Storing outside in rural MA - advice, please!

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Palomino Jeff, May 24, 2020.

1. Palomino Jeff

Palomino Jeff New Member

My 20 year old Palomino Colt has been garaged its whole life. We recently moved to a large property that's bordered by woods. Lots of critters, endless insects, and of course the dramatic New England weather. I'm bringing the camper home tomorrow, and all I see are horror stories about ants, mice, mold, bees, etc.
    This camper is in remarkable condition for its age, unfortunately I just can't garage it anymore.
    I'm thinking of laying down a gravel pad for it...beyond that a cover of some sort, spreading some diatomaceous earth around, Damp Rid inside...but I'm just so concerned it's going to get infested or messed up somehow.
    Any advice/experience/must-haves will be greatly appreciated!

2. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Might consider something similar to the pic below; we use Fresh Cab & no probs so far, any possible openings are stuffed w/ copper mesh or steel wool & no food or paper products are left inside...
    1146562.jpg

Palomino Jeff and kcsa75 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Make sure all spots around the pipes, etc are sealed. I use stick traps and rat bait. I also spray with ortho home defense 2x a year. Worked so far. Bit life is always a gamble.

Palomino Jeff likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I have to keep mine stored off site. The biggest, biggest thing is to keep up on maintenance. Inspect every roof seam, gasket, etc and make necessary repairs immediately. Also get some steel wool or something to block any openings you may find. It help to have two people one inside with a flashlight and another outside under the camper. Every where there is a light try to block the hole.
    When storing it for an extended time such as winter storage cover all the vents to block insects trying to move in. Just be sure to uncover those vents when you plan to use the camper. If allowed with your city I would second try and find a special overhang or cover just make sure it's rated for snow as I'm pretty sure New England will give you a few doozies. If not, you can cover it with a breathable cover, but those covers usually don't last much beyond a few seasons in my experience.

5. McSkippy

McSkippy Member

"Large property?" Build a barn!

WVhillbilly likes this.
  6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

If you can build a large class 5 gravel pad that the you can store the camper on and you keep the pad clean and weed free, that should help a lot. I store mine outside in MN and have never had any problems. Of course, seal all openings and keep the general area clear. Clean gravel is not a big draw for critters and rodents and so on. In the winter, we do cover ours with a tarp that is kept off of the roof. the closer the camper is to wild areas, longer grass and woods, the more likely animals or bugs will be around the camper.

Palomino Jeff likes this.
  7. Palomino Jeff

Palomino Jeff New Member

Believe me I'd like to...a few too many expenses at the moment!

8. Palomino Jeff

Palomino Jeff New Member

Yes, that's one of the reasons I was thinking about a pad...I have a landscaper I'll be working with, hopefully we'll get the right material so it's not impossible to roll around. Thx for your comment!