Stove

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by chrispt, May 20, 2019.

1. chrispt

chrispt Member

I know the outside stove is usually meant to be attached directly to the popup. I feel a bit wary about that but was wondering if anyone else sets theirs on a nearby picnic table. Do you find the hose is long enough? Would I be better using a different stove with a longer hose?

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I use separate stove and propane.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Ours hooks to the side and we’ve never had a problem

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Try it out a bit, i found i liked a grill better then a stove. If you like the stove, and want to move it further out, you can get a longer hose.

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. George2018

George2018 Member

I have a longer line and set it on the picnic table under the awning. I use a portable BBQ not a stove.

6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I'd test it out and see if it's one of those crummy low-powered ones everybody hates and if so, get a GOOD cooking device and set it up where you want it.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I generally do not setup the stove on the camper's attachment rail. I'm not a very good cook and I don't want to get the canvas smoky/greasy. I don't want a bear looking at my camper and licking his chops.

8. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

It sounds like you are thinking about using a longer hose to to connect the stove to the camper, but to setting the stove farther away? If so, I would take precautions to make sure the stretched hose isn't a tripping/snagging hazard. Pulling a flaming stove and whatever you are cooking on top of you could ruin a camping trip. I would think using a separate propane tank and hose that could be tucked under a table or whatever would be safer...and give you more options for where to set it up since you won't be tethered to the camper.

Dingit likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have my range on the side of the pup, i did get an extention hose for my new blackstone griddle. I plan to move it towards the front of the pup and away from it a bit. I do have a aluminum folding table to put it on. Additionally , the hose will run behing the extra gear, coolers i bring with me. The biggest trip hazzards for me are the tag lines on the pop up screen tent or awning.

cam_1100 likes this.
  10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I found hanging the stove on the PU was a good place for a coleman stove with it 1lb bottles

& then there were times for the camp chef 2 burner

11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I have a folding table I setup next to the PUP to put the stove on.

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I hated my pup stove. It was heavy and bulky, low powered, and blew out all the time when there was any sort of breeze. I ended up cutting off the hose and using it to adapt my Coleman road trip grill to run off the outside quick connect. I reclaimed my interior counterspace for other needs.

Honestly if I was planning on using the picnic table to cook on I would just get a cheap camp stove and run off the bottles. Most of the time the picnic tables are way too far for an extension hose to reach, and I don't want a 30'+ hose snaking across the campsite for me to trip on.

I set up my camp kitchen right outside the door underneath the awning. I don't worry about food smells - I don't camp with bears nor do I boondock, and you get enough smells from a crowded campground with everyone cooking outside anyway.

I found a regular camp stove does a much better job of cooking, and has far more utility. Currently I use a Weber Q grill, Camp Chef Weekender stove and an old Coleman white gas camp stove. For larger/longer trips I'll haul the Road Trip as well. All of these have been modded to run off the camper supply as well, so I don't need 1 lb bottles.

13. erich82

erich82 Active Member

There's nothing worse than waiting for your water boil at 5am so you can make coffee, and a low pressure popup stove does a great job at making you wait. Save the cash youd spend on the extension hose and buy a decent camp stove. Anything around 22000BTU will boil your water much faster.
    Low pressure stoves tend to be around 5000-6000btu per side, compared to 11000 on the portable 1lb propane stoves.

14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Anyone know if the 3 burner ranges (with oven) have more oomph than the standard cooktops? Feels like it, compared to my other camper.
    The 2008 Highlander models have an attached high pressure stove. It's pretty good! And further from the tenting than the interior one.

I don't know where the water for my coffee gets boiled. No point getting up before there's coffee. The outside cooktop is definitely faster, but it's usually pretty cold outside.

15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

One day when I have time to kill I'm going to set up my PUP stove and my camp stove and compare boil times. I use the camp stove tent camping and the PUP stove when PUP camping. I prefer the PUP stove because it has more room, but the DW finds it heavy.

16. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Just at the BTU per range, and that will tell you how much heat can be output.

17. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

That's the annoying thing about popups, isn't it? Can't just run out to look at something. :)

Sjm9911 likes this.