Stormy Superior

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by CampingDad, Jan 21, 2018.

1. CampingDad

CampingDad New Member

So July of 2016 I was camping on the shore of Lake Superior at Porcupine Mountain State Park in Michigan. We were right on the lake, nothing between the camper and the lake. We went to bed hearing there was a chance of rain, didnt seem like anything bad was on the way, no watches or warning when we went to bed. I didnt think there was any reason to rioll up the awning, or turn the camper away from the wind. (we were broadside on an angle,door right at the lake. At 5:30 am i hear a few rain drops, i got up to look out, and 2 min later, the wrath of Lake Superior got us !!! a wall of wind and rain slammed into the campground, and my poor pop up. the first shot of wind blew in my door and started to take the awning anchors from the dround. Later we found out the winds were 75mph at the closet airport inland a mile. The wind took out my door, through the awning pole though the canvas near where the door was, and eventually the wind tor the awning part off, and snapped the main cable from the wind beating on us for 20 min. Moral of the story is, Lake Superior storm wins vs an old pop up. Hopefully i can post pics. The camper roof was held up by the fridge we have on the counter inside. Posring the storm damage, and after i repaired it.

Attached Files:

jumpoff, Jorja, jnc and 1 other person like this.
  2. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

WOW! That's pretty fierce looking. The repair job looks good. I wish the paint on mine was as bright as yours.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yes the storms of Superior are famous ... as Gordon Lightfoot sang about ..

Glad nobody got hurt ..

4. JT2

JT2 Member

>> as Gordon Lightfoot sang about ..

And Stan Rogers: "But I told that kid a hundred times -- don't take the Lakes for granted. They go from calm to a hundred knots so fast they seem enchanted. "

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

6. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Ya beat me to it. Gitche Gumee doesn't play.

[♫]
    Lake Huron rolls; Superior sings in the rooms of her ice-water mansions. Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams; the islands and bays are for sportsmen. Farther below, Lake Ontario takes in what Lake Erie can send 'er. And the iron boats go, as the mariners all know, with the gales of November remembered!
    [/♫]

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they called 'gitche gumee'
    The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
    When the skies of November turn gloomy...

8. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

When you first started the story I was afraid that you were going to say that a big wave had ripped through your camper....

9. CampingDad

CampingDad New Member

I did take a shot to the head by the door flying through the camper at me.... i have rebuild the brackets on top to hold the door better, especially the top that broke loose ..working on the bottom corners for something better then the twisty things. DSC_0618.JPG
    I used some stock aluminum parts from ACE, that the door now slides up into..when i tear down, i just throw the door on the dining cushions

10. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

When the main hatchway gave way, did you say, "Fellas it's been good to know ya"?

11. HC1

HC1 New Member

Bummer, hope it gets all fixed up. Would like to hit the UP for camping one of these days.

12. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

No one has lived until they get snowed in Houghton MI during one of their nastiest blizzards. Last time I ever drove up there to visit anyone.:D