Strapping kayak to pup?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by NegrilJerry, Feb 16, 2021.

1. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

Has anyone had experience with carrying a kayak or two on the pup? I have a few extra heavy crank-type cinch straps and I'm thinking of going that route instead of on top of the TV (SUV).
    Thanks!

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I carried an old early 80s canoe on the roof of my pup a few times.. roof was 12ft long and canoe was 14ft heavy fiberglass model. Couple of the foam pieces from a roof top carry kit laid under where the canoe touched the roof , a ratchet strap front and back to the trailer frame, then 2 straps running cross ways over the canoe and back around under the trailer to secure it... I was fortunate enough not to have an a/c unit on the roof, so the canoe sat right in the center of the roof..

gladecreekwy likes this.
  3. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

Aha, AC unit - we have one but I figure a yak could fit on either side. Long reach for the straps though, would have to combine them. As with rooftop, the front strap is critical, to keep the wind from pushing it to the side

4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Be careful not to ratchet too tight, yaks can warp in sun/heat, especially sit inside ones...