Stuck stories

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by mrootes, Jul 14, 2011.

1. mrootes

mrootes 2009 Rockwood Freedom 1940LTD

My earlier post covered how we got out of a bad traffic jam last week.

Which got me to thinking: Does anyone have stories of how they either got STUCK hauling their PUP or how they got out of a tight spot?

I remember vaguely as a kid being stuck in a cemetary where the drivers (my friends mom and dad) thought they could turn around there. They ended up standing in the cemetary yelling at each other - what a scene!!

Any others?

2. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

My wife's best friend has had a camper as long as we have. They tow with an ancient Chevy Venture van. I hate to say I told you so, but they tow a 1400 lbs PUP with a van that without the tow package is rated at 2000 lbs. I did mention on more than one occasion that I thought a tranny cooler would be good. They have three boys, and when they camp that van is stuffed with gear.

So they were driving home after a nice trip, and hit a Sunday afternoon traffic jam. They were doing stop and go for 2 hours. The tranny gave out. They and their PUP had to be towed, and of course you can't find rentals that tow, so they had to leave it with the shop that did the tranny repair. It could have been worse, they could have been in the fast lane when the tranny went, instead of the slow lane.

3. mrootes

Last year i was going to turn around by driving through a small parking lot of store front shops. Expecting to come out the other end, I find it has no exit. I tried backing out but got it stuck jacknifed and now I blocked others from coming or going.

By this time, EVERYONE is watching me. I ended up having to unhitch and push the PUP into a position that I could re-hitch and get the heck out of there.

Never been so embarrassed in my entire life...

4. littlegopher

littlegopher New Member

Mine is from my childhood too!

When I was a kid, we had a hi-lo trailer that we'd take annually to a campground near Sioux Narrows in Ontario. One year, we had crossed the border into Fort Francis. My dad had just made a turn on one of the city's streets, when the tire of the trailer went into manhole. I can't remember if it was the axle that was broken, but whatever it was took a very long time to fix at a place that worked on semitrucks.

We ended up staying the night in a motel (ill-afforded by my family at that time I'm sure) and we did get to drive off the next day by the afternoon. I remember proudly offering my new talent of division, and coming up with some awful miles per hour we getting by the time we took off - for some reason, my dad did not want to know :)

5. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

Not really a camping "stuck story" but, one year we decided to sneak off to Cocoa Beach during the four day Thanksgiving holiday. On our way back we stopped at a gas station off I-75 in Gainesville, Florida. This couple had a huge U-haul truck,pulling a car on a trailer,wedged between the building and the gas pumps. The guy was on the ground giving orders while the gal tried over and over to maneuver the rig without taking out the pumps or the building.

I didn't want to get in the middle of their business but by the time I finished filling my car they had made zero progress. I offered to help and while the guy was kinda mulling over the idea the gal was climbing out of the truck as fast as she could, saying "Yes, please!" lol

I felt bad for them. Companies like U-haul rent those huge box trucks and trailers to drivers with no training and in many cases no experience pulling even the smallest utility trailer, much less a car-hauler.

6. wardco

wardco New Member

I did have to cut down a tree one time to get out of a tight spot while boondocking. It was a little tree and probably sickly anyway.....

7. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Great story, mrootes - I've pulled into a couple of those deadend parking lots thinking I could do a turn-around, only having to figure out how to back out!

One time I had to back the p'up into a very difficult to get into campsite only to have the TV on an upgrade angle to pull out of. Getting the TV out while unhitched was no problem, but when it was time to leave the 2WD pickup could not get enough traction in the soft ground to pull the p'up up out of the site. The answer was to use a "come-along" that I keep in the truck for pulling it out of a tight spot. I was afraid the truck plus the p'up would be too much for the come-along cable, so used it only on the p'up, pulling it out of the "hole" far enough to where we could turn it 90 degrees and hitch up with the truck not having to pull the load uphill.

Thank goodness for that come-along - a great buy for $39.95, of course that was awhile ago!

8. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

Let's just say that winter, soft ground and mud, and a gentle incline are not conducive to moving your PuP around.

Lesson learned, and thankfully the wrecker had a nice long cable attached to the winch.

9. Don_Bev1972

Don_Bev1972 You're never too old to have a happy childhood!

Haven't needed it yet, but I carry a 4-ton come-a-long, towing straps and slings for just such a situation. I figure it's only a matter of time.

10. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

This past MM Day weekend was the first trip in the p'up. We went to a new area we'd never been called Rio Chaco Wilderness Canyon for some holiday boondocking. I pulled into an area called "Whirlpool" which I had read about as a good boondocking spot. As we creeped down the little road we finally came to a spot we thought looked really nice right along the river. I had to go down a pretty steep embankment from the road to get down into the spot.....didn't really think much of it at the time.

Then I parked the p'up in a nice cozy spot....by cozy I mean I got it in there without too much difficulty....but once I was parked I started to ponder how I would get it out.

[​IMG]

The next morning after breakfast I decided I would take a little drive to explore the immediate area and continue looking for possible sites for next time. I came to the embankment and thought....Hmmmm......is that more steep than yesterday? I started to crawl up the embankment in front wheel drive and the tires began spinning in the soft sand near the top of the climb. I thought....oh crap....how am I going to pull an additional 3K#s up that thing when we leave?

On departure day, it took almost an hour, but I finally got the p'up out of it's parking spot....now to tackle the embankment. We rolled up to it and I immediately knew I was going to have to remove the tongue jack to keep it from digging in as the TV started up the grade. Once that was off, I climbed just a little to see if the tongue was going to clear ok.....ok, all good there. I back down a little and put the Cruz in AWD and hit the hill doing a steady 5 MPH.....Yeah, I made it. She did a lot better climbing that thing with all that weight then I thought she would.

Go Veracruz.

11. gusbell

gusbell New Member

Mine wasn't camping with a PU but with a gooseneck horse trailer back about 20 years ago. We used to go all over the Ohio river valley camping and horseback riding. TN, KY, OH, MI, IN. There was a big trail ride in Ky that we would go to every year, Owlsley County that was a 5 day camping trail riding event. Approximately 600-700 people on horseback and 100-200 horse drawn wagons or buggies or carts. A real mix of folks from Tour buses pulling bumper pull trailers to people unloading their horses out of the back of pu trucks with cattle gates around the beds.

Anyway, one year we got there later in the week than normal and the best camping spots on the fairground were gone. We ended up down on on corner of the fairground with a huge 70' embankment behind us that went UP to the highway. We were on a pretty good section of sloping ground and had to kind of jacknife my googeneck horse trailer in there to even get parked. A couple days of rain and our campsite turned into a mud hole from all the run off from the embankment but there was nothing to do about it as they had people blocking us in due to the crowd that year. Basically lived with it until it was time to go and everyone around us was pulling out so we could get enough room to get out ourselfs. You guessed it. Spinning like crazy even with the 2500K 4x4. Ended up hooking a pair of draft horses to the tow hook in the front and having them tug while I was locked in low gear and getting out enough to regain traction. All the FORD guys had some fun but none took me up on pulling their truck where I was parked and showing me how to get out. No truck was coming out of there without help. Think we made the front page of the local paper that week .

12. mrootes

And that is excatly why we always put a couple draft horses in our PUP every time we go.

It's not a matter of "if" but "when"!! [LOL]

13. Camper_Dave

Camper_Dave New Member

Not really a stuck story but I do remember bringing the PUP home for the first time. Looking at my driveway and feeling my heart pounding then looking around to make sure no one was around and would see the carnage of trailer parking I was about to do! [LOL]

In the end after a 30 minute game of forward-turn wheel - reverse - turn wheel - forward - turn wheel other way - reverse , I managed to park it relatively straight.

14. papachaz

papachaz New Member

not a camper stuck story, but i found out years ago my procraft 200 combo fish n ski i had at the time was too wide to go through the drive through for lunch at a particular place in town [LOL] [:(!] [LOL]

15. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

I camped at my parents house out in the country this memorial day. Signs were posted that the road out was going to be closed for them to reoil on the day I was scheduled to leave (gravel and dirt road, gets oiled and graded a few times a year). No problem, I planned to skip that road and go down to the next mile past it. I left at noon and took off. Got to the corner and the worked had all of their trucks/bulldozers/graders parked in the road I was planning on driving down. They told me to go ahead and drive on the oiled road.

I took a few minutes trying to figure out what I was going to do, as the road was freshley turned, oiled, and not packed yet, but I couldn't back it up the 1/2 mile back to my parents house and they refused to move their trucks. So up the oily road I went. Did I mention it was hilly? Very.

Suffice it to say, I was proud of my car that day, as it managed to pull that pup up those hills (of course, the traction control system was screaming at me, and the ABS brakes were not happy, and we were slipping and sliding all over the place). I knew for certain I was going in the ditch, but no, we made it home safe and sound. But very, very, very dirty, as I slung oily road dirt all over the front of the pup, clear up onto the air conditioner!

16. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

The closest thing to a stuck story I have was back when I lived in Florida, and bought my first boat. Maybe the second or third time I took it out, I made the classic mistake and forgot the drain plug. By the time I realized it, and had to run across the launch parking lot, back the truck in and get the boat on the trailer, it was pretty darn full of water, so my 16 foot boat had an extra fifteen hundred pounds of water in it, and my little 2wd S10 smoked the tires all the way up the ramp pulling it out. It took nearly an hour for the water to completely drain out. That was probably one of the more embarrassing moments for me that had to do with towing anything.

17. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

very first time ever camping with the PUP, it rained the entire week before our weekend, so on friday when we got there, the ground was very soft, i pulled into my spot and had to make a right turn so i could back the PUP in, and sure enough, the back tires started to spin...well having had Jeeps before, I was prepared, I have BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's on my cherokee, so I stopped, put it in 4-LO and pulled that PUP right around and backed her in without any trouble.. when i got out, there were nice fresh trenches where my tires had dug in, but I got it in that spot..... the folks next to my spot were out and watching me, the guy came over after and said he though for sure I would get stuck. I helped one other family pull their trailer out of their spot that weekend, their truck just wouldnt pull it up the small hill to get out of their spot. I love having 4 wheel drive!

18. papachaz

papachaz New Member

people who don't have 4 wheel drive, don't know just how great it is! even if you're not on something slippery, the extra grip and pull by being in that extra low gives even a small truck a lot more pulling power. i used a nissan one day to pull the neighbors full size conversion van up his driveway, he'd broke down, pulled it home with an S10, but couldn't get it up the driveway. I told him i'd get my truck and be right back, i heard him mumbling, 'why does he think his truck will do it, it's smaller than mine' [:O] imagine that, 4low and up the hill we went [LOL]

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

When I was moving from WV to FL I stayed behind until our home sold. Everyone but me, 2 kids, and 2 dogs were already living down here so I was on my own. I towed a U-Haul down with the last of our belongings. Everything was fine until I got to Jacksonville and they had closed I-10 due to smoke from the wild fires at that time. It was midnight or so and I had no other directions so I was already in a panic of sorts.

In completely unfamiliar surroundings I somehow ended up on some unknown 2-lane highway (one lane each way.) I knew within the first couple of miles I was going the wrong way and needed to turn around. Then I passed a sign saying, "Next exit 20 miles." Not willing to go that far, I decided to make an illegal U-turn.

Needless to say, this didn't go well. The U-Haul ended up in a ditch with my Jeep sticking out in the road. After a lot of frenzied backing up, pulling forward, and turning this way and that, I was able to at least drive straight head IN THE DITCH. So there I am, in the middle of the night with kids and dogs in a strange state driving parallel the to the road in a ditch. I'm sure if anyone had came along they would have thought I was drunk.

Eventually I came to a spot where the ditch was not as deep and I had some momentum to get back onto the road. I was far enough over that I could then make the turn to head the opposite direction. Never again....

20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

During my "stuck" story I completely FORGOT I had 4WD!! My Jeep was in 2WD through the entire incident. I'm sure a simple shift into 4 wheel would have pulled me right out. I was very tired, had been on the road for 16 hours. I was in a dark, scary, unfamiliar place with 2 kids and in a semi-panic. I felt like a complete idiot when DH asked why I didn't shift over.