Storing blankets in my camper ?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Rhconcepts, May 4, 2020.

1. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

So I sold my old camper a few years back and I always brought the blankets inside after camping. Now with my new camper, I want to leave a new set I just bought in the camper.

So the question is will the blankets smell funny after a week or two in the camper?
    Should I use a vacuum bag to store them in and if so what's a good brand?
    Or should I just store them in the winter?

I also saw waterproof mattress covers at Walmart. They might be good to cover the mattress and blanks when closing the camper up in the rain. Any thoughts on that?

Nice to be back on the portal

EmilyW likes this.
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

We always stored our bedding in the popup. We used zippered bags that blankets and sheets come in to store linens and towels. Never had any funny smells.

Out TT stays stocked with towels, blankets, and sheets year round. Never had a problem.

Rhconcepts likes this.
  3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Same here....I keep the beds made after coming home and washing them. Sometimes if I dont want to raise it back up and make the beds, I'll use a vaccum bag. Mainly just to compress them and make a smaller footprint

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We also use storage bags.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I also store my blankets in the camper. I kept them in a space saver bag although the air was always back by the time I’ve pulled them out again. The blankets never smelled funny. even Had a leak at the water pump right beside the bench seat I kept the blankets in. Water seeped in the storage but because the blankets were kept in sealed plastic bags the blankets were fine. As far as waterproof mattresses protectors I use them all the time. Now because the beds are not the same size as the protector my corners are not really covered, but the main part is. Came in real handy when I had to close up or set up in the rain.

6. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We never kept blankets in the pop up, but we kept sweatshirts in there for the chilly mornings. They always had a faint smell of campfire.

7. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

This.
    Only we use totes for stuff, and don't need to cover the mattresses.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I only took mine out for the winter. Figured why invite the mice in.

neighbormike and friartuck like this.
  9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I store all my bedding in the pup. On mine there is not enough room to keep the beds made since I added the mattress topper. I have a 2 drawer plastic shelf thingy that fits perfectly between the dinette and the bunk in travel mode. Sheets are stored in it. The comforters are folded up and stored in the plastic bags that some other comforters came in. I tried the space saver vacuum bags, and they worked great but would only last a trip or two before springing a leak. They get stored in in the under bench storage, and would either get a hole rubbed in them from road vibrations, or a splinter from the framing. I eventually gave up on those and instead use some straps to help compress the mattress bag. Never noticed any weird smells, although I do wash at the beginning of the season and the end.

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

We kept blankets in the PUP, but our roof was tight, so we could never keep bedding on the bunkends. What we did was use Ziploc Flexible Totes: https://ziploc.com/en/Products/Closet-Storage/Flexible-Totes/Flexible-Tote-Jumbo

These don't compress, they just provide a storage space. We also had a minor problem that when we towed in the rain, we'd get a little spray up inside and the floor would get damp, or dusty if it was dry. So, the totes kept the stuff dry and dust free. The are NOT whatertight though. They have a mesh area that allows things to breathe, but if the floor is wet, you can keep things in there dry. We liked them because when empty, we could crush them and put them under the bench seats easily. Even then, never had an issue with odors, mildew or dampness.

11. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

So after reading all this and having a hard time closing the top if the canvas is not just right. Im going to store them in space saver bags inside the camper. I think space saver bags is worth a try but Ill use them to keep the blankets dry and fresh. And Im not going to suck all the air out of the bags, just enough to save a bit of space.
    Thanks everyone

WVhillbilly likes this.