Storing my camper for winter

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by geogol, Nov 5, 2016.

1. geogol

geogol New Member

This how I prepared my Viking 2107 of 2013 for storage. Inside I left a lot of drier sheets to deter mice. Any input?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Many people have found mice nesting built from dryer sheets. They do not deter mice.

Cinder blocks are not meant to support weight how you have them. However those levelers do provide a nice pathway for the mice. There is no reason to lower your jacks. The jacks are for the purpose of stopping movement when people are inside.

Place the tires on wood, air to full pressure or 10% over and call it good.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Put a poison bait block in a pet safe trap under the trailer. No mice worries.

4. geogol

geogol New Member

Thank u! Spent 1 hour to installing cinder blocks and playing with jacks. The idea was to spread weight evenly to help tires with less pressure. Talking about pathway for mice... why they can't use tires as pathway. If I remove jacks which way I have to slope it. Considering that storage is 2 hours drive would u recommend still going there to remove blocks and put jacks back? Why wood is better then blocks under tires? Wood holds moisture. No?

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Your method is fine. There is no need to try and ease the load on the tires. The best thing you could do if you wanted to protect your tires is put covers on them. UV will damage them long before sitting on a wet surface will.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I think what you did is fine. My trailer is stored in a field and the tires sink into the ground especially in spring thaw so putting something solid under the tires is better in my case. I don't agree about using wood. I used it under my tongue jack and that thing was absolutely nasty and ants made a home in it come spring. There was no way in heck I was picking that thing up again. I never used the stabilizers during storage as in my mind that provided more access for critters to climb.

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I like the work you did but I believe it is too much. If you really want to protect your tires take them off and store inside! As for the mice I have used everything from drier sheets, fresh cab, snap traps and poison. All of these have worked to some degree but after every winter we always have some sign of mice being in the camper.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I suggest not putting the stabs down.. the tires are designed to the weight of the trailer for long periods of time.. also as the frost heaves the ground at different rates your stabs will push up, reducing the contact point on the tire.. it would be possible to twist or damage the frame just as if you used them for leveling...

PammyM likes this.
  9. geogol

geogol New Member

Thank u my friends for your input! I will go back and remove the stabs in a week. Now does it worth to invest in tire covers? Is Uv that destructive in Ontario Niagara Falls on the lake? Can I use an old BBQ cover for tire cover by cutting it out and tie it up to the tire to protect from UV? Should I go back and collect drier sheets? Or leave it?

Sent from my iPhone

10. davido

davido Active Member

My storage practices:

Go to the do-it-yourself car wash and scrub off any road tar, dust buildup, bird poop, pitch, etc.

Tires and jack wheel sit on cement, covered with a breathable but non-absorbent, durable fabric. This reduces UV-caused deterioration.

Stabilizers up.

Tongue jack down, with tongue wheel sitting in a disk with an inverted dome in the middle (this is available at most trailer supply places). The main reason for storing the tongue jack wheel down in the dome is so that if a kid accidentally or maliciously kicks the chocks out from the wheels, the trailer won't take off down the side yard, down the driveway, and into the street.

That said, most of the tongue weight is supported by a jack stand immediately aft of the jack wheel.

Coupler lock in place.

RV cover that fits the trailer from tongue coupler in the front, all the way to the bumper in the back.

Mouse bait station inside the trailer.

Two rat bait stations under the trailer just inboard of the wheels.

Batteries topped off. Converter plugged in to shore power. (My converter is high enough quality to not cook the batteries. I've added only about 1/8th inch of fluid in two years.)

Water system (including thetford toilet) winterized with the pink RV antifreeze. Built-in water filter removed. Water heater drained completely and standing water blown out with high pressure air. Fresh anode installed.

Blue painter's tape over the exterior furnace exhaust and intake vents.

All hatches closed and locked.

My side yard storage is sheltered from the sun.

And that's it. I've never had rodent intrusion. Never worried about the snow, the rain, the wind, kids, burglars, freezing temps, or sun. When I de-winterize in the spring the trailer always appears just as I left it.

Allykayte likes this.
  11. geogol

geogol New Member

Thank u Davido. That's the most comprehensive input for everyone!

12. davido

davido Active Member

I should mention one last button-up that I've done in the past, and may do again this year if I remember to do it at a time when I have the supplies and tuits.

Take a large but thin trash bag. Cut it into two halves. Use each half to cover wrap one of the fridge vent access covers. If the plastic bag is thin enough you can wrap around the access cover forming an air-tight seal. Then put the cover back in place. This keeps bugs and dust out of the three-way fridge's mechanisms.

Just make 100% sure your propane is off and the fridge is switched off entirely, or you may cause some excitement around the neighborhood a few hours later. ;)

I live in a snowy climate, but not a humid climate. If I lived in a more humid climate I would probably set up a pail of dehumidifying crystals. If I lived somewhere with more bugs, I might open a can of mothballs inside the trailer before sealing it up.

No trailer is totally airtight, but mine is sufficiently airtight that the alcohol from the drops of marine/RV antifreeze left to dry out in the sink and shower pan off-gas enough volatiles as to cause my CO/Propane detector to start beeping. I'm not sure how a mouse would ever get in, but they can be persistent, I guess.

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I did not see it mentioned, but I pull the battery out and store it in the basement. Once a month I will pull it out of the basement and put it on the charger.

14. woodworkerfella

woodworkerfella Member

I didn't see it mentioned, but it is also recommended that you not store it leveled. You want the water to run off of the roof and not pool up.

15. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

I think you are looking good.. Don't care for the mouse latters.. (Stab Jacks) you don't need them just make sure you have either the front or back higher for water run off..and glad you got tires from sitting on wet ground.. I always park mine on wood even between trips.

16. davido

davido Active Member

The advice to store the trailer nose-up or nose-down so that the roof drains really should be qualified with "...if you have a flat roof."

My roof has a slight curve to it. If I were to store is nose-up or nose-down I would only be altering where the apex of the roof's curve is. ...like if you turn a ball 15 degrees it's still a ball.

I store mine as level as I can get it so that the next time I turn on the fridge it will already be in the optimal orientation. I gain no advantage in draining the roof by tipping it forward or back. It drains just fine level. ...and it's under a cover anyway.

17. radioman7

radioman7 New Member

Well here's a new one for you my neighbor has an old coleman seapine and I asked him how he kept criters out of it during winter as he is snug up against a tree line and keeps it out side and he told me he empties his used cat liter from his 2 cats around the trailer even in snowy weather mice operate on smell and once he said they get a wiff of that cat urine they never cross over the liter .He swears by this and he said in the spring he will take a shovel and clean a path spread some lime on the liter and move the pup to new area. No problems with mice ,chips or squirrels. Haven't tried it on our put bet next year we will!!