Straits State Park, St. Ignace MI

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
Straits State Park, St. Ignace Michigan. At the confluence of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron lies our next campground visited in 2022. Straits State Park, located on the north landing of the Mity Mac Bridge. There are plenty of tourist traps to fall into, so watch some YouTube and know what you’d like to see before you get there.
There are three large campgrounds of choice, most with power only but many without any services, especially those sites located along the water’s edge. A clean dump station and water sites are easily found. Most sites are small and sort of packed together. IF you can camp on the edges, and don’t mind an old cemetery as your neighbor, you’re all good!
We selected Site 9 and I am sure it was one of the nicest spots I could have secured within the area. This was a large, shaded spot, with a view of Lake Huron just round our site, looking south past a tent site which remained empty most of our stay. Our firepit area was slightly elevated, which made a perfect spot for the dogs.

IMG_3044.JPG IMG_3050.JPG IMG_3051.JPG IMG_3071.JPG IMG_3092 perfect.JPG IMG_3495.JPG

Last edited:

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
Right on Mike! It is the best kind of tourist trap, a trap with options. It is a once in a lifetime deal. But, not sure I'd bring lil kids, too spendy NOT to remember the voyage! We even took the Mighty Mac tour, which loops you under the bridge for an "underskirt" view [LOL]

We also took a day trip to Sault Ste. Marie, at the Canadian Boarder for a boat tour of the Soo Locks area. We were lucky enough to share the locks with a Tall Ship, departing from Two Harbors, MN to it’s home in Pennsylvania (or was the Captain’s best guess). When your sightseeing tour boat captain comes down for a pic or two, you know you’re seeing something cool – or so he explained.
IMG_3288.JPG IMG_3328.JPG IMG_3332.JPG IMG_3353.JPG IMG_3387.JPG IMG_3396.JPG IMG_3397.JPG IMG_3429.JPG IMG_3435.JPG

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
Looks like an awesome trip. I have often wondered about the state parks near the bridge.

We did a similar trip about 4 years ago, but went up into Canada too. Lake Superior Provincial Park has some awesome campgrounds.

My kids had to go to the locks twice.

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
Good point about the youngins! It’s not a “Mickey Mouse” kinda place… we were probably in our early teens when my folks took us there. First time I ever saw the “Northern Lights” was at that campground… in the Starflyer of course! [:)C]

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
Looks like a good time we are on the south side of the Mackinaw at a luxurious KOA campground this time... Not really ruffing it in the Pop up :) but the weather has been great !
I do like me some KFC and some KOA, all in moderation of course~! Good to hear the weather is holding nicely for you.

The drive up to the Canada border isn't all that long, if you have the time.

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Michigan
Sometime in the future I am betting, just not this year only one more this year and that's in 2 weeks to Frankfort with some friends and the wife said she has no more set up this year for us..... Surprisingly...... LoL