Storing the PU in the yard, the back yard. An odd story...

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by dbhost, Jun 13, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So my house is backed up to a creek, and there is just enough space that I can drive my 4x4 pickup towing a pup along the top before it dips to the creek bed...

I have some options. The friend that is offering and working the barter for the pop up is offering to let me keep it on his land, OR I can rebuild my back fence (It's getting to be time anyway) and build in a large gate to allow a trailer to be backed into the yard. Not a huge trailer, No more than 18' tongue to tail, which brings me to the question...

Does anyone do this? Is there a problem you can see with me doing this? I have storage available for free like I said, but it is an additional 30 minute drive from my house to get the trailer on weekends, OR I can get it a day early, and just be ready to hitch up and go and tick off the HOA on the days it is street parked...

I am leaning toward ticking off the HOA the more I think about it...

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Well, if you live in a HOA, as you probably know, go through the bylaws with a fine-tooth comb.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Like you I have an HOA and they can really ruin your day when it comes to breaking their rules. So sadly I'm stuck parking my camper off site. Now if you think you can modify the fence so you can get the camper in the back go for it, assuming the HOA is ok with the modifications. So perhaps take your friend up on the offer until you figure out the best way to get the camper in the back. I agree it's a pain but I didn't want the HOA to throw an extravigant fine or worse have the camper towed.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to store my trailer or anything else where I can't keep an eye on it.

I put a gate in my fence. I back 90 ft from the curb to the back fence and thread a 11 ft opening with my 25 ft TT and 22 ft truck about midway.....No big deal.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I would keep it on your own land if at all possible. I don't like storing things at other places or feeling like I'm indebted to anyone. Just my [2C]

At the same time, I'm a person who lives on a large parcel of land, in the boonies, and I would gladly let a friend store their camper here and not feel like they owe me anything. So I guess it depends on the person.

6. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I kept my pop up in the back yard. I have chain link with a drive gate at the front. I would back it in after every trip. It was a tight squeeze (10 feet total between the house and the neighbor's fence, so I had to keep it dead straight. I wish I could do the same with my TT, but there's a tree partially blocking the gate. (7 ft pop up fit, 8 ft TT does not.)

As others have said though, comb the by-laws. Maybe have a lawyer review the situation if you can.

7. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Or just call up a member of the board. I'm not sure what type of HOA you have, but ours is chilled and relaxed. We only really act if members start to complain about something. I sometimes leave my pup outside the garage for more than 24 hours, which hasn't fostered any complaints. If it were my dad's old-people neighborhood (I'm almost old enough to be allowed to live there!), then some old Mrs. Kravitz type with a stopwatch would undoubtedly pick up the phone on the dot.

I don't worry about pissing off the HOA; I want to be a good neighbor.