Storing PUP

TonyBCamping

Jun 27, 2022
Hi, I plan on storing my PUP in my driveway while not in use. Aside from obvious things like locking receiver etc, what are some dos and dont's? TIA

TonyBCamping

Jun 27, 2022
Funny you say that. I do live in a HOA community however it seems that most people get by having small campers even small boats. I do plan to cover it etc. If not i do have an alt. storage location . My driveway does have a bit of an incline, recommend lifting it off floor w the jacks or just simply chocks?

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I would look into a tongue lock etc to discourage people from hooking up to it. Maybe even lower your stabilizers to also further dissuade people. Just don't forget they are down yourself. Depending on your neighborhood may even want to either look into a battery lock or removing the battery to discourage people from taking it. You would want to disconnect the battery wires anyway to prevent parasitic discharge while the camper is in storage.

TonyBCamping

Jun 27, 2022
I would look into a tongue lock etc to discourage people from hooking up to it. Maybe even lower your stabilizers to also further dissuade people. Just don't forget they are down yourself. Depending on your neighborhood may even want to either look into a battery lock or removing the battery to discourage people from taking it. You would want to disconnect the battery wires anyway to prevent parasitic discharge while the camper is in storage.
thank you ! this is a pretty decent neighborhood but I am def putting in a tongue lock and lowering the stabs.

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
I use a coupler lock that fits into the coupler like a ball. I also use a coupler latch lock. Probably overkill.

Use an RV cover. Not a plastic tarp.

Use vinyl tire covers to keep the UV light off those tires.

I chock the wheels, but I *also* put the wheel from the front trailer jack into a sort of "dish" that prevents it from rolling. That makes it impossible for kids to kick the chocks out and send it rolling down the driveway. They would first have to put the coupler on a hitch, raise the jack, remove the dish, lower the jack. That's really there just for the vandal / bored kids concern.

Lock everything, lower the stabilizers onto blocks, sent ant bait / rodent bait around.

TonyBCamping

Jun 27, 2022
I use a coupler lock that fits into the coupler like a ball. I also use a coupler latch lock. Probably overkill.

Use an RV cover. Not a plastic tarp.

Use vinyl tire covers to keep the UV light off those tires.

I chock the wheels, but I *also* put the wheel from the front trailer jack into a sort of "dish" that prevents it from rolling. That makes it impossible for kids to kick the chocks out and send it rolling down the driveway. They would first have to put the coupler on a hitch, raise the jack, remove the dish, lower the jack. That's really there just for the vandal / bored kids concern.

Lock everything, lower the stabilizers onto blocks, sent ant bait / rodent bait around.
thank you ! I appreciate the info

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
After years of storing off-site, we put in a gravel pad next to our garage and I put up a 6' privacy fence around it. Not that I really worried about having the pup wander off, but now it's not even visible from the road, which I like for both aesthetics and security.