike rack! I should just start making everyone hose off nakey with the outside shower and call it good! [:D]

8. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I have a 25 gallon that I use for the water hawgs of my family when we are at state parks. I carry it on my thule rack. You could strap it the propane tanks if so inclined.

9. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I am looking to do this myself, since I am going to purchase the Barker 15 gallon low profile tank. I personally don't want the thing any where near the inside of my camper, so I am opting for the rear bumper. My plan is to use a bumper mount receiver and point it up and then insert 2" square tubing to pin the tank between the trailer and the tube, which also gives me something to strap the tank to.

10. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I ran into ths thread on PUX some time ago. This is a mod I pan on in the future after a few others. It will take some customizing but the concept is the same. I will have to come up with some sort of lift system in the event the portable tank is full. But it should give some ideas if you are a fabricator.

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=91083.msg306771#msg306771

Only problem I see with this is having to get down under the pup to finagle the tank and secure it all up. I'm thinking of a linkage lever latch system of some sort.

11. battr23

battr23 New Member

I only have a 15 gallon, but it goes on the roof. I put a rack on a few years ago and its great for the tank, coolers, firewood, misc dirty camping gear and bikes. I got sick of keeping the dirty stuff inside. This isn't the cheapest option of course but It works great.
    [​IMG]