Storing when not in use Q

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Christopher Haggerty, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Christopher Haggerty

Christopher Haggerty New Member

Sorry if this has been covered before,

Just wanted to get a sense of recommendation for storing/parking TT when not in use. I'm going to be keeping it on my property. The area where I have designated is mostly dirt right now, some grass but not where the wheels will be.

I read that rvs should preferably be stored on concrete, asphalt or stone when not in use as a means of minimizing undercarriage exposure to dampness. I would prefer to not put in any of the options listed but will if I have to. Does parking/storing on this type of surface really make that big of a difference?

What about any kind of weather sealer to apply to the undercarriage, anything like that available?

2. Christopher Haggerty

I also wanted to ask if using a cover even during season is recommended? and on wheel covers, I don't live in an area with really high heat even during the Summer. Would these still be recommended?

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Having a hard surface to park/store is a really nice bonus, but it's not going to do much damage if you can't. Honestly, I doubt my rig (2011) has spent more than 2% of it's life sitting on a hard surface. My pad at home is gravel, the storage yard pad is gravel, most of my campsites are gravel... it's a gravel thing here in Alaska. I would think the distance between gravel and grass to be very small, and nothing to worry about.

As for the tires, covering them is really best. It protects them from UV damage, which is more significant that contact with the dirt. It's highly recommended. Do I do it? No, it's a bit of a pain, so I do not.

If you have a good RV cover, and you're patient enough to cover it anytime you're not using it during the season, it certainly wouldn't hurt anything. Most folks who elect to cover, which I do not, treat it like a pool... cover it up at the end of the season, then take the cover off for the season, repeat.

Conventional wisdom on undercarriage sealant is not to, usually. The wood underlayment needs to breathe, and the underside is the open face to do so.

Honestly, get in it and camp... these concerns will dim once the rig is in use more.

neighbormike, Sjm9911 and SteveP like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Lol, i do the exact same. Screw it , another year on my tires that i will replace early isnt worth the cover. And covering the TT looks to be a big pita. I do keep mine level and set up so i can walk in anytime and use it. So levelers down all the time and plugged in. It has come in handy duing power outages. I try to put plywood under the tires, and blocks under the levelers. I do bug spray 2x a year. Just ne sure to check the water levels in the batteries once and a while. If its pluged in all the time they might overcharge and boil over. I have the battery cut off switch that i try and switch every month or so.

DiamondGirl, neighbormike and generok like this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

For years my trailer got parked over top of dirt, used a couple 2x8 lengths of pressure treated wood under the wheels.. I use tire covers, on the side that see's the sun.

neighbormike likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I stored my popup in a farmers field for many years. It was a grass field. The biggest issue I found was the farmer wasn’t always great about mowing the grass and it was encouraging bugs and other critters to make its way into the camper. So I had to be extremely careful to make sure every last hole was closed up tight. Can’t tell you how many ants has made their home in my camper. NASTY. We also had a problem about units sinking into the soft ground in spring thaw after winter. So I did have have to put pavers under my camper tires and pavers under the tongue wheel. His field must have been quite fertile as it even sucked my pavers in over time. Then trying to get the camper out in the spring required the farmers tractor as even 4 wheel drive struggled with towing out of that field. So my two cents would at the very least dump some gravel down in the area. If you have a short ways to the driveway you may not have to worry about loss of traction like I did, but spring does cause some pretty soft ground which can tear your yard up if your not careful. Also be very diligent to keeping your grass trimmed down and don’t allow it to get long next to the camper. It wasn’t the moisture that was the problem for me so much as the bugs and mud. I left my popup uncovered for the most part except for winter storage. Good luck.

7. Christopher Haggerty

Thanks generok, appreciate your feedback. Us newbies got concerns, it's what we do lol. All of it makes good sense though. We picked up our new rig Thursday and I've got a whole set of questions trumping the surface thing already!

8. Christopher Haggerty

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Obviously it's not something we've got to decide on tomorrow or even this year. I like the idea of the pavers or pressure treated boards. Will probably do something like that this year at least.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  9. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

Here in the AZ desert… I have tire covers and a cover for KODI. We cover KODI during storage since the sun is very damaging. KODI is currently kept on a dirt surface until we get a new RV carport. We are currently shopping and saving $$$$ for a bigger RV carport. We store KODI at home in the backyard. The RV Carport will require a permit as a detached structure. A concrete pad will be added too.

We are lucky to be able to store at home. Eventually it will be cost effective after awhile plus it’s convenient to have at home. The Carolina carport used for DiamondGirl now houses our boat and motorcycle. It’s too short and small for KODI.

Happy Camping…[suv&hy]