Storing Coleman PUP outside with 400 inches of snow

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Keith Kranker, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Rob Roy

Rob Roy New Member

I don't live in an area with that much snow (not that 400 inches falls at once or survives the whole winter without some melting in the high-altitude sun). But I store a boat outside using a heavy duty poly tarp and creating a frame with a ridge beam that creates a steep pitch over the boat. A 4x4 at the front and back of the pup with a substantial (2x6) ridge beam would do. I use rope to stabilize the ridge beam. I tie the rope to the perimeter of the boat, which you could do on the pup. This will create a steep pitched frame, over which you put the tarp. Fasten the tarp very tightly around the sides of the pup. This will prevent snow from accumulating that much before sliding off. Worst case is that I hit the tarp a few times to encourage the snow to slide off after a heavy snow. Make sure that the tarp you consider is wide enough to create a steep pitch, and use the grommets to tie the tarp tightly to avoid any sag on the sides. You will be fine. :)

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

What if you build an A-Frame structure over it? It will have steep roof?

3. aakatiezz

aakatiezz New Member

I bought a cover for my 1998 starcraft like 10 yrs ago when it was new to me from camping world for around $150. I lived in the Black Hills near Rapid City, SD but just at 3,300 ft elev. and initially kept it parked it in the gravel driveway. Even though it came with securing straps the wind alone caused tears and it never made it through the one season. I moved it in the garage and keep the truck outside. It really was worth it as far as it lasting and still being in good condition.

4. Tom Rigsby

Tom Rigsby New Member

In addition to the snow load issue, you might possibly have to deal with intrusion of small critters who want to nest in your camper.

5. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I store my pup outside in MN winters. That's only 36-70 inches per year on the average. But, I shovel it off. I shovel my sheds, I shovel my snowmobile trailer, I keep the Jeep Tops free from snow weight. You gotta get outside and do some stuff over winter, might as well do that stuff!

6. Chuck Berginc

Chuck Berginc New Member

I just moved to the Front Range of the Rockies and the home is at 8500". I have a Fleetwood Niagara, and was concerned about the same thing. I have asked several neighbors about leaving the PUP outside with all the snow we get. Most just leave it and don't worry about it until spring. I did that last winter because I was gone all winter, and had no problems, but I don't think it is a good idea.

With the snow load and wind here any tarp on any kind of frame I thing would be a mistake. I have chosen to get a carport installed, that will be firmly attached to the ground and has the proper snow load for your area as per your county. For me the snow load required is 80 psi roof snow load / 100 ground snow load.

It is not cheap, I am pretty sure the one someone suggested from Harbor Freight would disappear in a good storm, so I guess it depends how much you love your PUP. A sturdy carport is less than a year of storage in Colorado....

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  7. Kerry L. Calkins

Kerry L. Calkins Member

Build an A frame storage shed to keep it in on the gravel lot. This will keep the snow load off and your normal cover will suffice. Be sure to winterize all plumbing, etc.

Chuck Berginc likes this.
  8. southern gal

southern gal Member

Well, you would think I wouldn’t know anything about this since I’m in South Georgia. However, the January right after I’d bought my 2003 camper, we had snow like we hadn’t seen in 30 years. I hadn’t bought a cover for my camper yet. It was stored outside. First we had freezing rain and then snow. A lot of snow. You know we get excited about flurries down here but this was actually a few inches of that beautiful white stuff. Unfortunately after it had passed and I could open my camper back up I found that it had done a good bit of damage. It actually bent the support bar enough that it tore away from one side of the roof and I had some water intrusion. Several hundred dollars to get everything fixed. Lesson learned. I bought a cover and covered it as soon as it was back from the repair shop. If it even appears like it will snow again, I will find a covered shelter. Expensive lesson learned.

9. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I would check with the local zoning/permit office at the new location to see what the requirements are. This time of year you may have a devil of a time just digging holes for the post.You may have to rent storage for this first year...then build in the spring. Maybe even rent a cheaper place at your current location. Be sure you have renters insurance if you store it commercially. Good luck. Try to stay warm.

10. mhailey

mhailey New Member

If you don't want to push the snow off each day, you could get roof deicing cable and run it on top of your camper and keep it either nose high or nose low so the water runs off. Just make sure the water will not pool in the "turns" of the cable.

11. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

I would look for a local farmer with a barn or other person with storage shed where you could rent space for this winter. Ask around, post an ad in local venues, Craigstlist or whatever. It's worth paying a little storage to save you PUP, right?

12. dougdrees

dougdrees New Member

I live in NoCo and we get 2-6' of snow a year but rarely do we have over a foot at any point in time. I park my trailer with the front end down about 6" below level. This helps the snow slide off when there are warm days.

I am guessing that you do not want to build something this year and putting a tarp on the ABS roof is not recommended. So, I recommend angling your trailer so the melting snow will slide off and shovel when it gets really deep.

My daughter lives in Summit County at 9,000' so I have seen some deep snows. This year, the heavier snow is projected to be in northern Colorado with less than normal in the San Juans. So, perhaps you don't have to worry too much. But if you will be living there for some time, investing in a sheet metal car port structure or something similar would be a good investment. I am thinking about getting one myself.

13. ExecutiveSkiBum

ExecutiveSkiBum New Member

Hahaha, that is so cute.
    I live at 10,200'
    Haha, that is so cute.
    I live at 10,200' year round in CO. We usually go higher when we camp, and up until a week a ago camping meant tent or pick-up truck. Camping in our a-frame at 11,500' is going to be crazy cushy!

14. Sherronlee

Sherronlee Member

We also live where we get lots of snow. In the past, we have just left it outside but have cleaned the snow off it after every big snowfall. This year we dicided to buy a storage unit for it. This one is the most expensive one but it is super well made and very sturdy. Here is the link... https://www.amazon.com/ShelterLogic-ShelterTUBE-Storage-Shelter-Green/dp/B009MLXBR2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=shelterlogic+shelter+tube+storage+shelter,+green&qid=1605298920&sr=8-1

It has the best anchoring system I have ever seen, so we are not worried about the wind taking it away, as we have had happen with cheaper ones over the years.

upload_2020-11-13_12-23-57.png

Also invest in a snow removal tool ~ you will use it on your house and the winter garage... https://www.amazon.com/COCOHOME-Removal-Adjustable-Scratch-House(15FT)/dp/B08GZ64DFG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3SCRSHDICJ796&dchild=1&keywords=roof+snow+removal+tool&qid=1605299447&sprefix=roof+snow+remo,aps,224&sr=8-5

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  15. smitty16505

smitty16505 New Member

Good luck, please let me how you make out. Are you any where Montrose?

16. Keith Kranker

Keith Kranker New Member

Thanks to EVERYONE for all this great advice! I really appreciate everyone's time. What a great forum and nice group of guys and gals!

17. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

We also live at 9000' in Colorado (well, technically 8885'.) 400 inches of snow per year does not mean that you will have 400 inches of snow piled up on your pup. We have a breathable cover (mostly for UV protection,) and after a big storm we will brush off the top of the pup with a broom.

18. Keith Kranker

Keith Kranker New Member

Thanks for the input. This is really where I landed after all this discussion. I bought a breathable cover off etrailer.com and am planning to brush off the snow after big storms. We'll see how it goes this winter and then maybe make adjustments next year. I couldn't really justify spending hundreds/thousands of dollars a year in storage fees to protect a trailer was only worth $3k or $4k.