Storing the Grill/BBQ

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by crisis, Aug 4, 2017.

1. crisis

crisis New Member

Hey,

Our new to us Rockwood 2318G comes with a BBQ that mounts on the camper. I have a few questions;
    Do you use the BBQ that came with your trailer?
    If you, do you use it mounted to the trailer or away from the trailer?
    How do you transport the BBQ? They tend to smell after a few greasy burgers have been cooked on them and wouldn't your trailer stink too.
    Cheers

2. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Mine has the outdoor grill as well. I use it attached to the side of the trailer since that's where the gas line is located. I would have to get an adapter to connect it to a propane tank away from the trailer and I spend too much money on other accessories so that's really far down on the priority list.

I mostly cook with pans on top of it and just wash the pans, but when I do use it as a grill, I clean it off with a grill brush and paper towels before I put it away. I try not to let it get too smelly since it stays inside the trailer when we aren't camping.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

My grills get used when in the pup and when camping with scouts, so they generally live in the garage. Mine didn't come with a grill but I had a Coleman Road Trip that I adapted to use off the low pressure, and then bought a Weber Q on clearance. I usually cook under the awning. I got rid of the stock stove to reclaim counterspace, and use an outside stove instead.

4. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

I never had an outdoor grill come with my pup up, but did with the Hybrid. Only used it once. it took forever to clean, never used it again. in fact I gave it away.. I went to a table top gas grill. I have used up three of them through the years, and now have a Webber Q. This has been my favorite to date. I do have a cover for it and just set it inside the camper door, easy to get to easy to load.. I sometimes take it home and give it a really good cleaning, then it rides back and forth in the back of the truck..i also use a 6 ft hose connected to a 5 gal propane tank that stays unhooked between camping trips...

5. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member

I have an outdoor that came with the camper, but we haven't used it yet. We typically have a few tables set up on the side of the camper with all of our junk, so that area isn't really available for the grill to come out. That and we have a Coleman camp grill, the three burners inside, a Weber Smokey Joe, and I just picked up a Coleman Roadtrip LXE. I have problem with grills...

6. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

We use ours every time we go camping, but I grill meat on the small Weber grill with charcoal and wood chips. The gas grill is just for doing veggies, although I do have a griddle for it and have used it for pancakes and bacon a few times I just put each of them in a plastic garbage bag put it in the back of the truck when we leave and clean it when I get home.

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Mine did not come with the camper. I have the grill and a Coleman stove that I converted to LP. When I use the grill I put tin foil on the burner and just throw it away later. I carry a spare LP tank sitting in a milk crate (for stability) and usually I set up on a picnic table or my own table that I carry. I recently purchased a large electric skillet which is easier as I can cook all the eggs, bacon or sausage for both of us at one time. I usually cook outside as I feel more at home (plus I can toss some scraps to the Chihuahuas) and not get caught by the DW, (they are, after all camping too :)) As for storing they g into the storage area in the TT, or in a large plastic box then stored in the shop until the next trip.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have a stand alone bbq that I transport in an extra large hockey bag, it barely fits but it works..

9. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Ours came with the camper but it semi-permanently lives on a shelf in my garage. The only time it may be worth the space is if we go somewhere that does not have a grill available to use (I prefer charcoal). Otherwise I may just keep it like new to maybe help with reselling later.

10. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

One came with the camper and it has never been used and stored in the garage. Not sure why I still have it.

11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the gas stove top or a grill, either gas or charcoal. We have a stove top that we hang on the side of the camper. DW uses it to make stuff in posts and pans.

We also have a small tablet top propane grill for burgers, steaks, etc. I usually clean the drip pan real well then put it back in its carrying bad and set it on the floor of the Pup when we close it up. We've never noticed any adverse smells. [:)C]

12. Caper

Caper Member

We got one with our pop up and use it often.
    the first couple of times I noticed grease and bbq sauce grossly collected on the bottom. Ive since used copious amounts of oven cleaner to get it clean and have since lined the bottom with tin foil after each use.

Caper

13. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

14. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

We don't have a grill that hangs off the side of the trailer, but rather use a portable much like BikeNfish, for several reasons. First, I don't like to cook so close to the side of the A-frame. Second, most of our camping involves bear country, and we put the portable as far as possible from the trailer at night or when away. It has been licked clean occasionally, by critters unknown. Finally, sometimes we like to take the grill along when we go on a day trip.

Our A-frame has a front storage bunker, which is a mixed blessing, as it is easy to get too much weight up front. The grill travels there, inside a burlap sack from Tractor Supply.

15. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

We have the RVQ stainless that hangs on side of camper. Use it on a regular basis. Store it in the front conpartment thats accessable from outside.

16. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Have a Rockwood 2280, with the RVQ grill. It comes in a bag.
    I put it in the bag, and store it under the dinette table during transport.

As for the smell. I treat it the same way I treat my gas grills. When I'm done, crank the heat all the way up, and let everything burn off. Let it cool, and lightly clean.
    The burners always rust out before anything appears to get too dirty.

17. brokenotbroken

brokenotbroken Member

We have an RVQ that mounts on the side of the camper. We use it every trip. First meal after setup is usually hamburgers or hotdogs/brats. I store it in a bin that I keep all my setup stuff in (chocks, blocks, water hose, etc). The bin goes on top of the table when we pack up. Every once in a while I clean it.