Storage under portable carport

jm88

Feb 12, 2017
I used to be able to store the popup in the garage all the time but need my car and truck in there now. Before a trip, I put it in the garage for a few days so I can open it and load it, etc. Rather than cover it and uncover it with a tarp each time I use it, I was thinking of just getting one of these Portable Canopies from Harbor Freight. A good tarp is almost $40-$50 and this thing is on sale now for only $110. Maybe I can just keep it under there now to open and close it to load it and stuff between trips so I don't have to move it in the garage. This will go next to my garage so one side will be protected from the elements. Maybe in the winter, I can hang a tarp from the other side and back to keep junk from blowing in. What do you think?

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
That is a temporary use structure. It's not meant to be permanent and subjected to the weather being permanent brings. One good windstorm and it's gone.

jm88

Feb 12, 2017
That is a temporary use structure. It's not meant to be permanent and subjected to the weather being permanent brings. One good windstorm and it's gone.
I understand that it is not as good as a garage or solid carport, but I mean as opposed to just leaving the camper in the open or with a tarp over it. I use tarps to cover a boat before and know it is not going to last forever and have to replace it every couple years.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I understand that it is not as good as a garage or solid carport, but I mean as opposed to just leaving the camper in the open or with a tarp over it. I use tarps to cover a boat before and know it is not going to last forever and have to replace it every couple years.
Anything is better than nothing however wind will take that thing flying if you don't anchor it sufficiently enough. If wind does it could cause serious damage to the camper. Think of those camping canopies out there and how often you see those failing during storms. This is exactly like those just bigger. If the upper canopy can come off perhaps it could last longer. If you keep it in a more protected area it would be less problematic in the wind.

jm88

Feb 12, 2017
Anything is better than nothing however wind will take that thing flying if you don't anchor it sufficiently enough. If wind does it could cause serious damage to the camper. Think of those camping canopies out there and how often you see those failing during storms. This is exactly like those just bigger. If the upper canopy can come off perhaps it could last longer. If you keep it in a more protected area it would be less problematic in the wind.
Of course I would anchor it. It is good you guys mention that though because I am sure there are some people that wouldn't bother. I plan to put a cinder block on all 6 legs and anchor it to them. Then I will tie guy wires down on the exposed side. It isn't going anywhere! My neighbor has one of these (but with 2 enclosed sides) that has been there for at least 5 years that he parks his truck under and it is still standing. I guess I am just trying to find the easiest and best solution to keep it covered outside so it is not getting beat down with rain or sun. I thought of just attaching a part to the side of the house and draping it over the camper, but by the time I get some materials to brace and prop it up, this thing is probably cheaper and better.

Last edited:

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
Is a metal carport not an option?

I bought a metal two car 21 years ago. It has 3 foot anchors sunk in the pavement. It has stood through plenty of windstorms including a derecho. I live in snow country. It's had up to 24 inches on it.

jm88

Feb 12, 2017
Is a metal carport not an option?

I bought a metal two car 21 years ago. It has 3 foot anchors sunk in the pavement. It has stood through plenty of windstorms including a derecho. I live in snow country. It's had up to 24 inches on it.
Well, the thing is, I don't know how much longer we are going to have this camper. If we were going to keep this forever and never upgrade, I would have built a wood structure to keep it under. However, I think we will be upgrading to a regular trailer sometime in the next few years and then I will have to have a slab poured and have the area widened so I can't have anything permanent there now. So I guess this really is a somewhat temporary solution, with temporary meaning a couple years or so.

Zephyr

Jun 18, 2013
central Oregon
We've used a tarp carport from Costco for 11 years now. The tarp roof has been replaced a couple of times and the sides have been replaced once. Yes, we get snow and wind...lots of both sometimes.

It's important to anchor the carport frame well and to attach the tarps so they don't blow around in the wind. We have added extra gromets to lash the sides down to ground anchors.

If you get more than a couple inches of snow, go inside the carport and sweep the roof from the underside to encourage the snow to slide off. It's actually rather fun to create little avalanches!

The city has finally installed sewer in our neighborhood, so we have decommissioned our drain field. That will be the future site of a garage for the pup once building material prices are less insane. In the meantime, the tarp carport works fine and the price is nice.