Storage water wicked out onto floor

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by Kristiecowans, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

[?] [MOD] Question, I filled my water tank before I left for dry camping w/no hook-ups-and dough-the water wicked out of the faucet and all over the floor while I was towing my pup to my campsite!?! On the bad side, some of my newly reupholstered couch cushions got stained, on the bright side they got stained by me so the kids are off the hook to get any grief for sitting wet sandy lake/river/beach bottoms down on mom's newly upholstered couches...so I'm thinking there has got to be a way to filler' up with water w/o having this happen, maybe there is a check valve I can plumb into the water hose like on a fish tank? Even those leak a little, maybe just a ball valve? What dose everyone else do to prevent this? Thanks!

2. sdn40

sdn40 Member

Good news is this didn't happen during a time when the pup was put away for a period of time.
    This is exactly why I removed the sink and tank. For some reason Murphy's Law is always in effect when talking water and pups.
    An Aquatainer set up on a picnic table with any size plastic storage bin your heart desires as a sink works just fine for me.
    The added counter space is also a huge bonus

3. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

[:O] OMG! You are soooo right-this could have been 100xs worse if I had not caught it and put it in storage~! Thank you for giving me something more to be thankful for! Thinking out loud to type this post helped me think through to the solution, I think that a ball valve will work just fine. My pup is new to me and I love being able to use all the features it offers, but you're right-a 5gal. jug of water and a wash tub would work just fine to get the job done [;)]

4. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

So sorry this happened. I'm not sure why this happened but there is definitely a fix, as my faucet doesn't leak while I transport water. Was your water pump turned off?

5. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

I don't have a water pump, it's all manual pumping by hand.

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

My 12v water pump is connected to the galley switch so that it can't run if the galley is flipped over for storage or towing. That might be worth looking into for your situation.

If you don't need 12v power in the pup while towing, you could also connect a master battery switch and connect that to your battery box so that you can shut off all power to the camper (except for the brakes, if so equipped) for towing or storage. It's really the best way to prevent parasitic drain and to isolate the battery for maintenance anyway. Search "battery master switch" on Google to find a switch that'll fit your budget and meet your needs. Check eBay as well, you can find some really inexpensive options there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, it's best not to travel with a full water tank if you can avoid it. Better to fill a couple of water containers (Aquatainer or Hydroller) then just fill the tank at the CS. It's easier and less messy to transfer the water from your container to the onboard tank if you have a water transfer pump. Use the forum search link to find threads relating to "water transfer pump" for some simple solutions.

7. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

Thanks for the information!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk